EDA: Proof Republicans want to ruin the economy to get Obama

I dont think you have to worry about Republicans killing the economy. Obama has done that fine on his own.

Be fair. He had plenty of help. It's probably the best example of a bipartisan clusterfuck this country has ever seen.

I would never deny that this mess is a bipartisan effort. I was focused on Obama mostly to be contrary to rdean.

Obama: I created 2.1 Million new jobs (laughter)
Question is? For whom? Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.

To date? Obama has discourcaged MUCH in the private sector. Someone needs to teach Deany the facts of life so he will cease being a partisan HACK...and comic relief...to our detriment.

Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.
Oh, I don't know about that.
Where would Fox be without him?
*JACKASS* FOX isn't part of the story. YOU continue to deflect and try to look smart, will you?

BTW The Democrats control the Senate. If something doesn't pass the Senate, it's because of the Democrats.

Question is? For whom? Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.

To date? Obama has discourcaged MUCH in the private sector. Someone needs to teach Deany the facts of life so he will cease being a partisan HACK...and comic relief...to our detriment.

Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.

Considering Fox was the number one News channel before President Obama was even introduced to the public at large at the 2004 Democrat Convention, I would presume they would be exactly the same place they are today. Number 1.

RDean:

As for Jerry Brown and his targeting of redevelopment agencies -- there IS INDEED a link to EDA funding. In fact EDA supporters brag about each job only costing the EDA about $3K to $6K each. But what Jerry knows that most EDA supporters don't is that the State/Locals are picking up 2 to 3 times that amount for each of the jobs created. How sustainable is that with the shape of state economies???

The EDA sits within the Commerce Dept. With the exception of Weights and Measures --- 90% of Commerce is corporate welfare. That should tell you a little about the orientation of EDA.

And if you need specifics... Take a look at ::

UNLV Research Park

A 2009 study of the EDA [Economic Development Administration] by the...Cato Institute collected numerous government oversight reports and documented widespread abuse of taxpayer dollars. The study noted that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is familiar with the EDA process. In 2008, he hand- delivered a $2 million EDA check to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) Research Foundation to begin construction of the "UNLV Harry Reid Research and Technology Park."

That was just a downpayment. Read that website for ADDITIONAL EDA money that UNLV expects for Phase II and III. Economic disadvantaged my ass. If you LOVED the STIMULUS --- Then EDA is the perpetual STIMULUS that keeps on giving.. Good times or bad...

Last edited:

Republicans created more than that -------------> in China.

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

"US" Chamber of Commerce hosts seminars with Chinese gov officials to teach American firms how to outsource

Republicans, while blaming Obama for job losses, continue to block any legislation in Congress designed to create jobs or stop the corporate outsourcing and tax shelters. Republicans continue to benefit from the SCOTUS decision that allows unlimited anonymous corporate funding and has allowed them to partner with these, the big corporations in the world - and in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce to literally buy the 2010 elections.

No really, the sky IS falling!

Considering Fox was the number one News channel before President Obama was even introduced to the public at large at the 2004 Democrat Convention, I would presume they would be exactly the same place they are today. Number 1.

Well yea. Fox is watched by the single largest group in America. The Republican Party - 90% white. When you get a group that big that are all the same, it's easy.

Democrat watch Hispanic news, the gay channel, the Asian channel, BET and so one.

Ahh the partisan sheeple on both sides continue to be used against their own best interests and seem proud of it too.

Oh REALLY RDean?? Just Republicans eh??

These grants from the EDA go to state/local "enterprise zones" that have been a crony cesspool of graft and corruption for years now. IN FACT -- Jerry Brown (one of the only leftists on my "hero" list) agrees with the Republicans then...

With his [[jerry brown]] plan to ax the state’s system of “enterprise zones” and related tax credits, Brown wants to do away with a program whose history of failure can be charitably blamed on bad luck or miscarried good intentions. But by trying to kill the state’s 425 redevelopment agencies (RDAs), the governor is taking on—and robustly criticizing—a gang of thugs whose activities closely resemble those of a criminal enterprise.

Brown has plenty of reason to cut both entities. The state faces a $25 billion deficit during the next two years, and both programs are enormous money losers. By eliminating enterprise zone tax breaks (which include hiring credits, interest deductions, special treatment for sales taxes paid, and a credit for employees who earn wages within a given area), the governor expects to make an additional $343 million available in the 2010–11 budget and $581 million in 2011–12.

The $6 Billion Scam - Reason Magazine

I love it when someone posts to a story that says things like:

The budget summary cites a 2005 legislative analyst’s finding (and which analyst was that?)

So I continue reading and they reference the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research. So I go to that site and I come across this:

http://www.upjohn.org/sites/default/files/releases/bartik_hamilton_10-13-10_0.pdf

1. Customized training: The federal government would help support state customized training programs that would work with small and medium-sized
businesses in distressed areas to provide job training for both incumbent workers and new hires.

2. Expanding the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) program: The current MEP, supported by a combination of federal and state funds and private
fees, would be expanded, with half of this expansion targeted at distressed areas, in order to provide small and medium-sized manufacturers with
high-quality advice and training to improve their competitiveness.

3. Empowerment Zones: The current Empowerment Zone program would be returned to its original design, under which business tax breaks for employment residents of designated Zones would be combined with public service block grants that would improve the economic climate in the Zones.
The strategies, if adopted, would provide training to 1.5 million workers every year, provide an additional

-------------------------------------------

Like I said, even Republicans say what a good program it is. Now because California may have abused the program, and I say, "MAY HAVE" because I couldn't find any reference to EDA in your article, you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now, what plans to Republicans have? Beside cut taxes for rich people?
These programs represented an opportunity for the federal government to grab a stake in the private sector. Whenever government gets involved in the affairs of the private sector( when a politician says "I can help you") it invariably turns out bad.
Today, how are these enterprise zones doing?

Republicans created more than that -------------> in China.

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

"US" Chamber of Commerce hosts seminars with Chinese gov officials to teach American firms how to outsource

Republicans, while blaming Obama for job losses, continue to block any legislation in Congress designed to create jobs or stop the corporate outsourcing and tax shelters. Republicans continue to benefit from the SCOTUS decision that allows unlimited anonymous corporate funding and has allowed them to partner with these, the big corporations in the world - and in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce to literally buy the 2010 elections.

No really, the sky IS falling!
Then why is the Left claiming the Obama policies have created 2.4 million jobs?
Umm, the GOP controlled house cannot get anything done without the approval of the democrat controlled Senate.

I don’t know about ‘proof’ but there are many on the right who would like to see the economy fail, fellow Americans suffer, all for partisan gain.

And yes, the left is just as guilty for wishing the same when a republican is president.

It’s indicative of the sickness and depravity of partisan extremism displayed in this very forum and across the nation daily.

I challenge you to name people who want the economy to fail.

*JACKASS* FOX isn't part of the story. YOU continue to deflect and try to look smart, will you?

Jeez buddy, chill out.
It's only a fake news station after all.

I don’t know about ‘proof’ but there are many on the right who would like to see the economy fail, fellow Americans suffer, all for partisan gain.

And yes, the left is just as guilty for wishing the same when a republican is president.

It’s indicative of the sickness and depravity of partisan extremism displayed in this very forum and across the nation daily.

Barrack Obama!

Or at least that is the impression I get for his insistence on these Failed Polices which have done nothing but Dig the hole bigger.

The Extreme Far left has always wanted our Economy to fail, they know it is only from the ashes of American Capitalism that their Marxist Dream take root.

Actually Q.Windbag: Does it count if I wanna give the leftists their Bush Tax Cuts back just to teach them a lesson and shut them up?? :razz: That would make me devilishly hoping the economy would fail then -- wouldn't it?

What's left to kill? Bush beat it half to death and Obama pulled a freakin headshot... Funny story is if Obama took a step back and did nothing I'd bet in a few months shit gets better.

I completely agree that the economic problems has been a bipartisan problem. However, I don't think we have seen the worst of it yet. Wait till the food shortages hit the USA like they have been hitting other parts of the world. Wait till the inflation gets really bad.

No, we are still at the beginning of this. We can afford further problems if we make the hard choice and fix things now, but i dont think enough people will.

It's very possible.

Obama can run off "A happy meal in every mail box!"

Obama, Feeding America.

What's left to kill? Bush beat it half to death and Obama pulled a freakin headshot... Funny story is if Obama took a step back and did nothing I'd bet in a few months shit gets better.

This really is a misconception based on the idea that businesses will begin hiring more workers if government just gets out of the way. The problem with this is that business owners and corporations realize that nobody has any money to spend, therefore there is no point in hiring people to increase production as more production will only lead to excess inventory causing many businesses to fail. All companies can do right now is ride this out. Until people begin saving some money so that they can start spending again, nothing is going to change. Cutting taxes more is not the answer either, as we can't afford to cut taxes more.

Everyone thinks there is a simple answer and there is not.

PoliticalKilling the Economic Development Administration

Congress isn’t likely to do much to create jobs anytime soon, so when opportunities arise, ideally lawmakers would take advantage of them. Yesterday in the Senate, for example, members were asked to reauthorize the Economic Development Administration, a successful program that provides federal grants to local projects.

There was at least some hope that Republicans could support this. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), for example, said yesterday of the EDA, “I have seen firsthand that it has led to the creation of jobs in my home state and has been a catalyst for private sector investment.”

Sounds good, right? Wrong. Collins, a few hours later, voted to kill the Economic Development Administration

The result is the apparent end of a program that even the most far-right members have embraced in the recent. Hell, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), arguably the Senate’s most right-wing member, held a workshop last year to help South Carolina businesses and organizations take advantage of EDA opportunities. Yesterday, DeMint led the fight to kill the EDA.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said last month that funds from an EDA grant “would pave the way for the creation of new jobs and business opportunities, which will strengthen the region’s economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said just two weeks ago that an EDA grant would bring “a much needed boost to the local economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) has called EDA projects “key to our region’s future economic development.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) recently boasted, “I have long been a supporter of EDA programs.” He voted to kill the program, too.

----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Demint's website touting the EDA. HIS OWN WEBSITE:

Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities - Press Releases - News Room - United States Senator Jim DeMint

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010
Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities
The office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce will provide a workshop Thursday, June 17, 2010 for the Myrtle Beach and Pee Dee areas to highlight competitive funding opportunities available to community businesses and organizations.

The Economic Development Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and Grants.Gov are the presenting agencies that will participate in the workshop.

WHO:

Staff from the office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint

Representatives from the Economic Development Administration

WHEN:

2:00 PM – 4:00 PM

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

2006 N. Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

--------------------------------------------------------------

Another 'Jobs bill' sinks after Senate vote

A bill to fund the Economic Development Administration (EDA), a measure Democrats characterized as a “jobs bill,” was stopped from advancing in the Senate Tuesday in a 49-51 vote.

Another 'Jobs bill' sinks after Senate vote - The Hill's Floor Action

-----------------------------------------------------------

Watch right wingers blame it on Democrats because "FOUR" voted with Republicans who blocked this 100%. It wouldn't matter anyway because you need 60 votes.

Can you imagine that many Republicans voting to help the American Middle Class? I couldn't. Seriously, how many years has it been since Republicans did anything to help people that weren't millionaires?

What IS it you people on the left just cannot GRASP? This is not "job creation"! Are you fucking nuts? The salaries paid to REAL jobs don't come out of the taxpayers' pockets but from PRIVATE INVESTMENT. This is putting people on the DOLE -not "job creation"!

Government cannot create JOBS. It can only create conditions conducive for job creation by the REAL job creators. Or it can create conditions that kill it. Or it can put people on the dole increasing the burden on taxpayers who support not only themselves but everyone who gets their paycheck from government in some way. When government takes able-bodied people out of the private sector and gives them a "job", that is actually INCREASING the damage to our economy and increasing the burden of all taxpayers. The more people employed in the private sector, the better for everyone -the more "employed" by government in some way, the more harm it does to our economy. This is just a re-tread of FDR policies flying under a new name but will still produce the same results. NOTHING. This isn't going to benefit our economy and it will arguably harm it even more!

Politicians, both Democrat and Republican, who supported this kind of program in the past saw it as a POLITICAL TOOL -something they could tell their constituents how about they brought home the bacon to their own state with it. But in reality these programs just remove money from one part of the country and put in another area and is NOT "job creation" for anyone. It is pulling the wool over people's eyes, particularly those begging to be deceived by such sleight of hand tactics. But this is now a new era -and bringing home the bacon is not highly valued at the moment by voters though, the majority of whom now see and understand the impending crisis that is looming ever larger. And properly scared shitless about it.

YOU just prove it doesn't matter what ends up being cut in the budget -someone is always going to squeal about it and then insist their own pet project is "vital" (when in fact very little of what government really does is "vital" -to know what is actually vital services go read the Constitution because it lays it out pretty well) and DEMAND they go cut something else instead. Everyone thinks they can make a good case for their own pet project too, don't they? LOL We are coming up fast on financial DISASTER. Seriously -just because politicians started tossing the word "billion" and "trillion" out there in the last few years on a regular basis now as if its chump change, did you know man cannot comprehend what a trillion is? These are words that should actually scare the shit out of voters because we are talking about INCOMPREHENSIBLE LEVELS OF DEBT. If the budget isn't DRASTICALLY cut, in less than 8 years the US will owe more money than all the world's currency combined -becoming the world's largest debtor nation. It may already be too late to prevent that from happening. Think that is a good thing when the US USED to be the world's biggest CREDITOR nation just a couple of decades ago? (Not even going to get into a discussion about the ongoing efforts to insure the US is systematically stripped of both its wealth and power and who benefits from those efforts.)

Our limited brains only know billion and trillion means "a lot" because no one can count that high. No one can realistically count to a billion but theoretically it is possible for someone to do in his lifetime since it "only" takes 32 years to count to a billion. But not true of a trillion. It would take 32,000 years to count to a trillion. What "rich" do you see paying off 14 times that number before the entire house of cards collapses? And what magical fairy dust are you counting on to come out in good shape when it happens? Or will you just wait until caught with your pants down before scrambling?

Oh yeah but hey let's spend money we actually don't have so we can PRETEND black hole programs like this are actually doing a fucking thing besides wasting more money, right? These programs are a poor use of limited taxpayer funds and we need to make sure government has the funds to do its absolutely vital services -and to STOP with these fantasy programs so politicians can encourage more people to believe government can be everything to everyone and it doesn't cost a fucking dime. We can no longer afford to throw away nonexistent money on programs like this! When YOU are facing bankruptcy do you keep your entertainment budget intact and just cut out your food or electricity so you can keep it or what? THESE programs are the equivalent of having Netflix -a waste of money even on a good day since it contributes zero to sustaining your life - but good for a few laughs when the money is flowing.

Government does not create wealth, it is not a "job creator" and government cannot hire people and thereby lower the unemployment rate because those aren't self-sustaining jobs. Government isn't the engine of our economy. Taxpayers aren't paying my salary -the person I work for who owns that business pays it and he gets that money to pay me because my own work generates more income for his business than he would get if I didn't work there. THIS is how wealth is created, this is how the economy grows and notice there is NO burden being placed on taxpayers to foot the bill for my salary in that equation.

But for someone getting a "paycheck" from government its a totally different story. Their "salary" is coming from taxpayers, not the private sector and they don't generate wealth from their work. Those aren't real jobs because those holding real jobs don't receive their income from TAXPAYERS but by those who actually created the job in the belief it will be a self sustaining job -one that pays for itself because the person holding that job will be generating at least as much to cover the cost of that job. Pretending these government funded programs create real jobs and somehow benefit the economy is a FANTASY at best, a deliberate deceit and lie by those who actually know better. These are NOT real jobs, they do NOT benefit the economy and these kinds of programs didn't work for FDR and it doesn't work HERE. In fact economists now agree FDR's programs deepened and lengthened the depression. In other words, it made things WORSE and made it stay worse for a lot longer than it would have without his programs.

I don't care how many POLITICIANS you want to quote on this. Politicians are not among the most trustworthy and certainly not counted among the most intelligent in this country either. I have quotes out the ass from several famous and infamous people waxing on about how wonderful communism is too -does that make it true in your world? And the hell with the fact history has repeatedly proven it to be one of the most inhumane, cold, brutal and mass murdering invention of man in modern history that is only fit for an ant colony? These kinds of programs are BLACK HOLES, history has repeatedly proven that to be true and it doesn't matter what window dressing is put on them or how many name changes they go through. Whatever government touches it adds layer upon layer of inefficiency, corruption, waste and fraud at a level not seen in the private sector -and dollar for dollar, THESE are a pathetic waste and poor investment of taxpayer money that would be better and more efficiently and effectively spent in the private sector in the first place -instead of government siphoning it out of the private sector and then pretending it can do a better job of it!

Obama is THE biggest anti-business President since Jimmy Carter -whose own ant-business hatred decimated our economy too, damage that took far longer to repair than it took him to inflict. Obama hasn't a clue how to create conditions conducive for job creation and every time he opens his mouth he proves it yet again. The man is jam pack full of comments revealing the true depths of his ignorance and incompetence. For which millions are paying dearly. When you elect someone who believes the source of greatness in this country is NOT its people but its GOVERNMENT -then you know you are in a shitload of trouble.

Congress isn’t likely to do much to create jobs anytime soon, so when opportunities arise, ideally lawmakers would take advantage of them. Yesterday in the Senate, for example, members were asked to reauthorize the Economic Development Administration, a successful program that provides federal grants to local projects.

There was at least some hope that Republicans could support this. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), for example, said yesterday of the EDA, “I have seen firsthand that it has led to the creation of jobs in my home state and has been a catalyst for private sector investment.”

Sounds good, right? Wrong. Collins, a few hours later, voted to kill the Economic Development Administration

The result is the apparent end of a program that even the most far-right members have embraced in the recent. Hell, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), arguably the Senate’s most right-wing member, held a workshop last year to help South Carolina businesses and organizations take advantage of EDA opportunities. Yesterday, DeMint led the fight to kill the EDA.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said last month that funds from an EDA grant “would pave the way for the creation of new jobs and business opportunities, which will strengthen the region’s economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said just two weeks ago that an EDA grant would bring “a much needed boost to the local economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) has called EDA projects “key to our region’s future economic development.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) recently boasted, “I have long been a supporter of EDA programs.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities - Press Releases - News Room - United States Senator Jim DeMint

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010
The office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce will provide a workshop Thursday, June 17, 2010 for the Myrtle Beach and Pee Dee areas to highlight competitive funding opportunities available to community businesses and organizations.

The Economic Development Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and Grants.Gov are the presenting agencies that will participate in the workshop.

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

A bill to fund the Economic Development Administration (EDA), a measure Democrats characterized as a “jobs bill,” was stopped from advancing in the Senate Tuesday in a 49-51 vote.

Watch right wingers blame it on Democrats because "FOUR" voted with Republicans who blocked this 100%. It wouldn't matter anyway because you need 60 votes.

Can you imagine that many Republicans voting to help the American Middle Class? I couldn't. Seriously, how many years has it been since Republicans did anything to help people that weren't millionaires?
Republicans have said their primary objective is to get a Republican in the White House and what better way to do that than to work for a double dip in the economy. A million more foreclosures and a 10% unemployment rate would be cause for a right wing celebration. Somehow I don't think voters would be quite so pleased.

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

Republicans have said their primary objective is to get a Republican in the White House and what better way to do that than to work for a double dip in the economy. A million more foreclosures and a 10% unemployment rate would be cause for a right wing celebration. Somehow I don't think voters would be quite so pleased.

Can I apply that same logic to the Democratic Party's goal of getting one of their own into the White House and everything bad that happened when Bush was president?

FYI.

First Quarterly Competition – In Brief

EDA received 110 applications requesting a combined $158 million in EDA funding, of which:
    • 75 applications were eliminated from the competition during EDA’s Technical and Merit Review process;
    • 35 applications, totaling over $48 million in requests, were forwarded to be reviewed by EDA’s Investment Review Committee (IRC); and,
    • 16 applicants received non-binding commitment letters to fund their combined $14.7 million in requests.
    Applications Receiving Non-Binding Commitment Letters Under the First Quarterly Competition

Control#Region Applicant Project Title EDA $ EDA Priority Initiative 94195Atlanta Halifax County Corporate Park Infrastructure $779,203 Regional Innovation Clusters94053Atlanta Savannah EDA Core Infrastructure for Aerospace $1,132,024 Regional Innovation Clusters93676Atlanta Dorchester County Water Reclamation $1,382,500 Regional Innovation Clusters93952Atlanta Northeast Florida RPC Industry Cluster Study $200,000 Regional Innovation Clusters94232Atlanta Bulloch County Core Infrastructure $1,279,210 Regional Innovation Clusters94192Atlanta Anderson Reg Joint Wtr Core Infrastructure $2,000,000 Green94194Atlanta BBAI Business Incubator $800,000 Green94196Atlanta City of Adel Innovation Infrastructure $811,500 Green94243Atlanta Bradley County Whirlpool Corp Rail Spur $401,500 Green94233Atlanta Decatur County Key Industrial Park Infrastructure $1,722,918 Other94198Chicago Council on Competitiveness Technical Assistance to Small Manufacturers $2,022,451 Regional Innovation Clusters 94197Chicago Michigan State University Innovative Regional Infrastructure $179,654 Trade Related 93229Chicago Clinton Co Port Authority AirPark Redevelopment Plan $294,000 Planning 93912Denver Hutchinson City of Expand Business Park $1,360,397 Regional Innovation Clusters 93892Seattle Enterprise Honolulu APEC Business Development $250,000 Trade Related 94173Seattle Hawaii Planning Office Food Security Plan $100,000 Planning
Not exactly a HUGE amount of money to create jobs, is it?

Forum List

Back