Education

Pretty good rendition of the modern universities' current fondness for indoctrination through fear by holding course grades hostage to acceptance of social justice nonsense.

Why does the alt-right / conservative / republican / dislike public education? No profit? Open curriculum? Supported by American constitutional government? Makes everyone equal in knowledge? Less control? Less brain washing? It is certainly puzzling. There are aspects of this control that makes sense: corporations who want to pollute want science out of the classroom, religious ideologues dislike evolution, conservatives dislike equality, all these groups want control of the mind of the students, an open and free education is a danger to them. Free market fanatics think there is some magical force that makes markets educators. Bizarre but prevalent among the right in America.

'What Happens When an Ayn Rand Devotee Runs a Public School System? Just Ask Chicago.'

"Chicago Public Schools CEO Forrest Claypool has spent his career putting free-market ideology over the needs of workers, teachers and students."

'The reality is that privatization usually doesn’t increase efficiency, but it does increase inequality—both economic and political.'

http://inthesetimes.com/article/19557/chicagos-fountainhead-public-schools-teachers-ayn-rand

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/14/u...ls-are-even-more-unequal-than-we-thought.html

Rich schools v poor: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...uccess-how-your-school-district-compares.html

It's not really that we're "against" education, that's fake news. Its just that we're business folks and we look at cost vs worth and long term benefits. Only 27% of jobs in the US require a college degree, which means that we don't /need/ everyone to have a degree. Further in, the vast majority of kids coming out of college do not even have basic knowledge of business, they're basically not ready to be in an office, not ready to join the work force. So a lot in business see college as a waste for a hefty percentage of the kids coming out of them - why pay $30 grand for a degree only to work at Taco Bell? In addition some 40% of college students drop out because they find a job they can live with or can't hack it or just get bored of it.

This is exasperated by the lefts call for free college. It's a waste of money for the majority of the kids (yes having a degree historically pays more, however that doesn't apply if the kid isn't willing to chase the job down - move away from friends and family etc to where the position in that field is open, etc.) It's like a carpenter can make $60k in Alaska, a plumber $70k. These jobs only require a 2yr degree and it's not like we're not paying good money for the skills we need up here... People just don't come get the money. We pay teachers on average $110k, always short teachers. Policemen make $80k and we're always short. No college kids come and fill the need. There is money and good paying jobs [college required and not] available all over the country but folks are not willing to go out and get them.

They stick around home or wherever their friends move to and end up taking a lower paying job. This is true regardless of education levels (HS drop out, HS grad, college drop out, degree, or otherwise) because it takes 'ambition' to move upward - it's part of why CEO's make so much, why the income inequality gap keeps growing, because quite frankly kids in the public education system are /not/ being taught the skills to help them actually succeed in their adult lives. You could boil it down to whatever partisan talking points you want, but the bottom line, for whatever reason, is that both K-12 and College's are playing by different, more sheltered, rule sets than exist the real world. When we removed the "dealing with it" and "adult responsibility" and "lower expectations" as well as other other key skills from the college experience it basically puts them at the same emotional maturity level as HS students. It devalues the college degree. Right now college degrees are at a tipping point, between rising costs and declining "skill teaching" it's become less "worth it" to buy a degree, and especially to go into debt for it.

Historically only 24ish% of jobs in the US need a degree, that's only around 33M jobs and they're not available everywhere.

I've just recently been accused of wishing ill on kids for advising them to think about the cost vs benefit I note above. However, I'm a product of exactly this thinking. When I quit HS and got my GED to go to college I wanted to be an architect, I wanted to build buildings (actually why I followed Trump so much in the 80s/90s because I love architecture.) Anyway, Father ran me out to look for an architecture job in town. I recall I was so excited, but we looked at the state hiring database (back then there was no internet shush), we looked in the paper, we even called on his pals in the military and we couldn't find a single Architecture job in the entire /state/. Father said, guess you'll have to move out of state and I recall narrowing my eyes on him - he'd tricked me again... I had zero desire to leave Alaska and he knew it (in fact, I'm only just now starting to think about it for retirement) It would have been a waste of money for me to get an architecture degree when I had no plans to leave the state I love. Ultimately I decided to get a 2yr AS in computerized bookkeeping. Yet, I ultimately ended up being an executive. (Perfect for me really, I got to stay in Alaska as well as travel a bit heh) If my Father had just gone along with me getting that Architecture degree, it would have been a waste, I probably wouldn't have gotten my first job as a manager, I probably wouldn't have ended up on the corporate ladder. Instead I'd have been fruitlessly searching Alaska for an architecture position that even if it opened up someone with more experience would probably get, working at whatever menial job, paying off an expensive student loan for a degree I'd probably never use.

So it's not that I'm against education, I'm just for wiser decision making. I mean if you're a kid who is dead set on being a chemist and you're willing to move to wherever they need chemists in the nation - then by all means get that degree - it's probably worth it for you. But if you're like I was, dreamy eyed believing my HS teachers that I could build beautiful buildings in Alaska, then maybe think about it a bit before you bury yourself in debt. Think about how long it takes to pay off a student loan and how much the payments will be every month. Look at the kind of job you're going to be working in the meantime and balance your budget (- something I seriously wish they taught in HS) so you have a good idea what you're getting into - and how feasible its going to be to pay off your degree, especially if you're not willing to leave your friends/family to chase down a job in your degree field.

Do not expect everyone else to pay your bills, and especially when /you/ haven't even put much thought into it yourself. Free college, is when businesses give out grants because they want to hire someone. It's colleges giving out grants to attract talented students. It's not hard working tax payers funding your flippant life choices and fantasies. Time to grow up.

Forum List

Back