Eight Ways to Run The Country (Mitchell)

Neser Boha

upgrade your gray matter
Mar 4, 2009
Nordic Bayou
Mitchell, Brian P. 2007. Eight Ways To Run the Country: A New And Revealing Look At Left And Right. Connecticut: Praeger Publishers.

Everyone interested in politics and political debate - especially in the US context should read this book.

It might not be perfect, but it explains the American political landscape better than anything I've ever read before. What's always driven me mad was the idiotic and systematic separation of issues and people into 'liberal(s) vs. conservative(s)'. It has never made sense to me and seemed more harmful than anything else - especially to debate and problem-solving.

This books helps you understand that people are not simply either liberals or conservatives - that there are many more outlooks out there - many more shades of gray - among general population as well as our politicians.

The book also gives you and insight into where you yourself stand on the vast political spectrum - you might find some surprising truths about yourself as well as your favorite/most despised politicians.

It is more than a worthy read and it would benefit every single person on this board.

PS: I read this book for my senior seminar.

Last edited:
Here's the table of contents to capture your interest and catch your eye...

Chapter 1. Schizocracy in America
Chapter 2. Beyond Left and Right
Chapter 3. For Common Things: The Communitarian
Chapter 4. Change Is Good: The Progressive
Chapter 5. Question Authority: The Radical
Chapter 6. Framework for Utopia: The Individualist
Chapter 7. Breaking the Clock: The Paleolibertarian
Chapter 8. For the Permanent Things: The Paleoconservative
Chapter 9. God and Country: The Theoconservative
Chapter 10. Mugged by Reality: The Neoconservative
Chapter 11. Post-Modern Populism

So...

Do I have to wait for the movie?

Are you going to tell us if the patient lives or dies?

You should know by now that Americans don't read anything that doesn't support our preconceived notion of the political persuasion of the writer, as announced by our favorite talk show host when said writer plugs his book on their show.

(And even then, we usually wait for the Cliff Notes)

-Joe

The simplistic notion that the USA is divided into liberal v conservatives, while it appeals to the not so bright posters in places like this, isn't borne out when one starts talking to most people.

Most of us understand that the conservatives make good points and so do the liberals.

Most of us also understand that no party really represents us anymore, too.

The American people are not as stupid as coming to places like this would indicate.

Praise Allah for that, eh?

Unfortunately, every time I see the thread title, I read it as "8 Ways To Ruin the Country". :eusa_whistle:

Here's the table of contents to capture your interest and catch your eye...

Chapter 1. Schizocracy in America
Chapter 2. Beyond Left and Right
Chapter 3. For Common Things: The Communitarian
Chapter 4. Change Is Good: The Progressive
Chapter 5. Question Authority: The Radical
Chapter 6. Framework for Utopia: The Individualist
Chapter 7. Breaking the Clock: The Paleolibertarian
Chapter 8. For the Permanent Things: The Paleoconservative
Chapter 9. God and Country: The Theoconservative
Chapter 10. Mugged by Reality: The Neoconservative
Chapter 11. Post-Modern Populism

8 ways to run the country has 11 chapters. Well alrighty then.

The simplistic notion that the USA is divided into liberal v conservatives, while it appeals to the not so bright posters in places like this, isn't borne out when one starts talking to most people.

Most of us understand that the conservatives make good points and so do the liberals.

The American people are not as stupid as coming to places like this would indicate.

What do you think about the book?

So...

You should know by now that Americans don't read anything that doesn't support our preconceived notion of the political persuasion of the writer, as announced by our favorite talk show host when said writer plugs his book on their show.

-Joe

I'm sure there are some summaries on the interwebz... However... the book really isn't long at all, utilizes simple language, and is interesting enough - I went through it in about a week while taking notes.

I haven't read it, but I will, after I finish the one I'm reading now, and the one I've got in the queue.

My next book is a brief respite from modern poli-sci called:

Justinian's Flea
The first Great Plague and the End of the Roman Empire

Reading about empires long past isn't quite so depressing as reading about our empire falling, which is what most of the books I read about our times seem to be telling me.​

The tragedies of history are a LOT more interesting when it's not future history that my son is going to have to live through to be honest.​

Unfortunately, every time I see the thread title, I read it as "8 Ways To Ruin the Country". :eusa_whistle:

So, you've read the book and/or discussed it already?

Don't get your panties in a twist.. I neither read, nor discussed it, nor do I have any intention of doing such, since I don't judge people based on anything but their own words and actions, much less waste time with the lib/cons tags.

I simply stated what my eyes see every time I read the title of the thread, and it amused me.

I haven't read it, but I will, after I finish the one I'm reading now, and the one I've got in the queue.

My next book is a brief respite from modern poli-sci called:

Justinian's Flea
The first Great Plague and the End of the Roman Empire

Reading about empires long past isn't quite so depressing as reading about our empire falling, which is what most of the books I read about our times seem to be telling me.​

The tragedies of history are a LOT more interesting when it's not future history that my son is going to have to live through to be honest.​

I understand that. Even though I'm not by any stretch of imagination a patriot, I still can't stand reading even the Czech news because it infuriates and/or depresses me so much that it's probably not good for my health... It's something about the country you grew up in and the people you are 'of' that makes you take all its/their failures almost personally... I can't stand that either. I'm actually looking for a good educational and non-depressing read... maybe you have a suggestion? :)

So, you've read the book and/or discussed it already?

Don't get your panties in a twist.. I neither read, nor discussed it, nor do I have any intention of doing such, since I don't judge people based on anything but their own words and actions, much less waste time with the lib/cons tags.

I simply stated what my eyes see every time I read the title of the thread, and it amused me.

Sister, don't worry about my panties... From your post it seemed to me that you've already discussed the topic... that is all. Obviously, I was wrong and didn't get the joke...

Last edited:
So...

-Joe

Actually... here... Two-Edged Sword: Eight Ways to Govern the Country is a sorta decent run-down of what's in the book...

Forum List

Back