EDA: Proof Republicans want to ruin the economy to get Obama

R

rdean

PoliticalKilling the Economic Development Administration

Congress isn’t likely to do much to create jobs anytime soon, so when opportunities arise, ideally lawmakers would take advantage of them. Yesterday in the Senate, for example, members were asked to reauthorize the Economic Development Administration, a successful program that provides federal grants to local projects.

There was at least some hope that Republicans could support this. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), for example, said yesterday of the EDA, “I have seen firsthand that it has led to the creation of jobs in my home state and has been a catalyst for private sector investment.”

Sounds good, right? Wrong. Collins, a few hours later, voted to kill the Economic Development Administration

The result is the apparent end of a program that even the most far-right members have embraced in the recent. Hell, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), arguably the Senate’s most right-wing member, held a workshop last year to help South Carolina businesses and organizations take advantage of EDA opportunities. Yesterday, DeMint led the fight to kill the EDA.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said last month that funds from an EDA grant “would pave the way for the creation of new jobs and business opportunities, which will strengthen the region’s economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said just two weeks ago that an EDA grant would bring “a much needed boost to the local economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) has called EDA projects “key to our region’s future economic development.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) recently boasted, “I have long been a supporter of EDA programs.” He voted to kill the program, too.

----------------------------------------------------------
Jim Demint's website touting the EDA. HIS OWN WEBSITE:

Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities - Press Releases - News Room - United States Senator Jim DeMint

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010
Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities
The office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce will provide a workshop Thursday, June 17, 2010 for the Myrtle Beach and Pee Dee areas to highlight competitive funding opportunities available to community businesses and organizations.

The Economic Development Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and Grants.Gov are the presenting agencies that will participate in the workshop.

WHO:

Staff from the office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint

Representatives from the Economic Development Administration

WHEN:

2:00 PM – 4:00 PM

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

2006 N. Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

--------------------------------------------------------------

Another 'Jobs bill' sinks after Senate vote

A bill to fund the Economic Development Administration (EDA), a measure Democrats characterized as a “jobs bill,” was stopped from advancing in the Senate Tuesday in a 49-51 vote.

Another 'Jobs bill' sinks after Senate vote - The Hill's Floor Action

-----------------------------------------------------------

Watch right wingers blame it on Democrats because "FOUR" voted with Republicans who blocked this 100%. It wouldn't matter anyway because you need 60 votes.

Can you imagine that many Republicans voting to help the American Middle Class? I couldn't. Seriously, how many years has it been since Republicans did anything to help people that weren't millionaires?

Oh REALLY RDean?? Just Republicans eh??

These grants from the EDA go to state/local "enterprise zones" that have been a crony cesspool of graft and corruption for years now. IN FACT -- Jerry Brown (one of the only leftists on my "hero" list) agrees with the Republicans then...

With his [[jerry brown]] plan to ax the state’s system of “enterprise zones” and related tax credits, Brown wants to do away with a program whose history of failure can be charitably blamed on bad luck or miscarried good intentions. But by trying to kill the state’s 425 redevelopment agencies (RDAs), the governor is taking on—and robustly criticizing—a gang of thugs whose activities closely resemble those of a criminal enterprise.

Brown has plenty of reason to cut both entities. The state faces a $25 billion deficit during the next two years, and both programs are enormous money losers. By eliminating enterprise zone tax breaks (which include hiring credits, interest deductions, special treatment for sales taxes paid, and a credit for employees who earn wages within a given area), the governor expects to make an additional $343 million available in the 2010–11 budget and $581 million in 2011–12.

The $6 Billion Scam - Reason Magazine

What's left to kill? Bush beat it half to death and Obama pulled a freakin headshot... Funny story is if Obama took a step back and did nothing I'd bet in a few months shit gets better.

Congress isn’t likely to do much to create jobs anytime soon, so when opportunities arise, ideally lawmakers would take advantage of them. Yesterday in the Senate, for example, members were asked to reauthorize the Economic Development Administration, a successful program that provides federal grants to local projects.

There was at least some hope that Republicans could support this. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), for example, said yesterday of the EDA, “I have seen firsthand that it has led to the creation of jobs in my home state and has been a catalyst for private sector investment.”

Sounds good, right? Wrong. Collins, a few hours later, voted to kill the Economic Development Administration

The result is the apparent end of a program that even the most far-right members have embraced in the recent. Hell, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), arguably the Senate’s most right-wing member, held a workshop last year to help South Carolina businesses and organizations take advantage of EDA opportunities. Yesterday, DeMint led the fight to kill the EDA.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said last month that funds from an EDA grant “would pave the way for the creation of new jobs and business opportunities, which will strengthen the region’s economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said just two weeks ago that an EDA grant would bring “a much needed boost to the local economy.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) has called EDA projects “key to our region’s future economic development.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) recently boasted, “I have long been a supporter of EDA programs.” He voted to kill the program, too.

Workshop to Highlight Competitive Funding Opportunities - Press Releases - News Room - United States Senator Jim DeMint

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010
The office of U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) and the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce will provide a workshop Thursday, June 17, 2010 for the Myrtle Beach and Pee Dee areas to highlight competitive funding opportunities available to community businesses and organizations.

The Economic Development Administration, the Federal Highway Administration and Grants.Gov are the presenting agencies that will participate in the workshop.

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

A bill to fund the Economic Development Administration (EDA), a measure Democrats characterized as a “jobs bill,” was stopped from advancing in the Senate Tuesday in a 49-51 vote.

Watch right wingers blame it on Democrats because "FOUR" voted with Republicans who blocked this 100%. It wouldn't matter anyway because you need 60 votes.

Can you imagine that many Republicans voting to help the American Middle Class? I couldn't. Seriously, how many years has it been since Republicans did anything to help people that weren't millionaires?

Are you aware that economic development is political code speak for taking property from poor people and giving it to rich people? Why are you upset that Republicans stood up for poor people?

Oh REALLY RDean?? Just Republicans eh??

These grants from the EDA go to state/local "enterprise zones" that have been a crony cesspool of graft and corruption for years now. IN FACT -- Jerry Brown (one of the only leftists on my "hero" list) agrees with the Republicans then...

With his [[jerry brown]] plan to ax the state’s system of “enterprise zones” and related tax credits, Brown wants to do away with a program whose history of failure can be charitably blamed on bad luck or miscarried good intentions. But by trying to kill the state’s 425 redevelopment agencies (RDAs), the governor is taking on—and robustly criticizing—a gang of thugs whose activities closely resemble those of a criminal enterprise.

Brown has plenty of reason to cut both entities. The state faces a $25 billion deficit during the next two years, and both programs are enormous money losers. By eliminating enterprise zone tax breaks (which include hiring credits, interest deductions, special treatment for sales taxes paid, and a credit for employees who earn wages within a given area), the governor expects to make an additional $343 million available in the 2010–11 budget and $581 million in 2011–12.

The $6 Billion Scam - Reason Magazine

I love it when someone posts to a story that says things like:

The budget summary cites a 2005 legislative analyst’s finding (and which analyst was that?)

So I continue reading and they reference the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research. So I go to that site and I come across this:

http://www.upjohn.org/sites/default/files/releases/bartik_hamilton_10-13-10_0.pdf

1. Customized training: The federal government would help support state customized training programs that would work with small and medium-sized
businesses in distressed areas to provide job training for both incumbent workers and new hires.

2. Expanding the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) program: The current MEP, supported by a combination of federal and state funds and private
fees, would be expanded, with half of this expansion targeted at distressed areas, in order to provide small and medium-sized manufacturers with
high-quality advice and training to improve their competitiveness.

3. Empowerment Zones: The current Empowerment Zone program would be returned to its original design, under which business tax breaks for employment residents of designated Zones would be combined with public service block grants that would improve the economic climate in the Zones.
The strategies, if adopted, would provide training to 1.5 million workers every year, provide an additional

-------------------------------------------

Like I said, even Republicans say what a good program it is. Now because California may have abused the program, and I say, "MAY HAVE" because I couldn't find any reference to EDA in your article, you can't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Now, what plans to Republicans have? Beside cut taxes for rich people?

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

Are you aware that economic development is political code speak for taking property from poor people and giving it to rich people? Why are you upset that Republicans stood up for poor people?

Republicans stood up for "poor people"?????

Now THAT'S fucking hilarious!

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

You said they killed the economic development grants. That means they stood up for poor people, and fucked over all the rich people who lobby for those grants to build shopping centers and hotels.

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

So because of a stereotype the left has fostered you think it's impossible. The GOP is EVILE!!!

They want to kill you and the poor. They wanna throw Grandma over a cliff.

They want to cut you open gut you and roll around in your entrails.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Republicans.

Last edited:
Um........if GOP wants it or not, the fact is Democrats are STILL in charge.

My God. I've never seen a group so hell bent on obtaining power, and then once it's in their hands, try so hard to act like they are NOT in control.

White House- DEMOCRAT
Senate- DEMOCRAT
House- REPUBLICAN

If the economy gets worse, 2/3 of the blame lays on the big blue D.

So spending money we didn't have failed to fix unemployment, so you want, not just the dems to repeat the failed idea, but the GOP to do so also.

That b,y a scientists, definition, is insanity.

Obama: I created 2.1 Million new jobs (laughter)
Question is? For whom? Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.

To date? Obama has discourcaged MUCH in the private sector. Someone needs to teach Deany the facts of life so he will cease being a partisan HACK...and comic relief...to our detriment.

Recent Press Releases

June 16, 2010

WHO:

WHEN:

Thursday, June 17, 2010

WHERE:

The Breakers Resort

You are just an idiot. Acknowledging that MC and SS have issues and wanting to do something about it. IS LOOKING OUT FOR THE POOR.

Supporting Vouchers so anyone can send their kids to Private School, IS LOOKING OUR FOR THE POOR.

You have to be one of the most pathetically blinded Partisan fools I have ever encountered sir.

Um........if GOP wants it or not, the fact is Democrats are STILL in charge.

My God. I've never seen a group so hell bent on obtaining power, and then once it's in their hands, try so hard to act like they are NOT in control.

White House- DEMOCRAT
Senate- DEMOCRAT
House- REPUBLICAN

If the economy gets worse, 2/3 of the blame lays on the big blue D.
They own it and refuse to take the ownership of it because it's so bad for them. People as Deany have to rely upon excuses...

I don’t know about ‘proof’ but there are many on the right who would like to see the economy fail, fellow Americans suffer, all for partisan gain.

And yes, the left is just as guilty for wishing the same when a republican is president.

It’s indicative of the sickness and depravity of partisan extremism displayed in this very forum and across the nation daily.

Obama: I created 2.1 Million new jobs (laughter)
Question is? For whom? Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.

To date? Obama has discourcaged MUCH in the private sector. Someone needs to teach Deany the facts of life so he will cease being a partisan HACK...and comic relief...to our detriment.

Sencond thing? The POTUS cannot create a single job...he can encourage economic activity or discourage it by policies.
Oh, I don't know about that.
Where would Fox be without him?

What's left to kill? Bush beat it half to death and Obama pulled a freakin headshot... Funny story is if Obama took a step back and did nothing I'd bet in a few months shit gets better.

I completely agree that the economic problems has been a bipartisan problem. However, I don't think we have seen the worst of it yet. Wait till the food shortages hit the USA like they have been hitting other parts of the world. Wait till the inflation gets really bad.

No, we are still at the beginning of this. We can afford further problems if we make the hard choice and fix things now, but i dont think enough people will.

Forum List

Back