Elderberries

S.J.

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2012
So. Cal.
I think I had them once or twice as a kid but don't remember what they taste like. Does anybody know?

Members of the honeysuckle family, elderberry plants bloom in early to midsummer to provide a harvest from July through September in most parts of the U.S. Because fresh elderberries have a tart taste, they're more often cooked and used in jellies, jams, pies, wines, spirits, flavored waters, flavored vinegars and teas. You can use the fruit dried, fresh or frozen.

Read more : What Do Elderberries Taste Like eHow

I've eaten elderberries in pies, and I remember they've got kind of a tart taste with a slight bitter aftertaste.

Like cranberries in sweetened cranberry sauce.

I think I had them once or twice as a kid but don't remember what they taste like. Does anybody know?

there are many varieties

the only truly non toxic variety is the sambucus nigra

the other varieties can be eaten

but must be cooked first

bushy shrubs occasionally small tree

the berries grow in clusters when ripe black or deep dark blue with purplish stem

you can eat them or make wine out of them

some folk meds are made using them

I've nibbled on a few ripe berries from Sambucus Canadensis, the American Elder, with no ill effect. The various sources I've looked at disagree as to whether the berries are poisonous without cooking. Some say it varies from person to person as to whether uncooked berries will make someone sick. All parts of the plant aside from the berries are very poisonous, so one has to be careful to remove all stems and foliage from the berries. And any unripe berries are poisonous. So take care.

I just canned a bunch Elderberry jam early last month. Good stuff.

We have wild elderberries here in Ohio. They kind of remind me of tart blackberries. My dogs search the ground for berries that have fallen off. They love them. They make wonderful jam. The berries, not the dogs. Buy a jar, and see if you like them.

We have wild elderberries here in Ohio. They kind of remind me of tart blackberries. My dogs search the ground for berries that have fallen off. They love them. They make wonderful jam. The berries, not the dogs. Buy a jar, and see if you like them.
Pretty talented dogs if they can make jam! :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks for all the responses. I've been wanting to try them out because of their super nutritional value but they're not easy to find and I don't want to waste my money if they taste like crap. I think I'll order some soon, thanks.

I've nibbled on a few ripe berries from Sambucus Canadensis, the American Elder, with no ill effect. The various sources I've looked at disagree as to whether the berries are poisonous without cooking. Some say it varies from person to person as to whether uncooked berries will make someone sick. All parts of the plant aside from the berries are very poisonous, so one has to be careful to remove all stems and foliage from the berries. And any unripe berries are poisonous. So take care.

key is ripe

personally i do not care which if any variety of elderberry you decide to nibble on

it is a fact that most varieties contain cyanide bonded to sugar (cyanogenic glycoside) and alkaloids

so am not sure who is arguing otherwise

Pretty talented dogs if they can make jam! :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks for all the responses. I've been wanting to try them out because of their super nutritional value but they're not easy to find and I don't want to waste my money if they taste like crap. I think I'll order some soon, thanks.

you can make some real awesome wine we do every year

There are different types of elderberries, only eat blue or purple ones. And you can get quite a belly ache from raw elderberries as they contain a couple of alkaloids (hydrocyanic acid and sambucine) which can cause nausea and other discomfort in high enough quantities. Don't eat red elderberries.

Different parts of the plant can be used for different things...including the flowers which can be used as a tea, but as with all plant stuff, be careful and be sure of what it is you're eating before you actually imbibe. There are some poisonous things that can be mistaken for elderberry.

My family used to make a little elderberry jam each year, but it was more of a novelty, not a really delicious yummy thing, like the huckleberry jam is. We never made wine, but elderberry wine is supposed to be all sorts of good for you..think of it as a tonic rather than a real fine wine though, lol. I don't think it's meant to be guzzled.

Forum List

Back