Elder Rampage Shootings: Is It "Age Rage?"

Just now the headlines are saying that Jimmy Lee Dyke, age 65, has been killed by the FBI after he started pulling out a gun in his bunker with the child Ethan whom he took as a hostage after killing the school bus driver.

I am concerned with the number of elderly rampage shooters starting to occur -- surely quite a new phenomenon! and I think it may be the baby boom generation gradually getting what used to be called "hardening of the arteries" --- paranoia of age.

Another one was William Spengler, age 62, who was a felon who had killed his grandmother as a young person, but had lived without obvious crime for decades, and then suddenly broke out: killed his sister, set a fire, shot four firefighters, seven houses burned down entirely, and he then killed himself like the young people do.

The man who shot up the Holocaust Museum in Washington was 88! James von Brunn only killed the security guard (who wasn't Jewish) but he meant to kill as many as he could. He was a known anti-semite, but hadn't been in crime trouble before -- he just suddenly broke out, as these paranoids do.

What is going on here? These men get old and get paranoid and angrier and angrier and suddenly decide it's a GOOD idea to go out and shoot a lot of people. When they had not done anything like that before! I think the country needs to take this seriously, and watch out for serious paranoia warning signs in older men ---- who own a lot of guns.

These old guys are nearly as bad as the crazy kids. What do people think should be done about this? If anything --

The majority of mass shootings were by people under the age of forty. They either legally bought a gun or obtained them through folks that did. So, are you afraid of all gun owners, or just old folks? Your concerns are misplaced, kiddo. I am up there in years, and this thread is rather offensive and ill thought out.

Last edited:
[...]

Should guns properly be confiscated from older men who are showing signs of anger and paranoia and have a lot of guns?
I believe you are placing too much emphasis on gun possession, especially in your references to multiple guns, when in fact one's affinity for guns does not in any way indicate or suggest a tendency to homicidal violence.

If an older person, or a younger person, decides to kill a lot of people but doesn't have a lot of guns, all it takes is one gun to accommodate an efficient shooting rampage and an older person can just as easily go out and buy one as can a younger person. All it takes is some money.

I strongly suggest that rather than immediate access to guns the more likely reason why a senior might strike out violently at a group, or randomly, is a combination of festering anger and gradual expiration of the will to live.

The first consideration in seeking a likely prospect for a senior rampage event is one who is alone, i.e., no one to care or to care for. This status combined with rising anger at a given group, or at society in general, can serve as the primary components of festering rage. The means by which the rage may be expressed, i.e., gun(s), is secondary. First comes the urge -- then the means.

I will assume that right now there are individuals who harbor homicidal loathing for such groups as Democrats, Republicans, Blacks, Whites, Muslims, Jews, etc., and some who simply cannot tolerate the direction American society has taken in recent years and are tormented by a festering hatred for people in general. Those who have something to live for will be deterred from acting out their homicidal urges. Those who have no good reason for getting out of bed in the morning will not be so deterred. And all that remains for those who have no guns is to get some, which is easy.

So it seems the cause of the shooting rampage problem is software, not hardware. Our society is producing more and more crazies every year. These crazies are beginning to act out more and more and we are looking in the wrong places for answers as to why. I suggest the answer is America has gone insane. And if we would step back and examine the big picture more closely the cause(s) will become more clear.

We fight against spirits and principalities within the world, that are unknown to us, as they don't just walk up and introduce themselves to us in the flesh, but rather they invade the mind in many ways we can't defend against, and this when we are unaware due to weaknesses or rather us inviting them in to live within our minds. The amour of God is suggested to be worn upon us for this very reason, and it is that we should arm ourselves in the Lord (his word) for our strength in the days to come, as there is no other way in doing this. We see what we are seeing now, because we have forsaken our Lord Christ for a more secular and evil America to arise up out of this forsaking, in which we are seeing more and more of within the world, and we shall see the anti-Christ come unto us in our detriment and turmoil I think, and he will bring peace, but it will be a false hope and a false peace, so where are we at people within this world now ?

Are these very writings not a witness to that which has come or is coming still yet? Think about it all and what is going on, and hasn't there been this huge up-rising in anti-Christian, and in anti-God speak on this internet and in this nation now? Haven't we seen a huge uptake in attacks across this land on everything Christian and God now? Think about it folks... This is just another evidence to me as to what is going down in all of this to date, so I will keep checking in, and I will keep writing my opinions also on these matters.. God Bless all in these coming trials and tribulations in which we or our children shall face in the world as we go further and further into it.

Last edited:
~300,000,000 guns in the US.
~8500 murder involving guns per year.
~0.0028% of our guns are involved in a murder per year.
Everyone knows this.
Are you saying that you are just naturally more murderous than we are?
I'm saying that the number of guns involved in murder in the US compared to the number of guns in the US statistically approaches zero.
Thus, the number of guns in the US has little to no bearing on the number of murders in the US.

You have more guns than any civilized country on earth and more murders than any civilized country on earth, and most of the murders are committed with guns. You don't wan't to admit the obvious, but who does when it conflicts with his prejudices? Nevertheless, any American who supports the right to bear arms is supporting the murder of children. That is FACT.

Well, I suggest you watch me if you are affraid of old people.
I am approaching that age group but then I don't hate anyone or group and I am not a criminal and the only area that I have any fanaticism is protection of our rights - so I am more likely to defend you than go on a rage rampage and kill people.

You can't focus on one aspect of a person and make the connection from that to a crime they commit. Well, you can but it doesn't address the cause of the crime and you place a stigmatism on others who share that one aspect but have little chance of committing the same or similar crimes.

After someone commits a crime it is easier to look at the traits they have exhibited, their hatreds, and fears and piece it all together with a trigger that set them off but it doesn't work the other way because most of us have a moral "shut-down" switch that keeps us from doing the unspeakable. Two people with identical hatreds and fears will respond differently to the the same circumstances based on a whole set of other governing forces within our personalities. People are just too complex to be able to reliably predict the manner in which they will respond in any set of circumstances.

This is a good post, and I appreciate your addressing the issue.

I am worried that there is a trend here that is going along with the baby boom aging out. (Me, too.) Not only are there getting to be more and more people in this age with organic paranoia, but also there is a huge fashion right now for people having giant collections of guns, especially guns designed for shooting other people. And there is a lot of anger in this seriously divided land, and most of the anger is from the right, the gun-owning right.

I'm worried about the combination. Age rage paranoia plus LOTS of guns plus generalized anger. We are starting to see a lot of old guys going on rampages, and you have to admit, that was not expected! That's just weird.

States are very aware that there is a problem with older people driving and we are tested more, repeatedly, for that reason. I am wondering if there is going to be a problem perceived with older men having lots of guns. I know of TWO older men whose families did sort of .....take and sell off their guns. I know one person who quite simply stole her mother's carkeys when her mother kept on driving when she said she wouldn't (she had had three accidents within six weeks --- it was clear she was likely to kill someone).

I wouldn't bring this up if there weren't this strange problem developing with older men in their 60s and up going on sudden shooting rampages, as we have seen lately.

Should guns properly be confiscated from older men who are showing signs of anger and paranoia and have a lot of guns?
Adolph Hitler would say yes to his officers who would be studying this phenomena under his order, in which is that maybe in which you speak of here, and is placed in a way in which you seem to think is growing & growing among Americans who are up in age, and for whom you might think do remember or think still about what they may see as being to swift of a change to America in as far as this government is operating or the culture is heading...

This 'Hitler' stuff is advertising nonsense, as you know. In what ways (other than being more easily able to murder people) are US citizens really 'freer' than the rest of us? They look like brainwashed conformists to me.

I'm saying that the number of guns involved in murder in the US compared to the number of guns in the US statistically approaches zero.
Thus, the number of guns in the US has little to no bearing on the number of murders in the US.
You have more guns than any civilized country on earth and more murders than any civilized country on earth, and most of the murders are committed with guns. You don't wan't to admit the obvious, but who does when it conflicts with his prejudices?
The fact that the number of guns involved in murder in the US compared to the number of guns in the US statistically approaches zero proves that the number of guns in the US has little to no bearing on the number of murders in the US.
It does not matter how much you do not like that fact, a fact it remains.

Nevertheless, any American who supports the right to bear arms is supporting the murder of children. That is FACT.
No... that is thoughtlessnes, knowledgelessness, and prejudicial intolerance.

You have more guns than any civilized country on earth and more murders than any civilized country on earth, and most of the murders are committed with guns. You don't wan't to admit the obvious, but who does when it conflicts with his prejudices? Nevertheless, any American who supports the right to bear arms is supporting the murder of children. That is FACT.
Wow what a bold statement this is by you, where as you hold nothing back as found within your idiocy and thought process given... Kudo's for not being shy or sneaky about it all, like so many others on the left have been, especially in leading up to all of this in which you now claim for gun control, and then demand from us as a result of your idiotic views..

Read it slowly: you kill more people than anyone else because you have more guns than anyone else. That is fact, and if you want that situation to continue you are responsible for every extra death.

Read it slowly: you kill more people than anyone else because you have more guns than anyone else. That is fact, and if you want that situation to continue you are responsible for every extra death.

I must be slacking... I have owned and carried guns for 42 years and I am not responsible for a single murder - or even a shooting. I have never had a gun stolen.

How absurd to say that legal gun owners are responsible for the actions of criminals.

England has banned the possession of all firearms and yet they have a much higher violent crime rate than the US - even with all our guns there is less violent crime in the US than in England.

I must be slacking... I have owned and carried guns for 42 years and I am not responsible for a single murder - or even a shooting. I have never had a gun stolen.

How absurd to say that legal gun owners are responsible for the actions of criminals.

England has banned the possession of all firearms and yet they have a much higher violent crime rate than the US - even with all our guns there is less violent crime in the US than in England.
Exactly..

This is true --- and is a cautionary warning about the danger of unintended consequences.

I think we should get rid of the people-slayer guns and the big magazines designed for massacre, but it would be a mistake to get rid of guns in common use.

But back to the thread topic ---- old men are doing more of the mass murders now than young schizophrenics, it seems! Senility, presumably, since like the young schizos, these are men who are usually NOT on police records, they just suddenly break out and go crazy and shoot lots of people they don't know, or even people they do know but don't really have a motive to kill.

Schools are trying to find ways to deal with the young schizos --- lockdowns, bullet-proof glass, students very willing now to tell adults about threats and weird emails and website, earlier intervention, strong proscription against bullying. They are trying to cope, being imaginative.

I think we need a way to start intervening in situations where an elderly gun collector starts fulminating, muttering furiously about the government and a lot of conspiracy theories and angry paranoid concerns. These are indeed the guys who are suddenly going off and shooting lots of people, and when these guys are no longer able to keep guns safely, yeah, I think the police or social workers should intervene! The guns need to be removed, and if the older person has become demented, he should be placed in a rest home.

I mean, what's the alternative? Just let him run around shooting people at the drugstore? Run onto a school bus blazing away? No! If people have gone crazy they should not own guns.

This is true --- and is a cautionary warning about the danger of unintended consequences.

I think we should get rid of the people-slayer guns and the big magazines designed for massacre...
You want to get rid of something that does not exist?
How will this make anything better?

I think we need a way to start intervening in situations where an elderly gun collector starts fulminating, muttering furiously about the government and a lot of conspiracy theories and angry paranoid concerns.
Then you need to pass a law.
Unfortunately you'll never pass a law that will not be struck on 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 10th amendment grounds.

But back to the thread topic ---- old men are doing more of the mass murders now than young schizophrenics, it seems! Senility, presumably, since like the young schizos, these are men who are usually NOT on police records, they just suddenly break out and go crazy and shoot lots of people they don't know, or even people they do know but don't really have a motive to kill.

Schools are trying to find ways to deal with the young schizos --- lockdowns, bullet-proof glass, students very willing now to tell adults about threats and weird emails and website, earlier intervention, strong proscription against bullying. They are trying to cope, being imaginative.

I think we need a way to start intervening in situations where an elderly gun collector starts fulminating, muttering furiously about the government and a lot of conspiracy theories and angry paranoid concerns. These are indeed the guys who are suddenly going off and shooting lots of people, and when these guys are no longer able to keep guns safely, yeah, I think the police or social workers should intervene! The guns need to be removed, and if the older person has become demented, he should be placed in a rest home.

I mean, what's the alternative? Just let him run around shooting people at the drugstore? Run onto a school bus blazing away? No! If people have gone crazy they should not own guns.

Circe,
How many mass murders by people over the age of ... say 60 ... have there been in the US in the last year? (2? 3?)

Why should guns be removed from the hands of people who have not yet done anything?

When I am no longer able to keep and use my guns safely I will give them to someone I choose - not to the police for disposal.

Forum List

Back