Eerie silence after the Democratic Convention

cristal

Aug 29, 2008
It has only been two days after the Democratic Convention and if you listen to the news, it is almost like it never happened.

The news media has totally switched their attention from Obama to McCain and his VP pick.

Do you think that the Obama camp feels cheated by the McCain camp, because they did not get a chance to bask in the after-glow of "the speech"?

Last edited:
It has only been two days after the Democratic Convention and if you listen to the news, it is almost like it never happened.

The news media has totally switched their attention from Obama to McCain and his VP pick.

Do you think that the Obama camp feels cheated by the McCain camp, because they did not get a chance to bask in the after-glow of "the speech"?

The R convention starts next week when the conventions are this close together the bounce isn't so high. Now that they name the VP's before the conventions there is not the drought there used to be. I think The D's did fine. Even after Palin was named the polls show an Obama rise.

The R convention starts next week when the conventions are this close together the bounce isn't so high. Now that they name the VP's before the conventions there is not the drought there used to be. I think The D's did fine. Even after Palin was named the polls show an Obama rise.

Yes, he did receive a bounce of 4-5 points. But the Convention itself, just seems so yesteryear. Nobody is talking about it.

Obama received a nice bounce, nothing phenomenal, but a bounce. I think that this round of the fight definitely has to go to McCain. By picking an unknown, female candidate as his running mate he stunned the country and sucked the media away from what Obama's camp expected to be a weekend of good press.

Whether the "stunt" pays off is going to depend on whether Palin sinks or swims. If she holds her own in statements, public appearances, and most importantly - the VP debates, then McCain might gain voters because of Palin.
If she appears unready, nervous, unsure - then he will lose votes because of her.

Yes, he did receive a bounce of 4-5 points. But the Convention itself, just seems so yesteryear. Nobody is talking about it.

We live in the age of instant news. Years ago it would have taken days to have this much info about Palin so fast. Now it was out there in minutes. It is easy now to shift gears from one headline to the next. I see the bounce as positive because the conventions are close and the VP selection came on.

Do they feel cheated ????

Look at them screaming bloody murder !! You're damn right they feel cheated ! :lol::lol:

Do they feel cheated ????

Look at them screaming bloody murder !! You're damn right they feel cheated ! :lol::lol:

I was listening to a local radio station and the DJ, who had just returned from the Democratic Convention, kept mentioning, that he was not planning on being on the air that day, but did so, so that he could be a voice for the Obama camp. He also kept mentioning how, the McCain's camp is getting all of the attention and that they will not let people forget about "the speech" and the convention.

What I sensed was fear emanating from Obama's supporters, over McCain's pick. They viewed it, as a reactive decision and that is why they kept trumpeting Obama's "great speech" as a way of keeping it alive. They pretty much blamed the media and McCain's camp, for killing what was supposed to be the "after glow".

The McCain's camp took the Obama camp by surprise and left them reeling. He really blindsided them with his pick.

I say it was a great strategic move by the McCain camp.

Last edited:
I was listening to a local radio station and the DJ, who had just returned from the Democratic Convention, kept mentioning, that he was not planning on being on the air that day, but did so, so that he could be a voice for the Obama camp. He also kept mentioning how, the McCain's camp is getting all of the attention and that they will not let people forget about "the speech" and the convention.

What I sensed was fear emanting from Obama's supporters, over McCain's pick. They viewed it, as a reactive decision and that is why they kept trumpeting Obama's "great speech" as a way of keeping it alive. They pretty much blamed the media and McCain's camp, for killing what was supposed to be the "after glow".

The McCain's camp took the Obama camp by surprise and left them reeling. He really blindsided them with his pick.

I say it was a great strategic move by the McCain camp.

Palin is a novelty act. Had the tables been turned and Obama picked Jennifer Granholm as his running mate right after the RNC, the news would have had non-stop coverage for several days. The novelty WILL wear off and Obama-McCain will be the focus once again. A VP won't necessarily win you an election but it will help you lose one. If I were a Democrat, I'd certainly feel safer going into the VP debates with a proven guy like Biden than someone like Palin who's unproven in the national spotlight. That was not a great "strategic" pick, that was a great "now" pick. Strategy denotes long term and I'm not so sure you guys are getting a battle tested running mate, capable of looking Presidential.

Last edited:
Palin is a novelty act. Had the tables been turned and Obama picked Jennifer Granholm as his running mate right after the RNC, the news would have had non-stop coverage for several days. The novelty WILL wear off and Obama-McCain will be the focus once again. A VP won't necessarily win you an election but it will help you lose one. If I were a Democrat, I'd certainly feel safer going into the VP debates with a proven guy like Biden than someone like Palin who's unproven in the national spotlight. That was not a great "strategic" pick, that was a great "now" pick. Strategy denotes long term and I'm not so sure you guys are getting a battle tested running mate, capable of looking Presidential.

Did you say "unproven"? She is the the Gov. of Alaska. I would not exactly call that unproven.

I would reserve that however, for Senator Obama.

Palin shares a lot of characteristics with Obama in the experience department.

What legislation has Obama led through Congress in his first two years as Senator? There is all these talk about leadership about Obama. Yet i never hear of some kind of bill that has some kind of impact for Americans that Obama led through Congress.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Jon
Did you say "unproven"? She is the the Gov. of Alaska. I would not exactly call that unproven.

I would reserve that however, for Senator Obama.

Obama has held his own against John Edwards, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, and Hillary Clinton in numerous live debates and national talk shows. Obama has also engaged in an extensive smear fest with both McCain and Clinton and still leads in the polls. Obama IS battle tested on the national stage. What exactly do you have besides Governor of Alaska that you can point to that ensures Palin won't studder and look like a fool when debating Joe Biden, especially on matters of foreign policy or national security?

Obama has held his own against John Edwards, Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, and Hillary Clinton in numerous live debates and national talk shows. Obama has also engaged in an extensive smear fest with both McCain and Clinton and still leads in the polls. Obama IS battle tested on the national stage. What exactly do you have besides Governor of Alaska that you can point to that ensures Palin won't studder and look like a fool when debating Joe Biden, especially on matters of foreign policy or national security?

Why would you care if she did make a fool of herself against Biden? That solidifies an Obama win. I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.

And, I think Clinton and Biden decimated Obama in the debates. All Obama did was repeat back what his opponents said.

Palin shares a lot of characteristics with Obama in the experience department.

Palin is running for the position of VP and has a great teacher in John McCain.

In the United States, the custom is, that the Vice President listens to the President. So therefore the President must have a better fund of knowledge, than the VP and better equipped to handle domestic and foreign affairs issues.

I am not saying that in some cases that the VP should not advise the President on some issues. But in the end, the responsibility lies on the shoulder of the President.

Last edited:

Obama has ONLY been a US Senator for 3 years. He spent half of that time, looking for another job. So he has only really served half of his time as a Senator, with no major legislative record. He voted "present" at Senate hearings. How does that make him qualified to run the United States?

By the way, have you heard Palin speak? Have you seen her bio? Obama has less experience than anyone running for President including the VP's.

Do you trust a guy who is so glaringly unqualified to lead this country? I don't.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
Palin is running for position of VP and has a great teacher in John McCain.

In the United States, the custom is, that the Vice President listens to the President. So therefore the President must have a better fund of knowledge, than the VP and better equipped to handle domestic and foreign affairs issues.

I am not saying that in some cases that the VP should not advise the President on some issues. But in the end, the responsibility lies on the shoulder of the President.
If McCain were a Democrat and Palin his VP, all of you guys would be screaming about how her inexperience is relevant because of McCain's age and health problems. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. You guys are fooling yourselves that she's the best candidate available when you know deep down that she's unproven. In a couple of weeks, she'll stumble and all of you guys will jump off the McCain Conservative-Right-Now Bandwagon and knife him in the back because he didn't pick Romney or Ridge. :badgrin:

If McCain were a Democrat and Palin his VP, all of you guys would be screaming about how her inexperience is relevant because of McCain's age and health problems. Sorry, but I'm not buying it. You guys are fooling yourselves that she's the best candidate available when you know deep down that she's unproven. In a couple of weeks, she'll stumble and all of you guys will jump off the McCain Conservative-Right-Now Bandwagon and knife him in the back because he didn't pick Romney or Ridge. :badgrin:

McCain doesn't have the best of support of the conservatives.

Back in 2004, McCain was a media darling and there was support for him to run as VP with John Kerry. However, now the media darling has been passed to Obama.

All i hear is "four more years of Bush," but I do not see any evidence of Obama's so-called leadership in Washington. In the three years as a Senator, has he shaken things up in Washington. He said he "reached over the aisles." So since 2006, after Democrats taken control of Congress, what leadership has he brought in terms of passing major legislation.

I'm afraid that we may get four more years of more economic problems and hardship as a result of electing the less experienced man on the ticket.

Last edited:

I don't think she's the best candidate, but she's what we got. I'm pleased with it. She has few skeletons, which means she's less likely to ruin McCain's chances than any of other weathered candidates. I also think she has a bright future in politics. She's the Republicans' Barack Obama. Fresh face, new ideas, able to reach across the aisle to get votes. She'll stay in the limelight for a while.

Forum List

Back