Effects Of Smoking on Human Body

pearltasty

Never Say Never
Jul 19, 2012
Chicago
Effects of smoking on the respiratory system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the respiratory system include:
Irritation of the trachea (windpipe) and larynx (voice box)
Reduced lung function and breathlessness due to swelling and narrowing of the lung airways and excess mucus in the lung passages
Impairment of the lungs’ clearance system, leading to the build-up of poisonous substances, which results in lung irritation and damage
Increased risk of lung infection and symptoms such as coughing and wheezing
Permanent damage to the air sacs of the lungs.

Effects of smoking on the circulatory system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the circulatory system include:
Raised blood pressure and heart rate
Constriction (tightening) of blood vessels in the skin, resulting in a drop in skin temperature
Less oxygen carried by the blood
Stickier blood, which is more prone to clotting
Damage to the lining of the arteries, which is thought to be a contributing factor to atherosclerosis (the build-up of fatty deposits on the artery walls)
Reduced blood flow to extremities like fingers and toes
Increased risk of stroke and heart attack due to blockages of the blood supply.

Effects of smoking on the immune system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the immune system include:
The immune system doesn’t work as well
The person is more prone to infections such as pneumonia and influenza
Illnesses are more severe and it takes longer to get over them.
Lower levels of protective antioxidants (such as Vitamin C), in the blood.

Effects of smoking on the musculoskeletal system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the musculoskeletal system include:
Tightening of certain muscles
Reduced bone density.

If I'd known you were here to spam, I wouldn't have welcomed you.

But yes, smoking is a stupid and dangerous habit.

I think that there are many effect of the smoke, I know some effect of the smoke, you could also try showing the effects of women smoking while pregnant,and bring some stats like 2 out of every 4 smokers gets lung cancer"not real stats just an example" or stats on how much money they are spending on it.

Effects of smoking on the respiratory system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the respiratory system include:
Irritation of the trachea (windpipe) and larynx (voice box)
Reduced lung function and breathlessness due to swelling and narrowing of the lung airways and excess mucus in the lung passages
Impairment of the lungs’ clearance system, leading to the build-up of poisonous substances, which results in lung irritation and damage
Increased risk of lung infection and symptoms such as coughing and wheezing
Permanent damage to the air sacs of the lungs.

Effects of smoking on the circulatory system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the circulatory system include:
Raised blood pressure and heart rate
Constriction (tightening) of blood vessels in the skin, resulting in a drop in skin temperature
Less oxygen carried by the blood
Stickier blood, which is more prone to clotting
Damage to the lining of the arteries, which is thought to be a contributing factor to atherosclerosis (the build-up of fatty deposits on the artery walls)
Reduced blood flow to extremities like fingers and toes
Increased risk of stroke and heart attack due to blockages of the blood supply.

Effects of smoking on the immune system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the immune system include:
The immune system doesn’t work as well
The person is more prone to infections such as pneumonia and influenza
Illnesses are more severe and it takes longer to get over them.
Lower levels of protective antioxidants (such as Vitamin C), in the blood.

Effects of smoking on the musculoskeletal system

The effects of tobacco smoke on the musculoskeletal system include:
Tightening of certain muscles
Reduced bone density.

Thanks, pearltasty. Part of that damage to the arterial walls? It weakens them such that they have a propensity to balloon and burst in a situation called an aneurism. I know. My mother died 3 days after her aneurism burst in her head at age 47. It was the saddest thing our family ever experienced. :(

Hope you save a couple of lives. People mean something to their families.

If I'd known you were here to spam, I wouldn't have welcomed you.

But yes, smoking is a stupid and dangerous habit.
There's a huge difference between a whistle blower and a sales pitch, Noomi. Hope you learn the difference someday.

Peartasty just blew the whistle on one of the biggest killers in American society, not to mention other parts of the world where people become addicted to nicotine, and like my mother, pay the price. My younger siblings were ages 11 and 13 when she passed.

I'm here to tell you there's nothing like motherless adolescents who've lost their way when their mother was the one who took all the responsibilities for them on her shoulder to give the man of the house some peace when he got home from work. :(

^I have lost my grandpa to lung cancer, and my uncle won't live much longer due to his smoking related illness. He just had his second lung transplant.

^I have lost my grandpa to lung cancer, and my uncle won't live much longer due to his smoking related illness. He just had his second lung transplant.

Two lung transplants and still, he smokes. Testament to the incredible power of the addiction to tobacco.

You're likely to get a lot of hassle here but don't be discouraged.

My own opinion is - Its your business until you trash my air with your addiction. I fought long and hard to be rid of cigarettes and dammit, you can keep yours to yourself.

Think I will start a thread on the effects of obesity on the human body since it is the number 2 killer.

Two lung transplants and still, he smokes. Testament to the incredible power of the addiction to tobacco.

My own opinion is - Its your business until you trash my air with your addiction. I fought long and hard to be rid of cigarettes and dammit, you can keep yours to yourself.

No, he quit 12 months before the first transplant. He hasn't smoked since, but he needed a second transplant as his lungs were failing.

I quit a year ago. It was pretty easy once I decided that is what I wanted to do. As I went through withdrawal and had to deal with it, I had a thought that may strike some of you as odd, but here it is. I think the cigarette companies promote the idea, indirectly, that smoking is really hard to quit, that the addiction is so strong that you are most likely to fail if you try to quit. Why would they do such a thing? Think about it.

Quitting for me was quite easy, even after 30 years of a pack a day or more. Yes, I had the urge to have a cigarette for a few weeks, but it wasn't horrible. I have heard things like nicotine is more addictive and tougher to quit than heroin. Have you heard that one? Well, it's pure bullshit. Have you ever seen someone go through heroin withdrawal? They can't walk for a week because they are so weak and they can't eat because anything they try to eat they throw up. They have cold sweats most of the time, which does last up to one full week. Nah, quitting smoking is pretty easy. I did it cold turkey, just stopped. The biggest thing stopping any smoker from quitting is themself.

Smoking is injurious for health as it may cause lung diseases. It is injurious not only for your health even those who come into contact with cigarette smoke can be affected, especially children.

Statistics are a wonderful thing. If you live long enough you will probably die of cancer. If you smoked it will add to the cancer statistics.

Statistics are a wonderful thing. If you live long enough you will probably die of cancer. If you smoked it will add to the cancer statistics.

Those who smoke their entire lives, on average, die 13 to 14 years sooner than non-smokers. Those who quit before the age of 35 can expect to have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker. Those quitting before 50 decrease their chances of dying before 65 by 50%.

I didn't quit because I was worried about when I would die; I quit because I just didn't like the idea of spending the last ten years of my life having to carry around an oxygen tank just so I could breath.

Those who smoke their entire lives, on average, die 13 to 14 years sooner than non-smokers. Those who quit before the age of 35 can expect to have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker. Those quitting before 50 decrease their chances of dying before 65 by 50%.

I didn't quit because I was worried about when I would die; I quit because I just didn't like the idea of spending the last ten years of my life having to carry around an oxygen tank just so I could breath.

Any reason to quit is a good reason, as far as I am concerned.

I quit a year ago. It was pretty easy once I decided that is what I wanted to do. As I went through withdrawal and had to deal with it, I had a thought that may strike some of you as odd, but here it is. I think the cigarette companies promote the idea, indirectly, that smoking is really hard to quit, that the addiction is so strong that you are most likely to fail if you try to quit. Why would they do such a thing? Think about it.

Quitting for me was quite easy, even after 30 years of a pack a day or more. Yes, I had the urge to have a cigarette for 'a few weeks, but it wasn't horrible. I have heard things like nicotine is more addictive and tougher to quit than heroin. Have you heard that one? Well, it's pure bullshit. Have you ever seen someone go through heroin withdrawal? They can't walk for a week because they are so weak and they can't eat because anything they try to eat they throw up. They have cold sweats most of the time, which does last up to one full week. Nah, quitting smoking is pretty easy. I did it cold turkey, just stopped. The biggest thing stopping any smoker from quitting is themself.

That is based on a sample of ONE. I've heard a number of others say similar things. However, my own experience was very different.

As with many other aspects of life, the difficulty of quitting smoking plots into a bell curve. You were on one side: I was on the other. It took me six months and it was indeed very difficult. However, I called the Cancer Society's 'Quit Smoking' hotline - and every one of the symptoms I was experiencing was on their list of possible side effects. And knowing that made all the difference!

It's been 25 years since I quit - and I'm glad I managed it.

I quit because my dear loving husband 'made' me quit.....the one time in 37 years that he insisted on something strongly and I couldn't give him any logical counter-arguments.

That may be the only 'argument' he's won in all this time, but it was pretty important.

I quit because of the taxes. Taxes specifically used to pay for the health care of illegal aliens.

Other than that, there were no ill effects from smoking. I went to e-cigarettes and never missed tobacco.

My Papa chewed tobacco, smoked cigars, cigarettes and dipped tobacco, he live to be 96.
No one in my family have ever died from smoking related use.

Quitting for me was quite easy, even after 30 years of a pack a day or more. Yes, I had the urge to have a cigarette for 'a few weeks, but it wasn't horrible. I have heard things like nicotine is more addictive and tougher to quit than heroin. Have you heard that one? Well, it's pure bullshit. Have you ever seen someone go through heroin withdrawal? They can't walk for a week because they are so weak and they can't eat because anything they try to eat they throw up. They have cold sweats most of the time, which does last up to one full week. Nah, quitting smoking is pretty easy. I did it cold turkey, just stopped. The biggest thing stopping any smoker from quitting is themself.

That is based on a sample of ONE. I've heard a number of others say similar things. However, my own experience was very different.

As with many other aspects of life, the difficulty of quitting smoking plots into a bell curve. You were on one side: I was on the other. It took me six months and it was indeed very difficult. However, I called the Cancer Society's 'Quit Smoking' hotline - and every one of the symptoms I was experiencing was on their list of possible side effects. And knowing that made all the difference!

It's been 25 years since I quit - and I'm glad I managed it.

Most people go through a type of fog for a couple of weeks, besides dealing with the cravings. It just becomes a day at a time thing, but as each day passes, it gets easier knowing you made it one more day. Once the fog lifts, you start feeling normal again. The one thing that helped me tremendously is that I started working out one week after I quit. Many others I have talked to, who have successfully quit, also did intense workout programs. Once the lungs begin to clear, working out becomes much easier, although it is still not easy. The thing is, it changes your entire outlook on life as you go from not only quitting but getting your body in great shape. I actually lost weight after quitting. I was not overweight yet, but I was starting to gain. I had hit my heaviest weight when I quit at 154 lbs. I am now down to 140, which is right about where I want to be. The only thing I can't seem to lose is an extra 2 inches in my waist.

Forum List

Back