Effective ways to get your grades up and get into college?

bergone

Rookie
Dec 4, 2011
Hello,

I am a slightly confused and struggling student in his third year of HS. I was homeschooled through middle school poorly which kept my math and science grades the same. I have since then attended a school for special education (academic) needs and it has barely helped me, & teachers have been inconsistent. I am struggling to get my math skills up from 6th-7th grade level up to about 10th by the time I am determined to return to public school for my senior year. And probably for the same in science, and even literature. The thing I am most struggling with is college prep, even though I know what I want to do and which steps to take, I get stressed and lazy with it and fall to procrastination easily; meds such as adderall xr dont help with the "desire". I am looking for the most effective way to get my math/science/literature/etc grades up by normal level by 2013 when I plan to graduate and move on into college and pursue a meteorology/atmospheric sciences type career strongly involving math & science. It's been said that each generation (about each 40 years) gets dumber and dumber, so that is one factor that is working against me. Nice, nice.

Hello,

I am a slightly confused and struggling student in his third year of HS. I was homeschooled through middle school poorly which kept my math and science grades the same. I have since then attended a school for special education (academic) needs and it has barely helped me, & teachers have been inconsistent. I am struggling to get my math skills up from 6th-7th grade level up to about 10th by the time I am determined to return to public school for my senior year. And probably for the same in science, and even literature. The thing I am most struggling with is college prep, even though I know what I want to do and which steps to take, I get stressed and lazy with it and fall to procrastination easily; meds such as adderall xr dont help with the "desire". I am looking for the most effective way to get my math/science/literature/etc grades up by normal level by 2013 when I plan to graduate and move on into college and pursue a meteorology/atmospheric sciences type career strongly involving math & science. It's been said that each generation (about each 40 years) gets dumber and dumber, so that is one factor that is working against me. Nice, nice.

Kumon Learning Centers | Request a Brochure

Welcome to Kaplan Test Prep

Test Prep: GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, SAT, ACT, and More

Hello,

Some Sylvan Learning Centers offer advanced math tutoring.

Unless you have some learning disability, they can be very effective in helping students learn higher math concepts.

Hello,

Grab the nearest TV and throw it out a window.

With a learning disability, you can stay in school until you are 21. Schedule all AP courses for your 6th and 7th year of HS and let us know how that goes.

Nice trolling kid.

Hello,

So, let me get this straight. You're a dope at math - yet you want a degree that's "strongly involved with math and science."

Sure. NASA can hardly wait to get ahold of you.

Truthmatters would be an exceptional tutor. Send her a PM.

Hello,

If it were me, I would go to the Instructional office of the public schopols. I would ask for copies of 7th and 8th grade math books and self teach. You sound determined and I believe, likely to succeed. I would then ask the public schools about private tutoring services that they or the city proper may have. It would be important for you to estabish a rapport with a mentor who could support you and keep you focused.

I caution you to not to chew off more than you can handle at once. Start with the math and once that becomes easier for you, add the science and then the literature. Remember, math is about patterns that are repeated over and over.

Study in the content areas are much easier when you look at the layout of the books. If you were going to brush on science, notice that there are headings above each section. Don't begin reading the section until you've made up a question from the title of the section. For example, The simple title of "Saturn", could be turned into a question.."What makes Satrun different from the other planets? Then read to find out the answer. Giving yourself a purpose for reading increases your comprehension.

In school, I hated all sciences. The only thing that saved me was outlining the chapters and I came away with surprisingly good grades. I couldn't even follow the teacher in class I was so bored. But I found I was a visual learner and writing things down in order helped me immensely.

I wish you the best of luck. I think your persistence will pay off! Congratulations for reaching out.

Forum List

Back