Eisenhower Republican?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Navy1960, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    On its Centennial, the Republican Party again calls to the minds of all Americans the great truth first spoken by Abraham Lincoln: "The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities. But in all that people can individually do as well for themselves, Government ought not to interfere."

Our great President Dwight D. Eisenhower has counseled us further: "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."

While jealously guarding the free institutions and preserving the principles upon which our Republic was founded and has flourished, the purpose of the Republican Party is to establish and maintain a peaceful world and build at home a dynamic prosperity in which every citizen fairly shares.

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1956

I often wonder sometmes in today's world if this still holds true, the principles of an Eisenhower Republican seem to me somewhat lost today. While I might be wrong in that assesment it does seem we as a nation have forgotten that the principles stated in 1956 are showwhat drowned out.

Because the strength of our nation is in its people, their good health is a proper national concern; healthy Americans live more rewarding, more productive and happier lives. Fortunately, the nation continues its advance in bettering the health of all its people
    Dwight D. Eisenhower: Special Message to the Congress Recommending a Health Program.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. […] Is there no other way the world may live? Dwight Eisenhower 4/1953

2. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    I like Ike.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Me too Amelia

4. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    A significant number, of them, have whored themselves to Wall $treet.

The rest seem to have given-up.....after being hu$tled by....

5. bitterlyclingin

bitterlyclingin Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449
    "I didn't leave my party. My party left me" Georgia Democratic Senator Zell Miller, Summer, 2004 RNC.

Senator Miller was remarking on the changes his party, my father's party, my former party, the party of JFK, FDR, and HST, had undergone since it was usurped and seized by Communist and other Leftist factions in the summer of 1968.

The business of the Federal Government is to adjudicate disputes between the member states, provide for the common defense and to see to it that all of its citizens have equal right to succeed.

Sending a half billion taxpayer dollars to Finland for the purpose of building two automobiles equipped with Chinese engines doesn't seem to fit that concept.

America Society has always been robust enough to succesfully overcome little bumps and dips on the road to equality like "Help Wanted! Irish Need Not Apply!" Its only of recent when we somehow became convinced that the road to success could only be achieved by making some groups of Americans more equal than others.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. francoHFW

francoHFW Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,638
    Ike was an independant who warned against the military.corporate complex...

7. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    He was (undoubtedly) a man o'....

8. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    From that 1956 GOP Platform:

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
    President Dwight D. Eisenhower

From today's GOP...

"We're going to crush labor as a political entity"
    Grover Norquist - Republican economic guru and co-author of the GOP's 'Contract with America'

9. Dragon

Dragon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +579
    The change in the Democratic Party that caused many Southern Democrats to leave it, and which occurred as stated in the 1960s, is simply that it stopped pandering to racists. Southern white racists had found a home in the party since its inception, but after the '60s, no more. Any other reasons advanced are simply bogus.

10. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    If we are ever to solve our mounting traffic problem, the whole interstate system must be authorized as one project, to be completed approximately within the specified time. Only in this way can industry efficiently gear itself to the job ahead. Only in this way can the required planning and engineering be accomplished without the confusion and waste unavoidable in a piecemeal approach. Furthermore, as I pointed out last year, the pressing nature of this problem must not lead us to solutions outside the bounds of sound fiscal management. As in the case of other pressing problems, there must be an adequate plan of financing. To continue the drastically needed improvement in other national highway systems, I recommend the continuation of the Federal Aid Highway Program
    Dwight Eisenhower, "State of the Union, 1956"

You know that he also wanted a balanced budget. I suppose that this sort of President is long gone in our past. From reading some of the postings, I am reminded how much both parties have changed over the years and am quite sure that Eisenhower and JFK would not recognize their respective parties today.