Edwards proposes MANDATORY doctor visits, universal health care

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Little-Acorn, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    It's a basic truism that government only has the power to force you to do what you don't want to. For those who want to rob banks, govt has the power to force them not to, by throwing them in jail.

But those who want to expand government into formerly-private fields like health care, may soon find out that the truism applies to them, too... and just as unpleasantly. Why they keep pushing for government coercion applied to the field of health care remains a mystery, but government (at least the liberal side of it) is proving happy to supply that coercion.

John Edwards, one of the major players in the Democrat race to expand government into every nook and cranny of American life, is now proposing to force people to visit the doctor whether they wanted to or not. I'm not sure what penalties he proposes for those dare to not obey him - such details are probably left to the fine print somewhere. But if he or similarly liberal Democrats are elected in 2008, we'll probably find out, and soon.

There seems to be a strange tendency among these people, to make everything compulsory that isn't forbidden. What is the limit (if any) to how far they will go?

---------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070902/ap_on_el_pr/edwards_2

Edwards backs mandatory preventive care

Sept. 2, 2007

by AMY LORENTZEN, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 30 minutes ago

TIPTON, Iowa - Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards said on Sunday that his universal health care proposal would require that Americans go to the doctor for preventive care.

"It requires that everybody be covered. It requires that everybody get preventive care," he told a crowd sitting in lawn chairs in front of the Cedar County Courthouse. "If you are going to be in the system, you can't choose not to go to the doctor for 20 years. You have to go in and be checked and make sure that you are OK."

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Is this guy out of his mind? Forget the many worries I have about UHC, but making you go to the doctor? (and nobody better pretend he didin't say that).

It doesn't get anymore typically liberal then that and as close to someone actually saying what many libs are all about: That Americans are too stupid to take care of themselves. The all knowing libs know what is best for you. Thus the libs are going to legislate the choices you get to make where you're best interests are concerned.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,219
    Edwards just doesnt know when to shut up does he? Let's ignore freedom altogether.

4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I could entertain the idea of requiring minors to attend complusory doctors visits, and maybe even those on government welfare programs such as Medicaid, but I can't support a program that requires both mandatory payments and mandatory visits for all citizens.

5. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    "Edwards proposes MANDATORY doctor visits"

Oh, the horror!!!

LOL - this is funny...you're scrapping the bottom barrel, for manufactured faux-outrage here, dude. This is the least of our worries, and it actually makes economic sense. Requiring preventative healthcare would reduce everyone's insurance costs and premiums.

I've lived in states with mandatory safety inspections on cars, are heard nary a peep from NeoCons about any alleged outrage over that.

6. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well, an unsafe car on the road is a direct threat to itself, the owner, all occupants and everyone around it. Someone not seeking preventative healthcare is, at best, an indirect threat to a few immediate family members.

Though I must question whether a nice little bit of out-of-contextism is all that's occuring here.

7. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

People who don't get preventive medical care, and then get sick, cost the rest of us money - through increased premiums and healthcare costs.

I'm quite sure Edwards isn't talking about throwing anyone in jail if they don't get preventative healthcare. At worst, I have no problem jacking up the premiums for people who refuse to get preventative health care under a universal plan. If they don't want to take care of themselves, they can pay higher premiums than people who do take care of themselves.

8. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    We already do force medical care to some degree. All children MUST go to school and in order for a child to get into school, they must get their immunizations. If the state found a 5 year old child who had never been to the doctor for check ups, the normal illnesses and immunizations you can bet that there would be some investigation and possibly they might take the child and charge that parent or care-taker with neglect.

I also remember in school they had us submit to eye tests, hearing tests and scoliosis screening.

We already have elements of mandatory health care. Has the US exploded from it?

9. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    People like you simply don't get it. This is a big deal. When you eliminate the choices people are allowed to make or not make you have eliminated freedom. If you want freedom you have to take the good with the bad and that means allowing people to make their own choices even if they may be bad ones.

Apparently you believe exactley what I said libs believe, that you know whats best for the rest of us and if we don't make the right choices you're gonna pass legislation requiring us to make the right choices. There is no 'out of context' here Edwards said plain as day that huis program will require preventative care.

10. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Arent immunizations preventative care? Those are mandatory....does this mean the US has just been one large prison all these years?