Education and Religion

techhead

Rookie
Sep 29, 2004
Being raised in the bible belt and studying the American way of life for over 40 years It appears to me education has a direct bearing on the power religion has in one's life.

Since the US has different social levels each connected to education one can determine the level religion has on any one individual.

The lower level uses religion as a way to cope with life.

Mid level uses religion as a social involvement and a way to cope with life.

If used by the upper levels of our society then it is used as a social and economic ladder.
Any thoughts

techhead said:
Being raised in the bible belt and studying the American way of life for over 40 years It appears to me education has a direct bearing on the power religion has in one's life.

Since the US has different social levels each connected to education one can determine the level religion has on any one individual.

If used by the upper levels of our society then it is used as a social and economic ladder.
Any thoughts

So you're saying that religion is only for stupid people? :rolleyes:

Funny, they did a study with Church members at my Church and the smarter and higher the education, the more faithful they were.

techhead said:

Any thoughts

I'd have to agree with that...for the most part, anyway.

I am not quite sure the phrase "using", is appropriate, or correct for that matter. I have been in all three social and financial situations, and I have yet to use religion for anything. I follow, not use my faith, and the same can be said for the many people I have met over the years. Yes, of course some will use it for their own purposes, but that has no long term rewards.

I will also agree with Avatar, the people I know with the most education, happen also to be the most devout.

Isn't there a possibility that religion is used as a crutch by some people in this country as it is used by some religions as a hold over the poorer people of a country.

Our society has developed from a religion based government in principle to one of freedom of religion or freedom from religion.

Of course there is a probability, even a certainty, of that. I just think blanket statements don't apply here.

eric said:
Of course there is a probability, even a certainty, of that. I just think blanket statements don't apply here.
Blanket statements don't apply?
Sure they do Eric...think...Congregation, Baptist, Methodist, Catholic..etc...

Sure there are individuals in there....somewhere...

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say. How does that relate to techheads statements ?

eric said:
I am not quite sure what you are trying to say. How does that relate to techheads statements ?

Tech said...
Isn't there a possibility that religion is used as a crutch by some people in this country as it is used by some religions as a hold over the poorer people of a country.
You said...
That's what I was addressing...

techhead said:

Our society has developed from a religion based government in principle to one of freedom of religion or freedom from religion.

Id rather use religion as a crush than to be crawling around on the ground in the dark.

I hold a masters degree. I am upper middle class, according to the Govt and live in the the New Orleans area... So, according to techhead, I in no way can be devout?

This makes no sense to me, given that my true feelings are that if I had not lived my life devoted to my faith I would not have the blessings that I have now.

:confused:

Would it be possible to live the same life without faith or religion.
techhead

MissSthrnBelle said:
I hold a masters degree. I am upper middle class, according to the Govt and live in the the New Orleans area... So, according to techhead, I in no way can be devout?

This makes no sense to me, given that my true feelings are that if I had not lived my life devoted to my faith I would not have the blessings that I have now.

:confused:

Welcome Miss Southern Belle! :thup:

I totally agree... techhead, your sweeping generalizations about intellegence and religious devotion are ridiculous.

Since my generalizations have been quoted as being rediculous then the answer to the question is answered. I have yet to meet a christian who has the ability to look at the other side of the coin and make an intelligent comment as to the chance or possibility the christian just might be wrong. As far as sweeping generalizations go, it really isn't that complicated but as man kind advances so does his ability to over word, overthink and over dramatize life.

Forum List

Back