Egypt appoints new ambassador to Israel

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
JERUSALEM (AP) — Egypt has appointed a new ambassador to Israel, choosing an experienced career diplomat, officials from both countries said, in what some took as sign of positive relations between Israel and Egypt under an Islamist president in Cairo.

Atef Salem el-Ahl has been serving as Egypt's consul in the Israeli resort town of Eilat. He will replace Yasser Reda, whose four-year term ends this summer. Israel's Foreign Ministry and Egypt's state media confirmed the appointment Sunday.

The choice of an envoy familiar with Israel counters concerns in Jerusalem that relations with Cairo could be downgraded with the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

Egypt appoints new ambassador to Israel - Yahoo! News

It all seems to be good news out of Egypt these days - let's hope this guy can encourage both sides to the negotiating table, and maybe as a catalyst for a peace process.

It all seems to be good news out of Egypt these days - let's hope this guy can encourage both sides to the negotiating table, and maybe as a catalyst for a peace process.

Let's hope what "seems to be good news coming out of Egypt these days" continues and is a beacon for other Arab Spring revolutions.

I think the initial fear that the "Islamists" were going to tear up the peace agreement and attack Israel are subsiding. I never thought that was going to happen anyway.

The major difference is that the Mubarak regime was at the service of Israel and that is no longer the case.

The Mubarak regime was also close to Abbas while being mostly dismissive of the government in Gaza. That roll is reversing. There have been regular diplomatic interaction between Egypt an Gaza.

Have you seen anything going on in the West Bank.

LOL sit tight tinny the islamo nazi pigs in egypt are between a rock and a hard place Iran ambitions Turkey ambitions and "islamic brotherhood ambitions"

LOL sit tight tinny the islamo nazi pigs in egypt are between a rock and a hard place Iran ambitions Turkey ambitions and "islamic brotherhood ambitions"

I see more sanity in Egypt now than ever.

I don't understand your position.

Pay attention to events----if you have a brain----you will begin to understand Right now Egypt is in a SUNNI FRENZY ----PLUS Egyptian islam has a history of emnity withr regard to the turkish version of islam which is moderate and BOTH despise Iranians In fact both despise "BALESTINIANS"

Pay attention to events----if you have a brain----you will begin to understand Right now Egypt is in a SUNNI FRENZY ----PLUS Egyptian islam has a history of emnity withr regard to the turkish version of islam which is moderate and BOTH despise Iranians In fact both despise "BALESTINIANS"

Could you provide some examples?

JERUSALEM (AP) — Egypt has appointed a new ambassador to Israel, choosing an experienced career diplomat, officials from both countries said, in what some took as sign of positive relations between Israel and Egypt under an Islamist president in Cairo.

Atef Salem el-Ahl has been serving as Egypt's consul in the Israeli resort town of Eilat. He will replace Yasser Reda, whose four-year term ends this summer. Israel's Foreign Ministry and Egypt's state media confirmed the appointment Sunday.

The choice of an envoy familiar with Israel counters concerns in Jerusalem that relations with Cairo could be downgraded with the rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

Egypt just dissed Iran's IslamoNazis during Morsi's recent visit to Iran. It's all over Iranian news now. At the end of the day, Shiite Iran is supporting Syria's Assad, which is slaughtering Sunnis, Iran sides with Iraq's Shi'ites in their struggle against the Sunnis. Morsi has also just announced that he plans to visit Israel, officially, which is tantamount to blasphemy for the Iranians.

The Arab Spring is about to get much bloodier.

Last edited:

Wheeel. Let see how it goes, then.

You see more sanity because your political view is against Israel.

The Muslim brotherhood will doom Egypt. Maybe not tomorrow, or the day after, but it will happen eventually.

That is the other position.

Lipush -

The clampdown began around 2 weeks back, focusing on Sinai.

I will ilnk the bbc coverage in when I get home. I think it is good news myself, so have been surprised that people who oppose Islamic extremism have been reluctant to praise the action.

Well, that's not what *I've* heard:eusa_snooty:

The terror attack in Sinai by Palestinians changed things, perhaps.

But also many people in the Muslim brotherhood were in VERY much hurry to blaim Israel and the Mossad (shark?).

Morsi said he will not visit Israel. He denied answering Peres' letter. our people said, truthfully, that Morsi is afraid to act on any action who might cause the Muslim brotherhood to raise an eyebrow.

Well, that's not what *I've* heard:eusa_snooty:

The terror attack in Sinai by Palestinians changed things, perhaps.

But also many people in the Muslim brotherhood were in VERY much hurry to blaim Israel and the Mossad (shark?).

Morsi said he will not visit Israel. He denied answering Peres' letter. our people said, truthfully, that Morsi is afraid to act on any action who might cause the Muslim brotherhood to raise an eyebrow.

That could well be the case (about visiting Israel)

Morsi clearly has to walk a tightrope line between Islamic interests and the more pragmatic voices who want a more pro-western line. At the moment he is walking that line with a confidence and calm that we have not seen in Egypt since Nasser.

I take my hat off to him, and hope it will continue.

Roudy -

Do you support Morsi visiting Israel and clamping down on Islamic extremism?
There is no such thing as Islamic extremism. :cool:

That statement is true. Some peole make the mistake of believing that Osama bin Laden was an "extremist" or even a criminal among muslims. He was not---he was a pious sunni muslim doing what pious sunni muslims are supposed to do. The fact that muslims who slit the throats of infants are rewarded in their mosques and societies is does not suggest that they or their societies are extremist-----it indicates their piety

Rosie -

The fact that muslims who slit the throats of infants are rewarded in their mosques and societies

Can you remind us of the last time this happened in, say, the US or UK? Anywhere in Europe of North America?

How about in Malaysia, Turkey or Bangladesh? Indonesia or Tunisia? Ghana or Senegal?

Rosie -

The fact that muslims who slit the throats of infants are rewarded in their mosques and societies

Can you remind us of the last time this happened in, say, the US or UK? Anywhere in Europe of North America?

How about in Malaysia, Turkey or Bangladesh? Indonesia or Tunisia? Ghana or Senegal?

How would I know about everyone of the millions of rapes and murders over the past 50 years? I will offer a single example of the filth you support Tunisia ----in the past had a significant community of jews-----in fact for more than 2500 years That community was reduced from about 200,000 to a few thousand by murderous pogroms once Italy gave up control of Tunisia. and ISLAM WAS FREE TO BE ISLAM There was---in Tunisia---a 2500 year old synagogue that housed manuscripts just as ancient (keep in mind----arabic did not even had an alphabet until about 1700 years ago) The synagogue was so important to some people that it was a site of pilgrimage for centuries Last summer in celebration of the GLORIOUS ISLAMIC ARAB SPRING ------the worshippers of "al nabi" murdered the rabbi and destroyed the ancient synagogue and ancient manuscripts ALLAHUAKBAAAR> there has been no investigation or arrests in Tunisia. I do not know how the heroes are being rewarded------but-----they are certainly not being prosecuted --------if the man "BAZ" who murdered a jewish kid in New York City about 20 years ago simply because the kid was in van marked with Hebrew letters----ever gets back to his HOME He will be called a HERO not a murderer In fact during his trial in New York city his friends laughed in the face of the dead child's mother

Of the millions of Sudanese christians raped and murdered----how many people have been criminally prosecuted in Khartoum?

The issue of ongoing murders of hindus in Kenya ----came to me from hindu immigrants from Kenya I have never heard of any prosecutions

New Topics

Forum List

Back