Egypt's Not So Subtle Threat Against Japan

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20060211f1.html

Egypt ambassador counsels caution on cartoons

By KANAKO TAKAHARA

Staff writer

Attacks like the ones on the Danish embassies in Syria and Lebanon last weekend could take place in Japan if the media here insult Muslims by reprinting cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad, Egyptian Ambassador to Japan Hisham Badr warned Friday.

News photo
Hisham Badr

"This is not a question of freedom of expression. . . . This is a question of blaspheme of religion," Badr said in an interview with The Japan Times. "It touches a very raw nerve" with Muslims worldwide.

Badr praised both Tokyo for urging media not to reprint the cartoons and news organizations for complying.

Caricatures of the prophet Muhammad that first appeared in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten daily last September and have since been reprinted in the media in several other European countries sparked outrage throughout the Islamic world and caused some violent reactions, including the torching of the Danish embassies in Syria and Lebanon.

The Foreign Ministry on Monday recommended media organizations not reprint the caricatures out of consideration for Muslims and for fear it could trigger attacks on Japanese. The ministry also issued a statement Tuesday saying Japan understands the distress of the Muslims but they should not resort to violence.

"Reprinting (the images) is a provocation," the ambassador said. "It is as if they are saying 'we don't care about your feelings.' "

He added that even pictures of the caricatures that show them indirectly is unnecessary. The Japan Times printed a photograph in its Feb. 4 editions of a person holding a French newspaper that carried the cartoons.

Islam bans depictions, saying they could lead to idolatry.

Badr also said many Muslims around the world have felt frustrated since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York and Washington by the negative stereotypes of them.

"In itself, the cartoons are insulting," he said. "But at the same time, it comes as part of a bigger trend of Muslims feeling that they are projected negatively."

Drawing the prophet as a terrorist -- as one of the cartoons did -- is equivalent to saying all Muslims, who account for about one-third of of the world's population, are terrorists, Badr said.

Frustration has continued to grow as other issues arise in Arab nations, including the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, the torture of Iraqis in Abu Ghraib prison and the continued occupation of Palestinian land, he said.

"It is a wakeup call for the West to reassess its policy against the Islamic world," Badr said.

The Egyptian envoy condemned violence, urging Muslims in Japan to express their feelings peacefully.

He said promoting a better understanding of Islam and its followers in Japan was more in line with the peaceful spirit of the religion.
The Japan Times: Feb. 11, 2006

comes together...Islam is groveling to the world...they F'd up and are know looking redemption...not gonna happen...IMO

archangel said:
comes together...Islam is groveling to the world...they F'd up and are know looking redemption...not gonna happen...IMO
Where do you see Islam groveling? Japan, Europe, even the US, sure.

Kathianne said:
Where do you see Islam groveling? Japan, Europe, even the US, sure.

however it appears as if all groveling....Islam begging for redemption and non violence and the rest catering and bowing....makes one want to..... :puke3:

archangel said:
however it appears as if all groveling....Islam begging for redemption and non violence and the rest catering and bowing....makes one want to..... :puke3:
I'd really like to see how you get from here to there. Where are they calling for non-violence, other than a tack on to what they perceive to be a nod to 'civility', which perhaps is actually brought forth by the reporter? AFTER they threaten a declared appeaser?

Kathianne said:
I'd really like to see how you get from here to there. Where are they calling for non-violence, other than a tack on to what they perceive to be a nod to 'civility', which perhaps is actually brought forth by the reporter? AFTER they threaten a declared appeaser?

maybe because it has something to do with their now calling for peaceful protests rather than violent and asking the world to see this?When in fact we all know it is a phoney jesture...there ya have it from here to there! :cof:

archangel said:
maybe because it has something to do with their now calling for peaceful protests rather than violent and asking the world to see this?When in fact we all know it is a phoney jesture...there ya have it from here to there! :cof:

Ok, you are therefore assuming someone, somewhere is buying this?

Kathianne said:
Ok, you are therefore assuming someone, somewhere is buying this?

someone will always ASSUME something...so assume means in all pretext...

to assume will make a ASS out of U and ME!...I know i'm being pretentious...but it is fun! :cof:

I don't see Islam groveling at all.

Note the line where he (Egypts ambassador) compares freedom of speech to blasphemy. If an American did that, he's be crucified (yeah it's a bad pun, but I could't resist) most ricky tick.

Let them riot. Then the cops can shoot to kill.

archangel said:
someone will always ASSUME something...so assume means in all pretext...

to assume will make a ASS out of U and ME!...I know i'm being pretentious...but it is fun! :cof:
LOL! Thank you for proving the point.

Forum List

Back