Effort to spread the truth

bluesky79

Apr 21, 2008
Korea is one in many countries that have received most damage from Japan in forms of forced mobilization. After the Manchurian incident in 1931 until the end of WWII in 1945, more than 7 million Koreans have been mobilized for war and forced labor.
Among them, approximately 400,000 have been dragged to Japan and 300,000 have faced death. Such heartbreaking history exist but Japan has not publicly apologized for this matter to say nothing of the comfort women issue.
However, it is said that a monument will be set up in Kobe city in the memory of Koreans drawn to Japan and exploited until death.
Honorary Professor of Kobe Univ. Yasui Sankin explained the reason for the monument, saying its purpose is to reflect on their history of forced mobilization and to spread the truth to future generations.
Acknowledging one's mistakes and apologizing. Wouldn't that be the features of a advanced nation?
Including the government, every Japanese citizen should have an upright understanding of past history and have a sense of repent on issues such as the comfort women and Dokdo. Koreans on the other hand should open a new era of Korea-Japan relations with cool-headed attitude instead of clinging on to past history and anti-Japanese sentiments.

Korea is one in many countries that have received most damage from Japan in forms of forced mobilization. After the Manchurian incident in 1931 until the end of WWII in 1945, more than 7 million Koreans have been mobilized for war and forced labor.
Among them, approximately 400,000 have been dragged to Japan and 300,000 have faced death. Such heartbreaking history exist but Japan has not publicly apologized for this matter to say nothing of the comfort women issue.
However, it is said that a monument will be set up in Kobe city in the memory of Koreans drawn to Japan and exploited until death.
Honorary Professor of Kobe Univ. Yasui Sankin explained the reason for the monument, saying its purpose is to reflect on their history of forced mobilization and to spread the truth to future generations.
Acknowledging one's mistakes and apologizing. Wouldn't that be the features of a advanced nation?
Including the government, every Japanese citizen should have an upright understanding of past history and have a sense of repent on issues such as the comfort women and Dokdo. Koreans on the other hand should open a new era of Korea-Japan relations with cool-headed attitude instead of clinging on to past history and anti-Japanese sentiments.

Learning from past history is understandable. Apologizing for something you had no part in and/or weren't even alive when it happened is stupid.

Acknowledging those past mistakes made by ones country is fine and dandy, but it's a rather hollow and pointless apology coming from a Japan that is not the Japan that committed the attrocities.

Learning from past history is understandable. Apologizing for something you had no part in and/or weren't even alive when it happened is stupid.

Acknowledging those past mistakes made by ones country is fine and dandy, but it's a rather hollow and pointless apology coming from a Japan that is not the Japan that committed the attrocities.

I agree in principle, EXCEPT, Japan teaches that WW2 was not their fault, that they did not commit autrocities in China, Korea and the Pacific. Japan actively teaches lies to their population.

On THIS point one should demand the truth. And it is obvious the Japanese will never acknowledge they were a problem in the 30's and 40's.

I agree in principle, EXCEPT, Japan teaches that WW2 was not their fault, that they did not commit autrocities in China, Korea and the Pacific. Japan actively teaches lies to their population.

On THIS point one should demand the truth. And it is obvious the Japanese will never acknowledge they were a problem in the 30's and 40's.

The US actively teaches the US Civil War was fought to free the slaves. Japan has no monopoly on spreading manure to deny the truth and rewrite history to support its politics.;)

The US actively teaches the US Civil War was fought to free the slaves. Japan has no monopoly on spreading manure to deny the truth and rewrite history to support its politics.;)

Wrong again, I was not taught the Civil War was to "free " the Slaves I was taught the Civil war was over States rights and the biggest one threatened was slavery. Of course maybe liberals now a days teach what you claim, I never got taught that in grade school ( back when they still taught history), High School or college.

In fairness, the texts do make clear that Lincoln's first and primary objective was to preserve the Union; slavery became a motivation factor in '62, with the Emancipation Proclamation.

In fairness, the texts do make clear that Lincoln's first and primary objective was to preserve the Union; slavery became a motivation factor in '62, with the Emancipation Proclamation.

I think it depends on where you live what is taught. My daughter was in jr high when I was stationed in Northern Virginia. Imagine my surprise when I got a call from Ms Honor Roll's counselor that she had been sent to the office for "disrupting class" by refusing to act appropriately apologetic for the institution of slavery and when called upon refused to acknowledge it as "the" cause of the US Civil War.

My experience from going to school's all over the country courtesy of being a service brat is that what is taught depends on that state's or region's role in the Civil War.

Surprisingly, the most unbiased and fact-based public school curriculum I encountered was in the Midwest (KS); which, was supported by later individual research. I found that a bit surprising considering Kansas' pre-actual war role in the lead up to the war.

IIRC, you teach in a private school, correct? I would assume you probably have a better curriculum than public schools which are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Just my opinion, of course.

Wrong again, I was not taught the Civil War was to "free " the Slaves I was taught the Civil war was over States rights and the biggest one threatened was slavery. Of course maybe liberals now a days teach what you claim, I never got taught that in grade school ( back when they still taught history), High School or college.

I'm not sure how I can be "wrong" considering I used the term "teaches" in the present tense. I didn't address what you were taught when kids still went to school in covered wagons.;)

I think it depends on where you live what is taught. My daughter was in jr high when I was stationed in Northern Virginia. Imagine my surprise when I got a call from Ms Honor Roll's counselor that she had been sent to the office for "disrupting class" by refusing to act appropriately apologetic for the institution of slavery and when called upon refused to acknowledge it as "the" cause of the US Civil War.

My experience from going to school's all over the country courtesy of being a service brat is that what is taught depends on that state's or region's role in the Civil War.

Surprisingly, the most unbiased and fact-based public school curriculum I encountered was in the Midwest (KS); which, was supported by later individual research. I found that a bit surprising considering Kansas' pre-actual war role in the lead up to the war.

IIRC, you teach in a private school, correct? I would assume you probably have a better curriculum than public schools which are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Just my opinion, of course.

Wow, I'd have been over there raising Cain. LOL! I think our curriculum is probably better, since we 'start' with standards then go beyond. As I said though, our text book, American Nation, is a pretty popular one with middle schools in general, published by Pearson/Prentice Hall.

WWII was not their fault. Japan did not start WWII, they started an invasion of Indo-China in 1937, World War II did not become WWII until 1939 when Hitler invaded Poland, (nothing to do with Japan) plunging the rest of the world into a war. I agreet that WWII was not Japan's fault. American military involvement in WWII was Japan's fault....(However, America would have joing eventually, but Japan just sped up the process.)

I'm with you. Kids are taught what their teachers know. And a lot of teachers don't know much beyond their own opinions and half-truths.
And almost all of them have abominable English/writing skills.

I'm with you. Kids are taught what their teachers know. And a lot of teachers don't know much beyond their own opinions and half-truths.
And almost all of them have abominable English/writing skills.

OK Allie Babble, you are obviously mis-informed.

First off, where is your proof of this??? (Oh that's right, you have none). It's makes sense that this kind of assinine statement would come from someone who doesn't teach. Teachers, unfortunately, are paid a meager salaries and are under-appreciated. Much to your suprise, the majority of teachers attend 4 year universities and are educated in their field.

You're initial statement about teachers only teach what they know is basically correct, but you fail to recognizet he fact that teachers know alot more than you do, and in fact have 4 year degrees in what they "know".

Yawn.

I don't know..I've picked it up here and there. Like when my son's KINDERGARTEN TEACHER sent home his MISSPELLED spelling words list....

Yawn.

I don't know..I've picked it up here and there. Like when my son's KINDERGARTEN TEACHER sent home his MISSPELLED spelling words list....

Oh ok. I get it, because your son's (1) kindergarten teacher may not live up to your standards, all teachers are ignorant...
:cuckoo:

You sound like a teacher.

"Underpaid."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Our kids are taught by a Union. Isn't that great?

You sound like a teacher.

"Underpaid."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Our kids are taught by a Union. Isn't that great?

PROOF PLEASE. Just beacuse there are teachers Unions doesn't mean that all teachers are Union members.....Isn't that great!?

And for your informatin, I have more knowledge than you will ever hold, therefore when I teach my students about what I know, they'll be getting a great education. the problem comes about when some teachers let their own personally biased opinions get in the way of historical events. DO NOT GENERALIZE.

You speak of being underpaid, why is it you think teachers are not entitled by the free American spirit of wanting more pay for their work??? We are, after all, trained and educated to teach other human beings. Can you think of a more important job?? (that is teaching other human beings how to function in society.)?

The only more important job IMO is the soldiers who defend our oportunities to do what we do.

Forum List

Back