Ed Schultz: Cain is pandering to white Republicans

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a highly educated man and he was NOT an Uncle Tom. He supported his race rather than turn his back on it.

Atlanta teachers then discovered nation wide.

Cheating for students.

What were you saying? You do understand what uncle tom means. You should.................

Your point?

I made it. We know how democrats feel about educating blacks. They pay it lip service but anyone successful betrayed the race by learning the white mans ways.

Hi LL! I just have a question about your remark that Herman Cain holds a special appeal for racists. I'm not sure what you mean.

Also have to tell you I wasn'ty bothered that much when he said he would not allow a Muslim in his administration. I think due to the terrorism today and the difficulty to determine just who is a "radical" muslim, I would play it safe and look for my talent elsewhere. We are talking about the Executive Branch of gov't. Just being honest.

Hi, Jackson. Thank you for your interest in my post. Here is the question as I understand it:

Question: How would Cain's statements appeal to people (subsequently referred to as "racists") who actively dislike black people?

I think it is clear that statements which tend to make black people as a whole look bad would be particularly appealing to racists. Consider Cain's statements:

"A lot of these liberal, leftist folk in this country, that are black, they're more racist than the white people that they're claiming to be racist."

This statement is about "a lot" of black liberals. Most blacks are left of center, (they're about ten times more likely to be Democrats than Republicans Republican Base Heavily White, Conservative, Religious). By calling them racist, Cain can be plausibly seen as criticizing the black community, which as I've said I think has a clear appeal for racists. He also defends white people who are accused of being racists. Since racists are more likely to be called racist, this too doubtless holds appeal for them.

Cain also said that he didn't "believe there is racism in this country today that holds anybody back in a big way." Given the demonstrable problems in the black community (education, income, life expectancy disparities) someone must be to blame for them. If it is non-blacks, then we can blame racism. Otherwise, we must blame the black community itself. Thus, when Cain denies the significance of racism he not only again indemnifies actual racists, he also implicitly blames blacks for the problems in their community. Again, this should appeal to racists.

Thus, regardless of whether Cain's remarks are true or fair (I don't think they are) or whether they can appeal to non-racists (I think they can) I think it is clear that they hold more appeal to people who dislike black people than to people who like black people.

Of course he also makes many remarks that hold no particular appeal to racists. A few, most prominently his criticism of Perry for the name of the hunting cabin, probably were particularly unappealing to racists.
Problems in the black community that you mentioned are not caused by racism or rich white Republicans. They are caused by one parent families, lack of desire for a good education, disrespect for the law and an entitlement attitude. The same factors cause poverty among whites as well.
The disparity in poverty per capita by race, is more a cultural problem than one of race.
Men like Herman Cain, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Robert Johnson, Spike Lee, Sean Combs and barack obama all came from modest means and became wealthy and accomplished. Why? Because they availed themselves of an education, followed the rules and worked their asses off to accomplish their goals. Several of these men came up when it was a lot tougher than than it is now, but overcame the vestiges of the old racism.
It's much easier today, yet fewer black kids grow up in 2 parent families, more black kids are in the penal system, fewer black kids graduate high school and more grow up under one or more entitlement programs.
My daddy told me that if I wanted the American dream, I'd have to work my ass off for it. Try it. It works.

I did, it did and I still think white conservatives are racist pieces of shit.

Hi, Jackson. Thank you for your interest in my post. Here is the question as I understand it:

Question: How would Cain's statements appeal to people (subsequently referred to as "racists") who actively dislike black people?

I think it is clear that statements which tend to make black people as a whole look bad would be particularly appealing to racists. Consider Cain's statements:

"A lot of these liberal, leftist folk in this country, that are black, they're more racist than the white people that they're claiming to be racist."

This statement is about "a lot" of black liberals. Most blacks are left of center, (they're about ten times more likely to be Democrats than Republicans Republican Base Heavily White, Conservative, Religious). By calling them racist, Cain can be plausibly seen as criticizing the black community, which as I've said I think has a clear appeal for racists. He also defends white people who are accused of being racists. Since racists are more likely to be called racist, this too doubtless holds appeal for them.

Cain also said that he didn't "believe there is racism in this country today that holds anybody back in a big way." Given the demonstrable problems in the black community (education, income, life expectancy disparities) someone must be to blame for them. If it is non-blacks, then we can blame racism. Otherwise, we must blame the black community itself. Thus, when Cain denies the significance of racism he not only again indemnifies actual racists, he also implicitly blames blacks for the problems in their community. Again, this should appeal to racists.

Thus, regardless of whether Cain's remarks are true or fair (I don't think they are) or whether they can appeal to non-racists (I think they can) I think it is clear that they hold more appeal to people who dislike black people than to people who like black people.

Of course he also makes many remarks that hold no particular appeal to racists. A few, most prominently his criticism of Perry for the name of the hunting cabin, probably were particularly unappealing to racists.
Problems in the black community that you mentioned are not caused by racism or rich white Republicans. They are caused by one parent families, lack of desire for a good education, disrespect for the law and an entitlement attitude. The same factors cause poverty among whites as well.
The disparity in poverty per capita by race, is more a cultural problem than one of race.
Men like , Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Robert Johnson, Spike Lee, Sean Combs and barack obama all came from modest means and became wealthy and accomplished. Why? Because they availed themselves of an education, followed the rules and worked their asses off to accomplish their goals. Several of these men came up when it was a lot tougher than than it is now, but overcame the vestiges of the old racism.
It's much easier today, yet fewer black kids grow up in 2 parent families, more black kids are in the penal system, fewer black kids graduate high school and more grow up under one or more entitlement programs.
My daddy told me that if I wanted the American dream, I'd have to work my ass off for it. Try it. It works.

I did, it did and I still think white conservatives are racist pieces of shit.

Youve have proven so are blacks. Is there a point you are actually trying to make. Because even then it doesnt include all, although your shallow mind might not be able to grasp that.

Men like Herman Cain, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Robert Johnson, Spike Lee, Sean Combs and barack obama all came from modest means and became wealthy and accomplished. Why? Because they availed themselves of an education, followed the rules and worked their asses off to accomplish their goals. Several of these men came up when it was a lot tougher than than it is now, but overcame the vestiges of the old racism.

Again, your statements seem to be about whether Cain's remarks are true. Mine were about whether they appealed to racists, not whether they were true.

You identify problems you perceive in the black community. I agree that such problems do exist, to a significant degree. However, that does not mean that blacks are not hurt by racism. There is no evidence to support, and plenty to refute, the assertion that all rather than some of the disparities are caused by problems in the black community. Further, even problems within the black community that aren't fueled by present-day white anti-black racism can be clearly traced to historic white racism.

You suggest that matters attributed to race are properly attributed to culture. I would say that race is largely a socially-constructed concept. Thus most things that are racial can also be cultural.

You mention a number of successful black men (incidentally, by a number of metrics, black women are doing better than black men). It is of course possible for black people to succeed in modern America (though I'm not sure Sean Combs would attribute much of his success to his formal education). However, in the aggregate they are not succeeding as much (as I define success) as are other races. This shouldn't surprise you, since you mention problems in the black community. The success of Barack Obama no more disproves the significance of racism than it does those problems you mentioned.

Who Cain? He mentioned that he might consider Demint as a running mate. Demint used the word "break".
Demint is "post-intentionally racist", Cain likes Demint, so Cain is pandering, "post-intentionally" perhaps, but pandering none the less.

When did he say that? We all know he will pick Gingrich if he wins the GOP election.

I would put a million dollars on it!

Uncle Tom Cain also said Paul Ryan may be his VP pick. He also seems to worship Newt Gingrich. Holy shit...

Look if you want to criticize his policies thats ok, but when you start using this as proof you are neglecting the real reason why. These two appear to be the most informed on the issues, and have the most conservative views. Some will disagree with the Paul part but I do think Libertarian is conservatism. However, as Herman Cain says he thinks America needs a bold solution and those two I believe would do so. Paul has said he would multiple times, and I think why Gingrich struggles because he is far more of an independent mind than Romney. Romney comes off like the republican version of John Kerry in my opinion. Everyone goes on and on about their look and they both do a pretty good job speaking, however, everyone knows which ever way the wind is blowing they are going. I will never support Romney, I won't vote Obama but I'm in NY so it doesn't really matter. The rest of the field I think it makes sense why he isn't really interested in them.

How can anyone besides you be racist in this when you are calling him Uncle Tom. Which doesn't even make sense to me, the guy reminds me of a lot of people I know who you would not even have thought that about. Then you put him next to Obama, and Cain is the Uncle Tom? Obama raised by his white mom and grand mother in Hawaii and Indonesia lol? Then who went on to what was it Occidental and Columbia? Obama has worked for nothing and doesn't appear to be any different than one of these other politicians? How does he relate more to someone really strugglin more than Herman Cain? I honestly don't see how people can say this about him and why people don't understand he is conservatives and a lot of conservatives like him. It's how he lived that's why he is conservative and that why conservatives like him. He epitomizes the individual and the true success any one can get rich no matter where they start off.

It's not some crazy scheme and that doesn't make sense. He isn't apart of the establishment, and it's so backwards and insulting.

Can one be racist without saying to one's self "Hm, what would be the racist thing to do here?" Yes, of course.

There are racists of every race and political party, so of course there are white racist Republicans. Even putting aside his anti-Muslim remarks, has made a number of statements that have particular appeal to racists:

Cain rises by slamming race - CNN.com
Cain charges some in black community of racism – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I'm sure most of the people who support Cain aren't particularly racist, but I'm equally sure that Cain holds a special appeal for racists.

WTF? Did you read that crap? Seriously?

Sorry but this is the kind of crap I can't stand about the left. What a totally CONVOLUTED PIECE OF BULLSHIT! That sounds just as intelligent as Janine Garafalo's dumb shit claim that Cain is only still alive as a candidate because its the racists who are supporting him -and supporting him for the purpose of DISGUISING their "racism". Which would have to be THE most massive but UNSPOKEN conspiracies ever. To say nothing of it being the DUMBEST ONE as well! I know why Garafalo said it though -anything else would challenge her perverted, distorted and totally false worldview (AGAIN) -so she clings to bullshit like that because she is more comfortable believing that shit than dealing with reality. She epitomizes the total lack of critical thinking skills among the left. Just like you on some bizarre level would seriously suggest that Cain would be a candidate who racists found more appealing than the white ones running -and that in fact he is TRYING to appeal to racists. That is just so off the wall garbage you HAVE to be leftwing to even pretend that makes sense, much less truly believe it. And why do you think it makes sense somehow? Because you believe what he said was the reason he was being attacked by the left and leftwing blacks -to be "racist" and therefore something racists would find appealing! Really? You think the fact he is aware most blacks vote Democrat and that black Republicans in particular are viciously attacked by the left and leftwing blacks and he thinks the reason for it is because Democrats strongly discourage blacks from thinking for themselves is a "racist"? Along with his other comments about the self-defeatist attitudes Democrats encourage blacks to believe about themselves? And because YOU think these are essentially "racist", it must be something other racists would find appealing? Are you for real??? Every time I think a liberal can't top an idiotic statement, here they come again.

The idea that racists would find Cain a more "comfortable" candidate for themselves than a white person is LUDICROUS. No matter what comes out of his mouth, a true racist isn't going to get past the fact he is BLACK, are they? Racists would never TRUST a black person to not misuse power -so I just don't see racists risking giving a black person the most powerful job in the country where he might "misuse" that power to do everything a racist fears a black person with power might do!

You have to totally lack critical thinking skills to think Cain could ever say ANYTHING that would really appeal to racists that could EVER make them forget the fact that Cain IS what they don't EVER want to see -a successful, powerful BLACK MAN! But you know what? I'm starting to realize there is NO WAY the left will ever allow REALITY to challenge their perverted worldview. They can't -otherwise it would mean coming to grips with the fact everything they believe about the world is built on the SNAKE OIL it is with no truth holding it up. And there really isn't although I don't expect these words to make a dent either.

Oh no, Republicans and the Tea Party can't POSSIBLY be supporting this guy because the man is a PROVEN NATURAL BORN LEADER, someone who totally unlike Obama has decades of PROVEN executive skills and outstanding leadership skills, a man with a long track record of being dealt one losing situation after another and turning it into victory -again and again and AGAIN! The man has a track record of refusing defeat. Oh no, its only because racists just want to pretend they aren't racists??? And here is another ditz claiming a BLACK MAN appeals to RACISTS because you think his opinion about why the left hates black Republicans in particular is a "racist appealing" answer???? You really think his answer about why the left so viciously attacks black conservatives would appeal to a RACIST? I, along with most conservatives, think what has been done and said to keep blacks on the Democrat plantation even after Emancipation is the REAL racism here. The soul destroying paternalistic racism of the left IS the truly prevalent racism. The nonstop message that blacks can't expect to succeed in our society is racist. The nonstop message from the left that blacks can't expect to get anywhere unless expectations are lowered for them is racist. The message that blacks can't expect to do well for themselves unless they are given handouts and that they are entitled to those handouts is racist. When Democrats owned slaves they said blacks couldn't really take care of themselves because they were so childlike. What has really changed in what Democrats say today? Leftwing paternalistic racism has DESTROYED the black family and destroyed black communities. Truly -and in a way Democrats didn't even do when they owned them as slaves. Paternalistic racism is far more destructive than overt racism -overt racism is something a person can see coming and recognize it for exactly what it is. But the paternalistic racism of the left is insidious, soul destroying SNAKE OIL disguised as "caring". And of course the left always claims that those who refuse to join them in that paternalistic racist FILTH are the real racists. Modern liberalism is poison to the soul -to say nothing of what it does to the brain.

Democrats and the left in general are OBSESSED by race and with race like no one else in this country. And because they are, they assume everyone else is too. They see EVERYTHING in terms of skin color and can rarely see beyond it. The left will always accuse their opponents of their own worst sins, it is one of the standard tactics. But on the racism bit, they take the cake. Its why the left put up a black man who was unqualified for the job, who never held a real job in his life, who made no secret of the fact he chose to surround himself with radicals and terrorists, has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to the economy, someone whose first act as President was to travel the world apologizing for the fact the US wasn't a loser nation that didn't make the same mistakes they did and someone totally beholden to the party whose entire career existed only as a result of the corrupt Chicago political machine and not because he ever accomplished a damn thing. Everyone knows the man was elected BECAUSE he was black. And its why the man in the lead on the right at this point is someone eminently qualified for the job, someone who champions American values, someone with a proven track record of outstanding executive skills, a proven leader and best of all -someone who unlike politicians actually knows what the hell he is talking about when it comes to the economy, jobs and business. And he HAPPENS to be black. The real racists are liberals and Democrats and always will be. They never changed those spots - they just realized wrapping it up as "caring" made it easier for others to swallow.

art_obama_protest_sign_cnn.jpg

Why do leftists see everything in terms of race or nationality? Cain is a conservative, what do you expect? His political positions have nothing to do with race, but ideology. I don't care what color he is....
Easy. They see groups. They don't belive in rugged individuals in charge of themselves. And of course there's the inherent need of leftists to be liked even if they have to lie to get what they want.

Last edited:
Can one be racist without saying to one's self "Hm, what would be the racist thing to do here?" Yes, of course.

There are racists of every race and political party, so of course there are white racist Republicans. Even putting aside his anti-Muslim remarks, has made a number of statements that have particular appeal to racists:

Cain rises by slamming race - CNN.com
Cain charges some in black community of racism – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I'm sure most of the people who support Cain aren't particularly racist, but I'm equally sure that Cain holds a special appeal for racists.

Hi LL! I just have a question about your remark that Herman Cain holds a special appeal for racists. I'm not sure what you mean.

Also have to tell you I wasn'ty bothered that much when he said he would not allow a Muslim in his administration. I think due to the terrorism today and the difficulty to determine just who is a "radical" muslim, I would play it safe and look for my talent elsewhere. We are talking about the Executive Branch of gov't. Just being honest.

You are saying that with the country in such horrible condition, he should do racial profiling instead of choosing the best people?

Herman Cain is the "black friend" that white conservatives use to offset their racist bullshit.

And barack obama is the articulate clean guy Democrats elected to assuage their post racial guilt.
obama is the left's token black. Cain is a Conservative candidate with a message that resonates with a great many people that just happens to be black.
Herman Cain would be a major Conservative voice even if he was white. If barack obama was white, he would be a bartender in Honolulu.

So Dems have "post racial guilt" with Obama, but Cain isn't white conservative post racial guilt?

How many bartenders are Harvard Law graduates?
He wouldn't have gotten into Harvard if he was white.
I wouldn't call Cain's popularity post racial guilt, maybe a " Here's a black guy with some substance".

What did he say wrong?

Who Cain? He mentioned that he might consider Demint as a running mate. Demint used the word "break".
Demint is "post-intentionally racist", Cain likes Demint, so Cain is pandering, "post-intentionally" perhaps, but pandering none the less.

When did he say that? We all know he will pick Gingrich if he wins the GOP election.

I would put a million dollars on it!

Did you read the article linked in the OP?

October 14, 2011 1:28pm 1179 Comments
Schultz says 'break' is a 'southern racist term'
byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer
Follow on Twitter:mad:jsgehrkejr
MSNBC host Ed Schultz believes that Herman Cain, pictured, is telling "white Republicans who don't like black folks . . . what they want to hear." / AP

Ed Schultz, host of MSNBC's the Ed Show, believes that Republican presidential contender Herman Cain is pandering to "white Republicans out there who don't like black folks" and accused Sen. Jim Demint, R-S.C., of using racist langauge in his opposition to Obamacare.

Snip

Georgetown professor Michael Eric Dyson agreed with Schultz's suggestion and accused Cain of denying racism for the sake of his "great machinery of self-promotion." Dyson said that Cain should especially recognize "post-intentional racism" - racism that people don't intend to have or to act upon.

Wait a cotton picking minute here! I can be racist without intending to be racist?

Cain is pandering to white republicans that don't like blacks?

Seems to me, if Cain is pandering to anyone, it's Americans that don't like one black individual for reasons other than his race.

Liberals are just downright nasty people especially the white ones

Forum List

Back