Educational Bullshit?

Discussion in 'Education' started by DGS49, Feb 11, 2020.

1. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,180
    Oh, Gee, I just went on line and looked at one of Fluke's current top bench DMMs with a stated VDC accuracy of UP TO 0.0024%, then went back and looked at my actual WORST CASE deviation per the shown factory test certificate and my worst case deviation was 0.0034%!

And I just calculated the actual accuracy from my test certificate for the 290 ohm test load and as shown, its actual deviation was again (anyone can check the math) 0.0034% (290 ohms read as 290.01), NOT the manufacturer's stated minimum guaranteed accuracy of 0.07! :auiqs.jpg:

Son, you admitted you've never worked in any sort of actual R&D lab, somehow stupidly thought it referred to the Bureau of Standards (NIST), and are a washed up has been leftover from the Vietnam War Era. You should stick to your archaing misconceptions about what real life test equipment can do in real world situations and the next time you want to try to jump down someone's throat blindly feet first trying to laugh at proving them wrong, you ought to try to get a few facts straight first and get your head out of old user manuals and your ass.

What a piece of test equipment actually does and what the manufacturer GUARANTEES as minimum quality are often two different things, Junior! :dance:

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 1.34.11 PM.png

2. ThoughtCrimes

ThoughtCrimes Old Navy Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    There was no mistaking the Bureau of Standards...you must have misunderstood. Now about this R&D lab...what is your definition of an an R&D lab?

We might be talking past each other. Tell us all about the one you are in charge of, your source of funding, the main thrusts of your work, and I'm really interested in any patents you or your staff may have gotten or are pending.et al. Any outfit that has conquered the challenge of CMOS lock-up must be sitting on top of the mountain! By the way, what substrate was used to start out on with that new process and how big is your fab?

3. toobfreak

toobfreak Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,180

I misunderstand nothing. I can only read what is written to me. You said that a Lab was in your mind only the Bureau of Standards (NIST). Pure stupid.

An electronics laboratory is nothing more than any business, governmental or commercial lab where engineers and technicians work doing research, testing and/or product development. Labs I've worked in the past I can talk other than time spent at Bell Labs in NJ studying switching technology were mainly concerned with developing and bringing to market global telecom products in accordance with other companies like Lucent for various systems like SLC 5, 96 and 2000 channel banks and various other things relating to optical carriers, various switching systems from AT&T/Lucent, Nortel and Siemens, etc.

Curiously, I was again looking at the current market up to even a $5000 - $7000 Fluke Hydra DMMs and it was still rated no better than 0.0024% accurate max, meaning once again that if even that gear were to measure a 29 VDC source, its maximum deviation would be 28.999 volts! The same response my lowly 867 GMM gave when tested. I even tested the meter on a dead short yesterday and got it down to a fraction ohm lead resistance, zeroed that out, then repeatedly broke the connection and reconnected it, and instead of the book-specified 0.07% max deviation, never got a reading deviating any more than 0.01, the limit of the display, an order 20X better than the limits set by the manufacturer, and as anyone knows who understands counters, it's quite normal for them to float one decimal at the least significant digit due to unavoidable quantization rounding errors.

Not bad for a 24 year old handheld meter which once saved the Olympics from missing world broadcast! :D I think I'll keep it.

P2120541.JPG

P2120540.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1