Egypt's president will pick a woman and a Christian VP

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Cairo (CNN) -- Egypt's first ever democratically elected president, Mohamed Morsi, will make history in another way: by appointing a woman as vice president, his policy adviser told CNN.

He will also choose another vice president who is Christian, Ahmed Deif said.

The news came as the man Morsi beat for the presidency, Ahmed Shafik, left Egypt on a trip to Abu Dhabi, and as Cairo's administrative court overturned a rule that allowed the military to arrest people without a warrant.

"For the first time in Egyptian history -- not just modern but in all Egyptian history -- a woman will take that position," Deif told CNN's Christiane Amanpour on Monday, referring to one of the vice presidency slots. "And it's not just a vice president who will represent a certain agenda and sect, but a vice president who is powerful and empowered, and will be taking care of critical advising within the presidential Cabinet."

Egypt's new president to pick woman, Christian VPs - CNN.com

In all of Egyptian history? Does this include the females who have sat on the throne as Pharoah?

I'll believe it when I see it.

This is going to turn out like Scott Walker's recall.

This is great news - watch the right wing posters here ignore it.

I'm always amazed how many posters will say "Egypt should respect women and Christians" and then not acknowledge them when they do so.

This is great news - watch the right wing posters here ignore it.

I'm always amazed how many posters will say "Egypt should respect women and Christians" and then not acknowledge them when they do so.

maybe we should wait for it to actually happen before we say how great it is?

Just a thought.

Its a case of I'll believe it when I see it.

I sincerely doubt that any muslim woman will be in any seat of power in Egypt.

After all women in the Muslim religion are considered chattel and lesser beings.

Would be nice if I were wrong but I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening.

Same thing goes for the Christian. Will believe it when I see it.

After all women in the Muslim religion are considered chattel and lesser beings.

I can think of three Islamic countries that have had female heads of state....compare that with the US....?

I can think of three Islamic countries that have had female heads of state....compare that with the US....?

Ouch.

I guess Claudette doesn't do a lot of reading.

Here's a list of those that I found.

Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president[2]
Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister[3]
Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia[4] and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers.
Other Muslim- majority nations which have had female political leaders include:

Turkey elected Tansu Çiller, who became prime minister on June 13, 1993[5]
In the Muslim majority region of Kosovo, President Atifete Jahjaga was unanimously elected by the Assembly of Kosovo on April 7, 2011[6]
Kyrgyzstan's President Roza Otunbayeva was sworn in on July 3, 2010, after acting as interim leader following the 2010 April revolution.
Senegal's Mame Madior Boye was Prime Minister from 2001 to 2002.
Nearly one-third of the Parliament of Egypt- the fifth most populous Muslim majority nation- also consists of women.[7]

Don't see to many Middle Eastern countries that had Muslim woman as head of State.

Women do make up 1/3rd of Egypts parliment so perhaps there is hope the new Prez will practice what he preaches.

I'll still believe it when I see it.

Ouch.

I guess Claudette doesn't do a lot of reading.

Sorry to disappoint but I probably read more than you do there sparky.

Just not up on Muslim trivia.

Indonesia, the most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Megawati Sukarnoputri as president[2]
Pakistan, the second most populous Muslim-majority country, twice (non-consecutively) elected Benazir Bhutto as prime minister[3]
Bangladesh, the third most populous Muslim-majority country, elected Khaleda Zia[4] and Sheikh Hasina as prime ministers.

In the Muslim majority region of Kosovo, President Atifete Jahjaga was unanimously elected by the Assembly of Kosovo on April 7, 2011[6]
Kyrgyzstan's President Roza Otunbayeva was sworn in on July 3, 2010, after acting as interim leader following the 2010 April revolution.
Nearly one-third of the Parliament of Egypt- the fifth most populous Muslim majority nation- also consists of women.[7]

Don't see to many Middle Eastern countries that had Muslim woman as head of State.

Women do make up 1/3rd of Egypts parliment so perhaps there is hope the new Prez will practice what he preaches.

Yeah, that's a pretty good list...thanks for posting it.

How many have had Christian heads of state?

Whoa there horsey i wanna see dates for each one and the number of Muslims in that country only then will i be willing to accept that Muslims themselves elected a female leader.

Iraq had a Christian Prime Minister before we invaded them, Tariq Aziz, Lebanon also had Christian Presidents, but you are right in this case I will believe it when I see it.

Iraq had a Christian Prime Minister before we invaded them, Tariq Aziz, Lebanon also had Christian Presidents, but you are right in this case I will believe it when I see it.

Those were puppet Governments also wheres your proof?

If Morsi does that, he won't be president long. He ran on a fundamentalist platform and that's what the people elected.

He will promise much and do what will get him the most benefit.

Those were puppet Governments also wheres your proof?

Proof of what? you don't believe Tariq Aziz was a Christian?:confused:

If Morsi does that, he won't be president long. He ran on a fundamentalist platform and that's what the people elected.

He will promise much and do what will get him the most benefit.

I don't know about the woman VP thing but theres no way in hell this guy severed his ties with the Muslim Brotherhood just like that. This is all a game to get the acceptance of the international community, they are not stupid they know this is what the world wants to see.

"For the first time in Egyptian history -- not just modern but in all Egyptian history -- a woman will take that position," Deif told CNN's Christiane Amanpour on Monday, referring to one of the vice presidency slots. "And it's not just a vice president who will represent a certain agenda and sect, but a vice president who is powerful and empowered, and will be taking care of critical advising within the presidential Cabinet."

Egypt's new president to pick woman, Christian VPs - CNN.com

:lol: CNN's Christiane Amanpour was attacked in Egypt :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl55LbBFolU"]Christiane Amanpour[/ame]

why not one reasonable comment on this potentually good development from the right.

If it does indeed happend will you see it as a good development?

Forum List

Back