Education in our country is simply unacceptable

Bullshit. I pay a teachers to teach my kids and since I have to I lay the blame at the feet of the incompetent assholes stealing my tax money. It annoys me to all hell when people deflect blame from those paid to do a job to those paying. You wouldn't do that to the person mowing your lawn why do you for a teacher?

No, I think most of the blame does lie with parents. Other countries which are out performing us, parents will go to any and all lengths necessary to make sure their kids get a good education. In America we stop caring as soon as they're old enough to take care of themselves. It's nothing but daycare to us.

I'm not absolving teacher unions, which allow shitty teachers to keep their jobs. But even the best teacher can't teach a child who doesn't want to learn.

So A parent teaches their kids then what do we need to pay teachers for now? If I have and I do go out an buy books and teach my kids cause they are not learning it in school why am I paying for schools? My car breaks down I pay a mechanic to fix it I dont fix it my self and still pay the mechanic do I? Now while I am at it where do I find the extra 7 hours to do the teachers job for them?????? Unions are the problem but so is the fact we have to many sub par teachers ALSO the fact that the higher education they went to doesn't teach them anything they can use. Parents like me do everything we can but dammit we pay teachers to do what I AM NOW FORCED TO DO! time to call a spade a spade. Teachers are no more noble then any other profession... Shit maybe less the most since they dont work all year and it is damn hard to fire one.

The whole system is broken.

You are the biggest problem in the system, fool.

You mean it would take you 7 hours a day to find out what your childrens assignements are? What the subjects they are studying in school are? Ever bother to take your children to museums or science exhibits? Art gallerys? Stage or music events?

I was very much involved in my childrens education. And I constantly heard people like you whining about the fact that the teachers were not teaching their children. The problem was not and still is not the teachers. It is the example the parents set at home with their attitude concerning the worth of education, and, as well, the worth of the own children. After all, if they are not worth their parents time preparing for life, what does that tell the children about what they are to think of their own worth?

I am of the opinion that the more intelligent your society is, the more prosperous your society will be. There is a direct correlation between a person's education and their income level. And I think it could be argued the same correlation exists on a national level.

I do believe in our education system and I think we have a good basic system in place for our children. What bothers me though is how much of our emphasis has shifted from education to less important things. And the scariest thing is how much higher education is being pushed away from young people due to rising costs.

American at one time was the best educated country in the world. When the government needed engineers for it's various programs in the golden age of the post-war boom, a significant percentage of the kids at the time were ushered into various government sponsored programs and eventually university degrees and very meaningful lives. There was also a time when it was possible to pay for a college education and an apartment on a part-time job.

However now the average college student has to amass several years worth of debt to pay for a college education thereby basically making them an indentured servant for the early part of their adulthood. Also the average cost of tuition for a four year jumped 15% from 2010 to 2012 and steadily climbs every year.

I can write a bunch more on this subject but I think you get my point. This government and this country really needs to re-focus it's energy on education and I'd even go as far to say we should consider subsidizing higher education on a more profound level.

But a person's education level is not necessarily a measure of their intelligence especially since the social promotion, grading on a curve and the everybody gets a trophy philosophy has been so warmly embraced.

Last edited:
What the fuck does any of that have to do with teaching kids how to read, write and think for themselves?

What does our current educational system have to do with getting people to think for themselves? That's the problem. Our system has this built in drive to get people to not think but believe whatever they are told.

Only 7% of Detroit Public-School 8th Graders Proficient in Reading

By Terence P. Jeffrey, December 11, 2012 @ Only 7% of Detroit Public-School 8th Graders Proficient in Reading | CNS News

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/fi...ETROIT-OBAMA-AP PHOTO REDFORD MICH-CROP-2.jpg
Crowd cheers President Obama at Daimler Detroit Diesel plant in Redford, Mich., Dec. 10, 2012 (AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - In the public schools in Detroit, Mich., according to the U.S. Department of Education, only 7 percent of the eighth graders are grade-level proficient or better in reading.

But the unionized teachers can leave the classroom for their selfish needs and let the kids suffer. Still want unionized teachers?

No, I think most of the blame does lie with parents. Other countries which are out performing us, parents will go to any and all lengths necessary to make sure their kids get a good education. In America we stop caring as soon as they're old enough to take care of themselves. It's nothing but daycare to us.

I'm not absolving teacher unions, which allow shitty teachers to keep their jobs. But even the best teacher can't teach a child who doesn't want to learn.

So A parent teaches their kids then what do we need to pay teachers for now? If I have and I do go out an buy books and teach my kids cause they are not learning it in school why am I paying for schools? My car breaks down I pay a mechanic to fix it I dont fix it my self and still pay the mechanic do I? Now while I am at it where do I find the extra 7 hours to do the teachers job for them?????? Unions are the problem but so is the fact we have to many sub par teachers ALSO the fact that the higher education they went to doesn't teach them anything they can use. Parents like me do everything we can but dammit we pay teachers to do what I AM NOW FORCED TO DO! time to call a spade a spade. Teachers are no more noble then any other profession... Shit maybe less the most since they dont work all year and it is damn hard to fire one.

You missed my point. I didn't say that parents need to teach kids themselves, I said that parents need to do whatever is necessary to make sure their kids get a good education. That means being actively involved, making sure they do their homework, helping them if they need it, and most of all dragging their asses to school. The first thing that pops into my head when hear about a high school drop out is "Where the fuck are the parents"?

I got so involved in my kids education, I pulled him out of school after forth grade and homeschooled him for several years. He wishes I'd never put him back, he thinks he would have learned more.

we can only do so much. I do not ask teachers to be a second parent and teach then sex or morals. I just need them to teach them reading, math, science, history, civics and English. I dont think I am asking much. If my kids are being difficult I have NO PROBLEM dealing with that.

The problem is that now, all teachers are allowed to do is "teach for the test". No more art, music, social studies or innovative teaching methods allowed. The only thing they get graded on are those goddammed standardized tests that measure nothing but "cram for the test" skills. And not all teachers are in unions, moron.

That is the teachers fault. No one forces them to teach for a test. If they would just do their job the test wont matter.

You are the biggest problem in the system, fool.

You mean it would take you 7 hours a day to find out what your childrens assignements are? What the subjects they are studying in school are? Ever bother to take your children to museums or science exhibits? Art gallerys? Stage or music events?

I was very much involved in my childrens education. And I constantly heard people like you whining about the fact that the teachers were not teaching their children. The problem was not and still is not the teachers. It is the example the parents set at home with their attitude concerning the worth of education, and, as well, the worth of the own children. After all, if they are not worth their parents time preparing for life, what does that tell the children about what they are to think of their own worth?
You are proof public schools are failing.

It's a tragedy. The TEACHERS UNIONS will not allow any meaningful changes to Public School Education. They have a gravy train to protect! Introduce market forces into the Public Education monopoly and things would improve rapidly..... vouchers anyone?

:lol:

Voucher programs and lotto programs failed, he'll even the people who thought up charter schools says it's a big fail. Also catholic school are closing faster than flies to shit.

Really? Jason Riley: The Evidence Is In—School Vouchers Work - WSJ.com

* May 3, 2011

The Evidence Is In: School Vouchers Work
A study published last year found that D.C. voucher recipients had graduation rates of 91%. That's significantly higher than the public school average of 56%.

By JASON L. RILEY

'Private school vouchers are not an effective way to improve student achievement," said the White House in a statement on March 29. "The Administration strongly opposes expanding the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program and opening it to new students." But less than three weeks later, President Obama signed a budget deal with Republicans that includes a renewal and expansion of the popular D.C. program, which finances tuition vouchers for low-income kids to attend private schools.

School reformers cheered the administration's about-face though fully aware that it was motivated by political expediency rather than any acknowledgment that vouchers work.

Vouchers haven't failed, politicians putting control over children fail.

Lotteries? Not sure if you are referring to states that fail to spend the lottery sales on schools or lotteries for parent choice of schools within a district.

Charter schools have mostly been positive, there have been exceptions.

Forum List

Back