Educate the LayPeople

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Regarding the Fireman's test in Conn. What was it about the test that made it disparate??

I sure it must have involved.. firefighting and rescue procedures,, and policy.. and possibly some management questions. So what was it about this test that was illegal.. as in a black man could not pass it but a white man could.. I don't get it..

Ricci v. Destefano.

Regarding the Fireman's test in Conn. What was it about the test that made it disparate??

I sure it must have involved.. firefighting and rescue procedures,, and policy.. and possibly some management questions. So what was it about this test that was illegal.. as in a black man could not pass it but a white man could.. I don't get it..

Ricci v. Destefano.

Don't know. Care to explain to us why no blacks and only 2 of 50 minorities passed it?

Title VII makes results like that illegal. Do you think Sotomayer should have followed what the law said, or no?

Ricci v. Destefano.

Don't know. Care to explain to us why no blacks and only 2 of 50 minorities passed it?

Title VII makes results like that illegal. Do you think Sotomayer should have followed what the law said, or no?

I cannot answer the question until I know why they ruled the test illegal.. Right now it looks like the people who passed it prepared for it.. what I am asking is what was it about the test that made it impossible for blacks to prepare and to pass it???? what is Title VII?

Ricci v. Destefano.

Results do not make a test illegal.. Results that would be as a result of typecasting by race on purpose would be illegal... results based on actual performance or knowledge needed to perform the job, irregardless if only X amount of whatever race, would be just fine

seems to me the things that would make a test illegal would be a "different or difficult language" I think this one was in English but a Hispanic passed it.. Every one on the firefighting team should be able to answer questions related to policy and procedure.. and probably questions related to law and ethics.. so what was it that made this particular test illegal.. other than the fact that the black firemen did not put forth to effort to prepare for and pass the test.

Ricci v. Destefano.

In case you hadn't noticed, the reason that this case is up for appeal is the need to clarify exactly what VII means. It is my personal opinion that Title VII has been poorly interpreted. Unless someone can prove that the test itself had a racial bias that made it difficult for minorities to pass it, and the test is deemed to be on topics that you would expect a qualified firefighter to know, then those that studied and passed the test should receive their promotions.

Ricci v. Destefano.

Results do not make a test illegal.. Results that would be as a result of typecasting by race on purpose would be illegal... results based on actual performance or knowledge needed to perform the job, irregardless if only X amount of whatever race, would be just fine

Actually results do make a test illegal. This is because there is a presumption that blacks aren't systematically more stupid/less qualified than whites. Do you have some issue with this presumption?

seems to me the things that would make a test illegal would be a "different or difficult language" I think this one was in English but a Hispanic passed it.. Every one on the firefighting team should be able to answer questions related to policy and procedure.. and probably questions related to law and ethics.. so what was it that made this particular test illegal.. other than the fact that the black firemen did not put forth to effort to prepare for and pass the test.

You know that for a fact? Care to provide any evidence for that fact?

If you read this link you might have a clue.

Supreme Court Hears Firefighter Promotion Case : NPR

On the one hand you seem to be against forcing employers to hire certain groups yet here you are seemingly wanting to force the employer's hand. :confused:

okay, I'm reading and it says

After five days of hearings, the board decided the exam was flawed.

that's what I'm trying to find out.. How was the exam flawed???

Actually results do make a test illegal. This is because there is a presumption that blacks aren't systematically more stupid/less qualified than whites. Do you have some issue with this presumption?

the make up of the test may make it illegal, the results can't.

Ricci v. Destefano.

There is more at issue than just the test. Part of what is at issue is the city's response to the outcome of the test. This is going to be more important than the actual test in the final outcome of the case.

On the one hand you seem to be against forcing employers to hire certain groups yet here you are seemingly wanting to force the employer's hand. :confused:

Keep reading. You'll figure it out.

Keep reading. You'll figure it out.

other than the part that some people aren't good at taking tests! what else???

The results can be enough to prove that the make up was illegal.

The results can be enough to prove that the make up was illegal.

good luck with that. :lol:

Ricci v. Destefano.

There is more at issue than just the test. Part of what is at issue is the city's response to the outcome of the test. This is going to be more important than the actual test in the final outcome of the case.

Yeah, but its unclear what else the city could have done. They were in a bit of a bind there.

Maybe on the average, blacks are not as smart as whites?

Forum List

Back