Elderly Man Barred from Selling Homemade Fruitcakes

This man can'r even make fruitcakes and sell them to friends because he didn't get approval from the government... Is this what you people want?

Intelligence: Elderly Man Barred from Selling Homemade Fruitcakes

Define "you people." I used to work with a Latina who sold tamales to her co-workers every year at Christmas. They were AWESOME. We have people who come by my office weekly selling boiled peanuts. I see no reason why small producers like this should be regulated by governmental interference. What's next? Making kids get a license to sell lemonade next to the street?

Define "you people." I used to work with a Latina who sold tamales to her co-workers every year at Christmas. They were AWESOME. We have people who come by my office weekly selling boiled peanuts. I see no reason why small producers like this should be regulated by governmental interference. What's next? Making kids get a license to sell lemonade next to the street?

Yes, if Liberals had their way that is EXACTLY what is next.

Darn, learned something new....that's gonna get in my way...

I have 7 apple trees on this property, the first year here, I just let the Deer eat them, but this passed year, I took a bunch and developed a great apple sauce recipe, even tried it out on a group of about 20 people at the local antique store's thursday night "pot luck", 2 thursday's in a row, and all the people that tried it, loved it....

So I thought I would try to harvest all the apples or at least half of them and leave the other half for the deer and jar a bunch of apple sauce and sell it to the locals....to make some extra money.

Guess I need to look in to the Law here in Maine.... or I can just take the attitude of 90% of Mainers, "everything is legal, as long as you don't get caught!"

this whole story is utterly ridiculous, he should be allowed to sell his cakes....to the 10-14 people that have bought them from him the last 10 years...

this ruling just doesn't make sense....

What about Bake sales....? Those are all homemade cakes, cookies and pies?

Care

I would have to say "you people" means liberals... Afterall it is liberals who want the government involved in everything yes?

and when you get sick because the food was mishandled... improperly stored... contains rodent feces or hair?

there's a reason for regulation. you want to give a friend a gift, go for it. you want to sell it? have to live by the rules.

Not much different than the regulations regarding how often you can have a yard sale.

Too many consecutive weekends with unwanted junk on your lawn, and you might be running an illegal shadow business! :shock:

I don't even think most liberal VOTERS want this kind of crap. It's just the bullshit that comes with voting in the liberal POLITICIANS.

and when you get sick because the food was mishandled... improperly stored... contains rodent feces or hair?

there's a reason for regulation. you want to give a friend a gift, go for it. you want to sell it? have to live by the rules.
Typical ambulance chasing lawyers response.

Ya see big bucks in this case Jillian!! :lol:

This man can'r even make fruitcakes and sell them to friends because he didn't get approval from the government... Is this what you people want?

Intelligence: Elderly Man Barred from Selling Homemade Fruitcakes

Yes.

All us liberals got together just to keep this one old man from selling fruitcakes. We're like that, you know.

Speaking of which...I miss my ex's holiday fruitcake.

Damn that woman could make a fruitcake to die for.

Of course, I think it probably cost us about $100+ to make one (it's all about using the best ingredients, especially the best possible booze), but I certainly do misss that once a year event.

I guess I could whip one up myself, but you know...it just wouldn't be the same.

Fruitcakes are like breakfasts...they just taste better if you didn't have to make them.

I'm a damned fine cook, and I usually did most of the cooking even when I was married, but there's just some things that taste better when someone else makes it for you.

Know what I mean?

morning jillian!

school bake sales?

church bake sales?

charity bake sales?

They all are selling home made cookies, brownies, cakes? would the law be different for them and if safety is the concern, why would it be?

and as with a licensed baker, if the baker's hair or whatever is in the cake...what's the consumer's recourse? Suing the baker? If, it is suing, then if the old man's cake has something bad in it that harmed them, wouldn't they just sue for damages?

To me, this is treating us like little children..... the 10-14 people that buy his cakes KNOW HIM and know what they are buying....the gvt should not stop this....just as they should not stop lemonade from being sold by kids on a corner....those buying it, KNOW the lemonade stand is not licensed? They take their chance anyway, but it could have cyanide in it....

so, what confuses me is what is different with this old man and bake sales and lemonade stands?

care

Then i sue the person who sold me the product, in civil court. I have a legal recourse for self-protection. I also carefully monitor who I buy food products from. This ain't rocket science.

I grew up on a farm, we regularly sold our beef to other neighbors, and bought eggs not in the store, but from a lady down the street. This is tampering with the fabric of rural America.

Last edited:
Then i sue the person who sold me the product, in civil court. I have a legal recourse for self-protection. I also carefully monitor who I buy food products from. This ain't rocket science.

I grew up on a farm, we regularly sold our beef to other neighbors, and bought eggs not in the store, but from a lady down the street. This is tampering with the fabric of rural America.

Of couse it is.

This is another one of those extrmely rare but obvious cases which the righties like to bring to our attention as though this all part of the liberal plot to control every aspect of our lives.

Like you say this isn't rocket science.

How many cakes or cookies have YOU bought at a bake sale?

Did the liberal police come in and bust anyone?

This is some kind of goofy anomalie and I seriously doubt we're getting the whole story, either.

Half stories like these are the specialty of PROPAGANDISTS, you know.

I buy my eggs, fresh from a farmer along with veggies they grow in the summer, who also owns the local antique shop....the other farmer that is duel owner of the antique shop is one as well only she/he has beef, cattle and this other guy that comes in there all the time has pork....They all trade with eachother and as they say, "they watch eachother's back", we have the eggs down and the smoked pork from the other farmer, still haven't arranged the beef, but we plan on it, and we are working our way in to their little "Watch your back, clan".

Please don't tell me the police are going to get involved in our "little arrangements"!

for those of you replying to jillian just give it up and ignore her like i do... you are wasting your time... she won't listen to anyone who has an opposing view...

This is some kind of goofy anomalie and I seriously doubt we're getting the whole story, either.

Half stories like these are the specialty of PROPAGANDISTS, you know.

I wonder how this man's sales came to the attention of the local food nazis. I'm sure there is more to the story.

I wonder how this man's sales came to the attention of the local food nazis. I'm sure there is more to the story.

CLEARLY there's GOT to be more to this story.

But we live in a world where headlines are all that matter.

The more outrageous you can make the headline the better.

morning jillian!

school bake sales?

church bake sales?

charity bake sales?

They all are selling home made cookies, brownies, cakes? would the law be different for them and if safety is the concern, why would it be?

and as with a licensed baker, if the baker's hair or whatever is in the cake...what's the consumer's recourse? Suing the baker? If, it is suing, then if the old man's cake has something bad in it that harmed them, wouldn't they just sue for damages?

To me, this is treating us like little children..... the 10-14 people that buy his cakes KNOW HIM and know what they are buying....the gvt should not stop this....just as they should not stop lemonade from being sold by kids on a corner....those buying it, KNOW the lemonade stand is not licensed? They take their chance anyway, but it could have cyanide in it....

so, what confuses me is what is different with this old man and bake sales and lemonade stands?

care

Alll of those things are already exempt from regulation. That's not what was being talked about here. But you know that. In fact, what we're probably talking about is someone who set up a stand and decided to sell to the public... not his friends, not his neighbors, not his fellow church-goers.

You know I always give you props, but I disagree with you on this one. In a city like NY, you see people selling food on the street all the time. I'm afraid that I prefer knowing that they have to live by certain rules before they can sell food.

And of course finding the assets of a street vendor who's unlicensed would be so very easy... as would finding the person to sue if he weren't licensed.

Good luck with that.

There's a big difference between picking up some fresh eggs from the farm next door and having some person sell food on the street that probably wasn't refrigerated in a week.

See the difference? Perhaps its that I look at these issues from an urban perspective and when I think of someone selling food on the street, I think of something very different than you do when you picture your neighbor's chicken coops.

Forum List

Back