Egypt cuts off all internet

The biggest problem is this. This guy we have over there has prevented any educated and organized political opposition, If he's taken down, I guarantee the U.S. will do its damnedest to replace him with another fucking tyrant.

Maybe that'll be the last draw and we'll see another real revolution and the rise of anti-western forces who help terrorist attack us?

But that could never happen, right?...

Al Jazeera is back up.
(All times are local in Egypt.)

Live blog 30/1 - Egypt protests | Al Jazeera Blogs

8.27pm An Al Jazeera correspondent says that protesters at Tahrir Square have spelled “Down w/ Mubarak” with their bodies. He also reported that bringing down the Mubarak government remains the main demand of the movement.

8:20pm Media blogger Jeff Jarvis writes that US cable companies should begin carrying Al Jazeera English:

What the Gulf War was to CNN, the people’s revolutions of the Middle East are to Al Jazeera English. But in the U.S., in a sad vestige of the era of Freedom Fries, hardly anyone can watch the channel on cable TV. Cable companies: Add Al Jazeera English NOW!

It is downright un-American to still refuse to carry it. Vital, world-changing news is occurring in the Middle East and no one–not the xenophobic or celebrity-obsessed or cut-to-the-bone American media–can bring the perspective, insight, and on-the-scene reporting Al Jazeera English can.

7:49pm Tens of thousands of protesters in Mansoura are calling for President Mubarak to step down, and demonstrators continue marching in Alexandria despite the third consecutive nighttime curfew.

7:34pm Al Jazeera reports with audio from Tahrir Square, where crowds have been swirling around former IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei.

7:21pm Egyptian police are to return to the streets tomorrow, sources have told Al Jazeera. Meanwhile, protesters continue to demonstrate across the country.

That's bad news. I'd be less concerned if it were Al Arabiya, which is pro-Western. But if they're pulling Al Jazeera's credentials they're planning something they don't want even nonaligned or anti-Western Arabs to see.

yup. to back track a moment I saw a blurb on cnn that said Mubarak had not shut down the cell phones and web himself, via a mechanism the gov. controlled but that Vodaphone and others had did so at his request, theres a difference .
Nopt much of one, given the nature of the system we support in Egypt

the irony being we are legislating the same ;)

I have a question; if it came to it and the Armed forces and police moved on the crowds, would we here exhort the Egyptians to fight back? Would should Obama?

I have a question; if it came to it and the Armed forces and police moved on the crowds, would we here exhort the Egyptians to fight back? Would should Obama?
We'd publicly denounce the violence, but do nothing to stop it.

At most, we'd offer him a nice villa to retire in while are installed a replacement with the same background and a better PR agent

At most, we'd offer him a nice villa to retire in while are installed a replacement with the same background and a better PR agent

that really didn't answer the question JB.

Yes, it did.

It's none of our GD business. If the new government becomes a threat we need to deal with it then. But for now we need to stay the fuck out of their internal affairs.

Yes, it did.

violence from whom ? the army or the crowds?
Neither. We'll just say we condemn violence and bloodshed and want to see peace restored. We'll call for reforms and compromise on both sides and say something about how Egypt can be a beacon of stability and liberty in the Middle East.

We'll mean none of it.

The Egyptian people are sick of being ruled by a puppet dictator backed by US/Israel money and weapons. :evil:

So with a less than literacy rate of 60% they'll instead be the next Iran. Great call.
Here are the figures on Egypt's literacy rate. You can bet that Iran's is more than 60% too.
Demographics of Egypt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Literacy
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 71.4%
male: 83%
female: 59.4% (2005 est.)[1],,,,
[edit]

I'll stick with CIA factbook, thanks though.

It's none of our GD business. If the new government becomes a threat we need to deal with it then. But for now we need to stay the fuck out of their internal affairs.
Go back a few years and tell us that

so we don't say anything to the 'street' or mubarak....?

"We still don’t have access to the internet.

"As far as I’m concerned, Mubarak has taken the nation back to the Middle Ages.
I’m sure he is terrified, though, with 50,000 or more people in El Tahrir Square, the center of the revolution in Cairo.

"There are curfews, but no one is listening to them. It might be hard to go out after curfew, but those who are already out at the protests aren’t coming back in.
The police have disappeared, but people are worried that they’ll be back. If they do return, it means more death, because they’ve been really violent."

"This account is based on a telephone conversation today with Jessica Elsayed from her home in Alexandria. Because she has no internet access in recent days, she has been unable to send articles or review these posts before they are published. This account may change after she has had a chance to review it."

Youth Journalism International

Forum List

Back