Elder care costs keep climbing; nursing home bill now $91K

NEW YORK (AP) -- The steep cost of caring for the elderly continues to climb. The median bill for a private room in a nursing home is now $91,250 a year, according to an industry survey out Thursday.

The annual "Cost of Care" report from Genworth Financial tracks the staggering rise in expenses for long-term care, a growing financial burden for families, governments and insurers like Genworth. The cost of staying in a nursing home has increased 4 percent every year over the last five years, the report says. Last year, the median bill was $87,600.

"Most people don't realize how expensive this care can be until a parent or family member needs it," said Joe Caldwell, director of long-term services at the National Council on Aging. "And then it's a real shock."

...One year in a nursing home now costs nearly as much as three years of tuition at a private college.
Elder care costs keep climbing nursing home bill now 91K - Yahoo Finance

I wonder how many of these are offering lobster etc. on a daily basis? I wonder how many of these places have well trained and well paid staff?

I wonder who owns these facilities, what income they provide to the ownership and how much is really spent on medical treatments/care? I also wonder about the education and background of those employed on a daily basis.

I would guess there is a range of quality that is pretty broad.

My limited experience is that the background of those who work in these facilities is that more that 50% of them (talking aids and orderlies) are imported from Mexico or the Caribbean.

I wonder who owns these facilities, what income they provide to the ownership and how much is really spent on medical treatments/care? I also wonder about the education and background of those employed on a daily basis.

Quality of care can be found on numerous websites, and anyone looking for a home for a family member should absolutely check out several in person before making such a big decision.

Finding out who owns the facilities isn't always easy. Many involve shell companies and it requires some serious digging to find the source.

Quality of care can be found on numerous websites, and anyone looking for a home for a family member should absolutely check out several in person before making such a big decision.

Finding out who owns the facilities isn't always easy. Many involve shell companies and it requires some serious digging to find the source.

Yep, the smell of human urine is a dead giveaway to runaway.

I've never been in a home that didn't smell "bad" or "old" as my kids would call it.

There are so many dynamics that are negative....not sure why anyone would do that unless they had too.

I had to put someone in a full time care facility for a couple of months. As soon as they were able to come home....we got them home.

I've never been in a home that didn't smell "bad" or "old" as my kids would call it.

There are so many dynamics that are negative....not sure why anyone would do that unless they had too.

I had to put someone in a full time care facility for a couple of months. As soon as they were able to come home....we got them home.

Who's "we"? Did you personally participate in their care?

If your elder is in California it is vitally important that you blow their entire wealth on the first six months or so of nursing home care. Private room for sure.

That's because of the way state law works. When the wealth is gone the state is obliged to continue the standard of care for which you were paying. So if you take the most economical approach so the money will last a little longer then you're condemning your elder to minimal care for the rest of their life. When by blowing through the bucks as fast as possible you can assure them of a Cadillac care plan to the very end.

If you want to read the rules do your own research.

I'm speaking from the advice give me by California's bureaucracy when I had to deal with the situation. The lady lived to age 100 in the best of conditions thanks to that one bit of information.

Fascinating......

If your elder is in California it is vitally important that you blow their entire wealth on the first six months or so of nursing home care. Private room for sure.

That's because of the way state law works. When the wealth is gone the state is obliged to continue the standard of care for which you were paying. So if you take the most economical approach so the money will last a little longer then you're condemning your elder to minimal care for the rest of their life. When by blowing through the bucks as fast as possible you can assure them of a Cadillac care plan to the very end.

I'm speaking from the advice give me by California's bureaucracy when I had to deal with the situation. The lady lived to age 100 in the best of conditions thanks to that one bit of information.

Fascinating......

Not that I have any great respect for the legal profession, but before looking for long term care see an attorney and establish a trust. It's cost may seem to be a lot - since much of the document is boiler plate - but in the long run it will save you time and money. If the need for LTC is a mental disease associated with age, be sure to do so at the first indication of cognitive dysfunction.

Fascinating......

Not that I have any great respect for the legal profession, but before looking for long term care see an attorney and establish a trust. It's cost may seem to be a lot - since much of the document is boiler plate - but in the long run it will save you time and money. If the need for LTC is a mental disease associated with age, be sure to do so at the first indication of cognitive dysfunction.

Agreed.

You won't hear any conversations about this during the campaign.

It's to sticky.

We need to worry about e-mails and calling women fat. That's much more important.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The steep cost of caring for the elderly continues to climb. The median bill for a private room in a nursing home is now $91,250 a year, according to an industry survey out Thursday.

The annual "Cost of Care" report from Genworth Financial tracks the staggering rise in expenses for long-term care, a growing financial burden for families, governments and insurers like Genworth. The cost of staying in a nursing home has increased 4 percent every year over the last five years, the report says. Last year, the median bill was $87,600.

"Most people don't realize how expensive this care can be until a parent or family member needs it," said Joe Caldwell, director of long-term services at the National Council on Aging. "And then it's a real shock."

...One year in a nursing home now costs nearly as much as three years of tuition at a private college.

I wonder how many of these are offering lobster etc. on a daily basis? I wonder how many of these places have well trained and well paid staff?

All very good questions.

I wonder about the model itself.

I know people who run these homes who indicate that most of their residents could be cared for at home by family....if......

Investigators warn of Medicaid fraud and home care abuse

This is an ongoing problem. Whether you like it or not, many of these people cannot and often should not be cared for by family. What we see repeatedly are people invested in this area that want all of the cash and none of the liability. That is what it is about and it is exactly like how the push has been for keeping the mentally ill at home.

Last edited:
There is no round the clock care for those that are forced into using a home health aide but if they did it would be around about $500 a day.Plus the homemaker service.

Some average costs for long-term care in the United States (in 2010) were:

• $205 per day or $6,235 per month for a semi-private room in a nursing home
  • $229 per day or $6,965 per month for a private room in a nursing home
  • $3,293 per month for care in an assisted living facility (for a one-bedroom unit)
  • $21 per hour for a home health aide
  • $19 per hour for homemaker services
  • $67 per day for services in an adult day health care center
The cost of long-term care depends on the type and duration of care you need, the provider you use, and where you live. Costs can be affected by certain factors, such as:

• Time of day. Home health and home care services, provided in two-to-four-hour blocks of time referred to as “visits,” are generally more expensive in the evening, on weekends, and on holidays
  • Extra charges for services provided beyond the basic room, food and housekeeping charges at facilities, although some may have “all inclusive” fees.
  • Variable rates in some community programs, such as adult day service, are provided at a per-day rate, but can be more based on extra events and activities
    Costs of Care - Long-Term Care Information

Elder care is a critical situation no matter how you look at it. I've been doing in-home healthcare services for a good while now and it would be my first choice for myself. I've had two nursing home "private care for one patient" situations. I got a real close look at nursing home care. In the first case, the woman absolutely refused to be a burden on either of her children in spite of their begging her for years to reconsider. She would have been cared for so beautifully because the whole concept of their upbringing revolved around family and love. I took care of her in her home prior to her being in the nursing home and knew the family well.

The nursing homes are sorely understaffed, overworked, and underpaid; institutional food leaves a lot to be desired. The place smelled, some of the patients were just "dumped" there, others had family members come in on a daily basis. The state minimum at the time was a minimum of 22 patients per one CNA. NO WAY could one CNA give the necessary attention to 22 patients in an 8 hour shift.

My second nursing home private care situation was different in some ways - it was clean, no stink at all, food was edible and patients could choose from two menus at each meal; rooms were spacious and clean; still understaffed but the attitude of staff was one of cooperation and what needed to be done got done. I only stayed on that assignment for a month due to my own health concerns ... like not wanting or needing to be driving at night due to cataracts AND 6 days a week split on two assignments was taking it's toll on me.

Of the multiple in-home assignments I've had ... I've seen both sides of family structure. I've seen children who were not particularly concerned or involved and I have seen children who were involved, fully informed of their parent's condition, and spared no expense. The pay is not good ... but in-home caregivers can get so attached to the person they care for and so emotionally involved and when that person finally dies ... burnout happens.

I'll be 73 years old in a couple months and have a clean bill of health from my doctors, good lab results, good everything ... but in the next several months I'm going to have to give serious consideration to myself and my own care. My energy levels are down but I'm still going to give my little elders 100%; my kids want me to keep me around awhile and want me to consider giving up the hard work and moving in with one of them. And that's the operative thing ... the concept of structuring your life around family and love.

Alternatively, hospitals are discovering that often very serious medical conditions that affect the elderly can be treated via outpatient care, saving a great deal of money. Add that to wellness programs that encourage older people to exercise, eat properly, get regular screenings to prevent long-term illness, and it's a win-win.

Alternatively, hospitals are discovering that often very serious medical conditions that affect the elderly can be treated via outpatient care, saving a great deal of money. Add that to wellness programs that encourage older people to exercise, eat properly, get regular screenings to prevent long-term illness, and it's a win-win.

That's a part of overall things everybody should do. But those things are still not going to stop the advance of things like dementia and Alzheimer's, slip and fall injuries that lead to a need for help either in rehab or possibly in-home after rehab. Every situation is different when it comes to making those long time care decisions. And it takes dedicated people to fulfill those requirements.

That's a part of overall things everybody should do. But those things are still not going to stop the advance of things like dementia and Alzheimer's, slip and fall injuries that lead to a need for help either in rehab or possibly in-home after rehab. Every situation is different when it comes to making those long time care decisions. And it takes dedicated people to fulfill those requirements.

Well, with our "liberated" society with so many women getting divorced, going to the poor house, and working two jobs to stay afloat....who's going to watch mommy and daddy ?

We are so freaking clever.

Marriage is an economic efficiency and this is one place it will show up.

Well, with our "liberated" society with so many women getting divorced, going to the poor house, and working two jobs to stay afloat....who's going to watch mommy and daddy ?

We are so freaking clever.

Marriage is an economic efficiency and this is one place it will show up.

Is that a bid to return to the medieval system of arranged marriages? If they're only "economic efficiencies," why not? Let's make the U.S. a Third World nation!

Or let's stop taking the advice of people who aren't married, take no responsibility for anyone but themselves (and whine about that), and lecture everyone else on how to care for someone with dementia. :rolleyes:

All very good questions.

I know people who run these homes who indicate that most of their residents could be cared for at home by family....if......

Investigators warn of Medicaid fraud and home care abuse

This is an ongoing problem. Whether you like it or not, many of these people cannot and often should not be cared for by family. What we see repeatedly are people invested in this area that want all of the cash and none of the liability. That is what it is about and it is exactly like how the push has been for keeping the mentally ill at home.

I don't think the term "many" covers it.

However, you seem to have changed POV's in mid stream.

1. There are plenty of things that can be done at home for Granny and Grandpa. I've seen it time and time again.

2. Look at my last statement.....this an assesment by administrators who run the homes.

3. It is never a one size fit's all. However, the home isn't the only solution......

All very good questions.

My mom went into a private for care home for disabled seniors, the first night her wedding ring was stolen.

All very good questions.

My mom went into a private for care home for disabled seniors, the first night her wedding ring was stolen.

I am sorry to hear that.

Forum List

Back