Egypt’s Coptic churches prepare for Virgin’s Fast amid tightened security

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Coptic churches and monasteries in Egypt began preparations for The Virgin’s Fast, expecting to receive thousands of visitors, amid tightened security measures anticipating terrorist attacks.

Churches advised worshipers on Sunday to keep visits short and and enter/exit premises from indicated doors only. Inspection measures are in place and metal detector gates have been set up.

Attacks on Egypt’s Coptic Christians have become increasingly common since the toppling of the country’s long-time leader Hosni Mubarak in 2011, prompting a mass exodus of Christians from some rural towns.

In May, gunmen attacked a bus of Christians heading for a monastery in Central Egypt, killing at least 28 worshipers.

Earlier, two suicide bombings at Palm Sunday services in April killed at least 46 people in the northern cities of Alexandria and Tanta.

Several churches and monasteries in Assiut, Minya, and throughout Cairo are celebrating the holy occasion, which lasts from August 7-22.
Egypt's Coptic churches prepare for Virgin's Fast amid tightened security - Egypt Independent

Hopefully nothing will happen

Coptic churches and monasteries in Egypt began preparations for The Virgin’s Fast, expecting to receive thousands of visitors, amid tightened security measures anticipating terrorist attacks.

Churches advised worshipers on Sunday to keep visits short and and enter/exit premises from indicated doors only. Inspection measures are in place and metal detector gates have been set up.

Attacks on Egypt’s Coptic Christians have become increasingly common since the toppling of the country’s long-time leader Hosni Mubarak in 2011, prompting a mass exodus of Christians from some rural towns.

In May, gunmen attacked a bus of Christians heading for a monastery in Central Egypt, killing at least 28 worshipers.

Earlier, two suicide bombings at Palm Sunday services in April killed at least 46 people in the northern cities of Alexandria and Tanta.

Several churches and monasteries in Assiut, Minya, and throughout Cairo are celebrating the holy occasion, which lasts from August 7-22.
Egypt's Coptic churches prepare for Virgin's Fast amid tightened security - Egypt Independent

Hopefully nothing will happen

It interests me that you mention Hosni Mubarak in a manner suggesting that HE was
better for the Copts than is the present cast of animals. My information on Mubarak
comes from Copts with whom I worked more than 20 years ago------THEY DESPISED
him and even accused him of murdering their main "patriarch"-------On further lite
google------I am still not sure. Any copts out there? I need an opinion on SISI

Forum List

Back