ed mcmahon dead

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Ed McMahon Dead at Age 86 | NBC New York

is best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on the late-night show, was hospitalized in February with pneumonia and other illnesses.

The legend became embroiled in financial trouble and his home was reportedly to be placed on the auction block later this month after he fell behind $644,000 on his $4.8 million mortgage

:( Very sad. Had no idea what kind of military history this guy had... he was in World War 2 and the Korean War and he retired with the rank of Colonel.

Last edited:
Ed McMahon Dead at Age 86 | NBC New York

is best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on the late-night show, was hospitalized in February with pneumonia and other illnesses.

The legend became embroiled in financial trouble and his home was reportedly to be placed on the auction block later this month after he fell behind $644,000 on his $4.8 million mortgage

Wow, he still had a mortgage? That's not a great way to end his career after all this time in show business.

Nice man.

Born the day before me on March 6th:
Ed McMahon (86) 1923
Born: Detroit, Michigan / Birth name: Edward Leo McMahon / Height: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
First appearance before a microphone was a 15 year old ‘caller’ at a bingo game in Maine.
After that he would spend the next 3 years touring the state fair and carnival circuit.
A fighter pilot during World War II, McMahon sold vegetable slicers on Atlantic City's
boardwalk to put himself through Catholic University in Washington D.C.
In the 1950s, McMahon hosted a late-night interview show in Philadelphia before
working as a clown on the show ‘Big Top’.
His next assignment was as fighter pilot during the Korean War.
After that he resumed his career in Television.
In 1959, he was hired as Johnny Carson's straight man on the daytime quiz show
‘Who Do You Trust?’
When Carson succeeded Jack Paar on NBC's Tonight Show, he took McMahon with him.
This job would last for 30 years and make McMahon wealthy and famous.
Spouses: Pam Hurn (22 February 1992 - present)
Victoria Valentine (1977 - 1989) (divorced) 1 adopted daughter
Alyce Ferrill (1949 - 1976) (divorced) 4 children
Trade mark: His laugh & His call, ’Hi-ooooo!’ / Usually appears as a sidekick
Was a decorated Marine fighter pilot during WWII.
‘Star Search’ (1983) TV Series as Host (1983-1995).
#2 guy on ‘The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson’ 1963-92.
Movie debut at age 32 in ‘Dementia’ (1955) as Narrator.
At age 54 in ‘Fun with Dick and Jane’ (1977) as Charlie Blanchard.
2009: Latest movie role at age 86 in ‘Jelly’ (2009) (completed) as Mr. Closure.

I saw him over 100 times at the Tonight Show from 1986-1992.

Baltimore Bob

Sad sad sad. But Ed had a long and pretty good life. It's too bad that the younger generations never got to see how truly funny and spontaneous the team was.

We never missed The Tonight Show, although I often fell asleep after the monologue (no VCRs back then!). What sticks in my memory the most is the day after the 1969 Northridge earthquake, which shook the bejezus out of the entire LA basin and beyond, including our home, and Johnny's reaction. He started by talking about all the macho comments he'd heard throughout the day from people saying "Ah, I wasn't scared at all...just a little ol' earthquake..." So of course, being Johnny Carson, we thought his next comment would be funny. Instead he said in all seriousness: "Anybody who says they weren't scared is full of shit." (And the word wasn't bleeped.)

Sad sad sad. But Ed had a long and pretty good life. It's too bad that the younger generations never got to see how truly funny and spontaneous the team was.

We never missed The Tonight Show, although I often fell asleep after the monologue (no VCRs back then!). What sticks in my memory the most is the day after the 1969 Northridge earthquake, which shook the bejezus out of the entire LA basin and beyond, including our home, and Johnny's reaction. He started by talking about all the macho comments he'd heard throughout the day from people saying "Ah, I wasn't scared at all...just a little ol' earthquake..." So of course, being Johnny Carson, we thought his next comment would be funny. Instead he said in all seriousness: "Anybody who says they weren't scared is full of shit." (And the word wasn't bleeped.)

I remember Carson making snide comments about his ex wife Joanna. Everytime he mentioned her, he got sued so he would make a smart ass comment and and then start cracking up. Ed would just start rubbing his head like here we go again..

He was funny but he was funnier with Ed beside him.

He's going to be cremated and kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch starting at noon today.

RIP, Ed. Hiyoooooooh!

Forum List

Back