Eisenhower Republican?

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
On its Centennial, the Republican Party again calls to the minds of all Americans the great truth first spoken by Abraham Lincoln: "The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."

Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."

While jealously guarding the free institutions and preserving the principles upon which our Republic was founded and has flourished, the purpose of the Republican Party is to establish and maintain a peaceful world and build at home a dynamic prosperity in which every citizen fairly shares.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

I often wonder sometmes in today's world if this still holds true, the principles of an Eisenhower Republican seem to me somewhat lost today. While I might be wrong in that assesment it does seem we as a nation have forgotten that the principles stated in 1956 are showwhat drowned out.

Because the strength of our nation is in its people, their good health is a proper national concern; healthy Americans live more rewarding, more productive and happier lives. Fortunately, the nation continues its advance in bettering the health of all its people
Dwight D. Eisenhower: Special Message to the Congress Recommending a Health Program.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. […] Is there no other way the world may live? Dwight Eisenhower 4/1953

On its Centennial, the Republican Party again calls to the minds of all Americans the great truth first spoken by Abraham Lincoln: "The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."

Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."

While jealously guarding the free institutions and preserving the principles upon which our Republic was founded and has flourished, the purpose of the Republican Party is to establish and maintain a peaceful world and build at home a dynamic prosperity in which every citizen fairly shares.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

I often wonder sometmes in today's world if this still holds true, the principles of an Eisenhower Republican seem to me somewhat lost today.
A significant number, of them, have whored themselves to Wall $treet.

The rest seem to have given-up.....after being hu$tled by....

"I didn't leave my party. My party left me" Georgia Democratic Senator Zell Miller, Summer, 2004 RNC.

Senator Miller was remarking on the changes his party, my father's party, my former party, the party of JFK, FDR, and HST, had undergone since it was usurped and seized by Communist and other Leftist factions in the summer of 1968.

The business of the Federal Government is to adjudicate disputes between the member states, provide for the common defense and to see to it that all of its citizens have equal right to succeed.

Sending a half billion taxpayer dollars to Finland for the purpose of building two automobiles equipped with Chinese engines doesn't seem to fit that concept.

America Society has always been robust enough to succesfully overcome little bumps and dips on the road to equality like "Help Wanted! Irish Need Not Apply!" Its only of recent when we somehow became convinced that the road to success could only be achieved by making some groups of Americans more equal than others.

Ike was an independant who warned against the military.corporate complex...
He was (undoubtedly) a man o'....

.....his times.

"Throughout his presidency, Eisenhower preached a doctrine of dynamic conservatism. He continued all the major New Deal programs still in operation, especially Social Security. He expanded its programs and rolled them into a new cabinet-level agency, the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, while extending benefits to an additional ten million workers. His cabinet, consisting of several corporate executives and one labor leader, was dubbed by one journalist, "Eight millionaires and a plumber.

Eisenhower held out an olive branch to the Soviet Union after Joseph Stalin's death in March 1953, but the Cold War escalated during his presidency. His foreign policy was marked by "the brave new world of CIA-led coups and assassinations. It was Eisenhower whose CIA deposed the leaders of Iran, Guatemala, and possibly the Belgian Congo. The Eisenhower administration also planned the Bay of Pigs Invasion to overthrow Fidel Castro in Cuba, which John F. Kennedy was left to carry out."​

From that 1956 GOP Platform:

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

From today's GOP...

"We're going to crush labor as a political entity"
Grover Norquist - Republican economic guru and co-author of the GOP's 'Contract with America'

"I didn't leave my party. My party left me" Georgia Democratic Senator Zell Miller, Summer, 2004 RNC.

The change in the Democratic Party that caused many Southern Democrats to leave it, and which occurred as stated in the 1960s, is simply that it stopped pandering to racists. Southern white racists had found a home in the party since its inception, but after the '60s, no more. Any other reasons advanced are simply bogus.

If we are ever to solve our mounting traffic problem, the whole interstate system must be authorized as one project, to be completed approximately within the specified time. Only in this way can industry efficiently gear itself to the job ahead. Only in this way can the required planning and engineering be accomplished without the confusion and waste unavoidable in a piecemeal approach. Furthermore, as I pointed out last year, the pressing nature of this problem must not lead us to solutions outside the bounds of sound fiscal management. As in the case of other pressing problems, there must be an adequate plan of financing. To continue the drastically needed improvement in other national highway systems, I recommend the continuation of the Federal Aid Highway Program
Dwight Eisenhower, "State of the Union, 1956"

You know that he also wanted a balanced budget. I suppose that this sort of President is long gone in our past. From reading some of the postings, I am reminded how much both parties have changed over the years and am quite sure that Eisenhower and JFK would not recognize their respective parties today.

Re the Republican Party, it's obvious to anyone who studies the party's history that it has completely departed from its original raison d'être.

The GOP was founded as an anti-slavery party, and after emancipation remained the party of civil rights and racial equality, until the 1960s when it began to change in order to pick up those southern white racist voters that the Democrats had abandoned. The Republicans are no longer the party of civil rights and racial equality. That is a complete abandonment of the party's core principles.

The GOP has always been a pro-business party as well, but over most of its history there was room in it for economic liberalism. The first modern liberal/economic progressive to rise to a prominent position in politics was surely Theodore Roosevelt, who won the Vice Presidency in 1900 (and became president when William McKinley was assassinated the following year), and was elected president, also as a Republican, in 1904. Herbert Hoover was also an economic liberal, even though he was successfully demonized by Democrats as the opposite. Dwight Eisenhower, as noted, governed as an economic moderate to liberal. Richard Nixon, for all his rhetoric, governed as a strong progressive.

But there is no room in the party for economic liberalism now, it seems, and so on this as well the GOP has ceased to be the party it once was.

I often wonder sometmes in today's world if this still holds true, the principles of an Eisenhower Republican seem to me somewhat lost today. While I might be wrong in that assesment it does seem we as a nation have forgotten that the principles stated in 1956 are showwhat drowned out.

No, your assessment is quite accurate.

In essence what we see today with republicans and conservatives, as opposed to 1956, is a loss of a commitment to responsible governance.

A once honorable and prudent political philosophy – conservatism - and a once honorable and responsible political party – the GOP – were lost at the advent of the rise of the social right, the Culture Wars, and the partisan hacks who subsequently compromised and polluted both, much to the detriment of our Nation.

Senator Miller was remarking on the changes his party, my father's party, my former party, the party of JFK, FDR, and HST, had undergone since it was usurped and seized by Communist and other Leftist factions in the summer of 1968.

The business of the Federal Government is to adjudicate disputes between the member states, provide for the common defense and to see to it that all of its citizens have equal right to succeed.

Sending a half billion taxpayer dollars to Finland for the purpose of building two automobiles equipped with Chinese engines doesn't seem to fit that concept.

America Society has always been robust enough to succesfully overcome little bumps and dips on the road to equality like "Help Wanted! Irish Need Not Apply!" Its only of recent when we somehow became convinced that the road to success could only be achieved by making some groups of Americans more equal than others.

A. Zell is a RW wingnut- Buh-bye!!
B. Chinese engine my butt. Real patriotic support for our industry of the future...As my father would say, Pubs are real 4 letter men...

Wiki-a requirement of the government loan is that some of the money be spent building or renovating a manufacturing facility in the US, in order to ensure manufacturing jobs are not shipped overseas. Fisker fulfilled its obligation by purchasing GM's former Wilmington Assembly plant in Delaware for $20 million, and plans to start production of its next generation Electric Vehicles with extended range there in late 2012. The company expects to create more than 2,000 jobs there. Building a new plant would have cost well over $1B.

[edit] Cost savings
Fisker saves a tremendous amount of development costs by using pre-engineered components developed by other car companies whenever possible, as long as it does not compromise the integrity of its vehicles or the customer experience. For example, the door handle mechanism is actually a General Motors part , Fisker Automotive just pays a fee to GM for each door handle in the Karma, which its much cheaper than designing its own door handles.[6]

[edit] Fisker Karma components [6]
The 22 kW·h lithium ion rechargeable battery in each car will come from A123 Systems in Watertown, Mass.

The aluminum frame was engineered by Fisker and is supplied by Norsk Hydro from Norway.

The cabin interior is designed by Fisker Auto but made in USA by Magna International of Canada.

The EVer powertrain system, technically a series hybrid, delivers over 400 hp, was inspired by Quantum Technologies (which is also a founder of & early investor in Fisker).

[edit] Profitability
Due to its outsourcing model, the company claims that it can make a profit from selling just 15,000 cars.[1]

[edit] Manufacturing
On October 27, 2009, Fisker officials announced that the company has signed a letter of intent to take control of the Boxwood Road Plant (previously owned and operated by General Motors) in Wilmington, Delaware. In addition to a purchase price of $20 million, Fisker plans to spend $175 million renovating the plant. Vice President Joe Biden attended the announcement.

The company plans to build between 75,000 and 100,000 Project NINA vehicles (a mass-market plug-in hybrid sedan) by 2014.[7] The factory hopes to create 2000 jobs directly and 1000 more indirectly. Over half of the vehicles are to be exported, the highest percentage of any American company.[8]

Last edited:
Re the Republican Party, it's obvious to anyone who studies the party's history that it has completely departed from its original raison d'être.

The GOP was founded as an anti-slavery party, and after emancipation remained the party of civil rights and racial equality, until the 1960s when it began to change in order to pick up those southern white racist voters that the Democrats had abandoned. The Republicans are no longer the party of civil rights and racial equality. That is a complete abandonment of the party's core principles.

The GOP has always been a pro-business party as well, but over most of its history there was room in it for economic liberalism. The first modern liberal/economic progressive to rise to a prominent position in politics was surely Theodore Roosevelt, who won the Vice Presidency in 1900 (and became president when William McKinley was assassinated the following year), and was elected president, also as a Republican, in 1904. Herbert Hoover was also an economic liberal, even though he was successfully demonized by Democrats as the opposite. Dwight Eisenhower, as noted, governed as an economic moderate to liberal. Richard Nixon, for all his rhetoric, governed as a strong progressive.

But there is no room in the party for economic liberalism now, it seems, and so on this as well the GOP has ceased to be the party it once was.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater

The most outspoken Republicans are the Goldwater conservatives like Victor Gold and John Dean.

Victor Gold, former speechwriter for George Herbert Walker Bush is a Goldwater conservative...his book explains how the GOP was hijacked away from conservatives by far right theocrats and far left neocons...starting in 1980...

Book Review:

9781402208416-m.gif

Invasion of the Party Snatchers

By Victor Gold

After four decades as a Republican insider, Victor Gold reveals how the holy-rollers and the Neo-Cons have destroyed the GOP. Now he's fighting to get his party back.

As a man who served as press aide to Barry Goldwater and speechwriter and senior advisor to George H. W. Bush (in addition to co-authoring his autobiography), Victor Gold is absolutely furious that the Neo-Cons and their strange bedfellows, the Evangelical Right, have stolen his party from him. Now he is bringing the fight to them.

Invasion of the Party Snatchers is a blistering critique not only of the Bush-Cheney administration but also of the Republican Congress. Gold is ready to tell all about the war being waged for the soul of the GOP, including the elder Bush's opinion of his sons work domestically and abroad, the significance of the newly elected Congress, and how Goldwater would have reacted to it all. Gold reveals, among other explosive disclosures, how George W. has been manipulated by his vice president and secretary of defense to become, in Lenin's famous phrase, a "useful idiot" for Neo-Conservative warmongers and Theo-Conservative religious fanatics.

Although there have been other books by dissident Republicans attacking the Bush-Cheney administrations betrayal of conservative principles, none have been by an insider whose political credentials include inner-circle status with Barry Goldwater and George H. W. Bush.

Review:
"Make no mistake: author Gold, a former speechwriter for George H.W. Bush and aide to Barry Goldwater, is one disgusted Republican. The GOP of the 2006 midterm election, he writes, is 'a party of pork-barrel ear-markers like Dennis Hastert, of political hatchet men like Karl Rove, and of Bible-thumping hypocrites like Tom Delay.' Gold looks to Goldwater, 'a straight-talking, freethinking maverick,' as the yardstick by which to measure just how far the party of Lincoln has fallen.

He traces the beginning of the end to the 1980 Republican National Convention and the presence of 'a militant new element...personified by Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.' The other half of the equation, the neoconservatives, are embodied by Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, 'two cuts from the same Machiavellian cloth.' In efficient prose, Gold scrutinizes a significant swath of recent GOP history, in particular Newt Gingrich's 104th Congress and the Bush II White House, without losing momentum.

He also has choice words for 'the Coulterization of Republican rhetoric,' the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, and 'sideshow' legislation like the Flag Protection Amendment. Gold sees a promising future for the Republican Party, but not until they lose some major elections and are able to keep down a slice of humble pie; for those disillusioned with the state of the GOP, this quick, uncompromising polemic provides substantial support, along with a large dose of cold comfort." Publishers Weekly (Starred Review) (Copyright Reed Business Information, Inc.)

Synopsis:
The last real Goldwater conservative in America attacks the current state of his movement and his party.
Powell's Books - Invasion of the Party Snatchers: How the Holy-Rollers and Neo-Cons Destroyed the GOP by Victor Gold

profile_pic2.jpg

Victor Gold grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana, where he attended the public schools, and Tulane University. After working as a reporter-correspondent for the BIRMINGHAM (Alabama) NEWS, he earned his law degree (J.D.) from the University of Alabama. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, 1950-52.

In 1958 he moved to Washington, D.C., and joined the public relations firm of Selvage & Lee. Six years later he became Deputy Press Secretary to Senator Barry Goldwater during the 1964 presidential campaign.

In 1965 Gold opened his own political public relations firm in Washington, listing among his clients then-Republican House leader Gerald Ford and Senator Bob Dole. At the Republican conventions of 1968 and 1976 he worked with press secretary Lyn Nofziger on behalf of the presidential candidacy of then-California Governor Ronald Reagan. During the Nixon administration he served as press secretary to Vice President Spiro T. Agnew until January, 1973.

In 1980 Gold joined the staff of Republican presidential candidate George H. W. Bush as a speechwriter and senior advisor, a position he held during the Reagan-Bush campaigns of '80 and '84. He served on the Bush vice-presidential staff in 1981, and as a Bush advisor in the campaigns of 1988 and 1992. In 1992 he received the Distinguished Achievement Award for Political Communication from his alma mater, the University of Alabama.

In 1989 Gold served as a member of President Bush's election-oversight delegation to the first free Romanian elections.

A frequent speaker on the national political and campus circuits, Gold has also appeared on numerous network television shows. His articles, covering politics and sports, have appeared in NEWSWEEK, HARPER'S, ATLANTIC MONTHLY, PLAYBOY, CONNOISSEUR, READERS' DIGEST, NATIONAL REVIEW, THE WEEKLY STANDARD, NEW REPUBLIC, THE NEW YORK TIMES, THE LOS ANGELES TIMES, and THE WASHINGTON POST.

The first problem with your post is that the above isn't true.

Lincoln was a dictator and a tyrant. I would hardly hold him up as an authority on good government.

If we are ever to solve our mounting traffic problem, the whole interstate system must be authorized as one project, to be completed approximately within the specified time. Only in this way can industry efficiently gear itself to the job ahead. Only in this way can the required planning and engineering be accomplished without the confusion and waste unavoidable in a piecemeal approach. Furthermore, as I pointed out last year, the pressing nature of this problem must not lead us to solutions outside the bounds of sound fiscal management. As in the case of other pressing problems, there must be an adequate plan of financing. To continue the drastically needed improvement in other national highway systems, I recommend the continuation of the Federal Aid Highway Program

You know that he also wanted a balanced budget. I suppose that this sort of President is long gone in our past. From reading some of the postings, I am reminded how much both parties have changed over the years and am quite sure that Eisenhower and JFK would not recognize their respective parties today.

I think you are wrong. Certainly the Republican Party has gone completely over the edge. Corporations are people, let him die and applauding executions. When you point out these monstrous positions, the current Republican party says you must be a socialist or communist. This Republican party is 90% white.

Democrats are everyone else. Since the Democratic Party is fighting for 100% of the American people and the Republican Party is fighting for the wealthy 1% and corporations, many Americans make the mistake that because they are fighting, they must be equally to blame and therefore "the same". I believe JFK would be proud of the Democrats and Eisenhower would be a Democrat, just like his grand daughter and grand son.

The first problem with your post is that the above isn't true.

Lincoln was a dictator and a tyrant. I would hardly hold him up as an authority on good government.

“The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done, but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves, in their separate and individual capacities. In all that the people can individually do as well for themselves, government ought not to interfere. The desirable things, which the individuals of a people cannot do, or cannot well do, for themselves, fall into two classes: those which have relation to wrongs, and those which have not. Each of these branches off into an infinite variety of subdivisions.
“The first - that in relation to wrongs - embraces all crimes, misdemeanors, and non-performance of contracts. The other embraces all which, in its nature, and without wrong, requires combined action, as public roads and highways, public schools, charities, pauperism, orphanage, estates of the deceased, and the machinery of government itself.”

Abraham Lincoln; The Nature and Objects of Government, with Special Reference to Slavery. Fragmentary Notes. About July 1, 1854
Fair-Share Notes

The Republican Party was established at Ripon, Wisconsin in 1854 by a group of former members of the Whig Party, the Free-Soil Party and the Democratic Party. Its original founders were opposed to slavery and called for the repeal of the Kansas-Nebraska and the Fugitive Slave Law. Early members thought it was important to place the national interest above sectional interest and the rights of individual States.

John C. Fremont was seen as too radical by the electorate and in 1860 the party decided to select the more moderate, Abraham Lincoln, as candidate. Lincoln won the election by 1,866,462 votes (18 free states). His opponents were Stephen A. Douglas (1,375,157 - 1 slave state), John Beckenridge (847,953 - 13 slave states) and John Bell (589,581 - 3 slave states).
The Republican Party

True in what respect? in that Lincoln never a Republican? it's pretty clear that he was, and as the words he said are a matter of historical record those are true as well. While Lincoln would hardly be considered a Republican by today's standards, for that matter nor would Eisenhower, the same can be said for many on both sides of the isle.

The change in the Democratic Party that caused many Southern Democrats to leave it, and which occurred as stated in the 1960s, is simply that it stopped pandering to racists. Southern white racists had found a home in the party since its inception, but after the '60s, no more. Any other reasons advanced are simply bogus.

That's true of white racists. The Democrats have a problem with racists... but not many of them are white. But racism is racism is racism. Whatever color their skin. So, you are wrong. They still pander to racists. In fact, it is their lifeblood.

I think you are wrong. Certainly the Republican Party has gone completely over the edge. Corporations are people, let him die and applauding executions. When you point out these monstrous positions, the current Republican party says you must be a socialist or communist. This Republican party is 90% white.

Democrats are everyone else. Since the Democratic Party is fighting for 100% of the American people and the Republican Party is fighting for the wealthy 1% and corporations, many Americans make the mistake that because they are fighting, they must be equally to blame and therefore "the same". I believe JFK would be proud of the Democrats and Eisenhower would be a Democrat, just like his grand daughter and grand son.

My point here was simply to bring to light that from a historical standpoint , things such as corporations being considered as "persons" run contrary to this nations founding and original Republican principles. Further, am sure JFK would not be too pleased with the current state of things in this nation and of his party as well, which seems to be just as disconnected from the American people as the other side is. We used to believe in "big" things, in this nation, Kennedy , Eisenhower and so forth, from Apollo, to the Interstate Highway system, and we used to ask ourselves, how do get it done, rather than , theres no way we can do that!

That's true of white racists. The Democrats have a problem with racists... but not many of them are white. But racism is racism is racism. Whatever color their skin. So, you are wrong. They still pander to racists. In fact, it is their lifeblood.

On a side note, your Avatar Artist is pretty amazing in my opinion. LOL You think she might take pity on me and make me one if I asked nice ?

Forum List

Back