Economy loses 33,000 jobs in September biggest drop in seven years

Living Paycheck to Paycheck is a Way of Life for 8 of 10 Full Time U.S. Workers, According to New CareerBuilder Survey. Study Highlights:

- 78 percent of U.S. workers live paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet.
- More than 1 in 4 workers do not set aside any savings each month.
- Nearly 3 in 4 workers say they are in debt today.
- More than half of workers think they will always be in debt.
- More than half of minimum wage workers say they have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

Thanks Obama!

Obama pushed to raise the minimum wage which Republicans nixed.

How about because raising the minimum wage is like a dog chasing it's tail. As wages go up, prices go up. As prices go up, we have to raise the minimum wage again. Then prices go up again.

Ever see a dog catch his tail? Neither have I!

As we've already debated on the USMB; Arizona raised the State minimum wage, prices haven't risen, and they went from number 3 to number 10 in poverty level.

Living Paycheck to Paycheck is a Way of Life for 8 of 10 Full Time U.S. Workers, According to New CareerBuilder Survey. Study Highlights:

- More than half of minimum wage workers say they have to work more than one job to make ends meet.

Thanks Obama!

How about because raising the minimum wage is like a dog chasing it's tail. As wages go up, prices go up. As prices go up, we have to raise the minimum wage again. Then prices go up again.

As we've already debated on the USMB; Arizona raised the State minimum wage, prices haven't risen, and they went from number 3 to number 10 in poverty level.

I guarantee prices have risen. Check the prices of pizza. There is a direct correlation between the minimum wage increasing and the price of pizza.

Thanks Obama!

I guarantee prices have risen. Check the prices of pizza. There is a direct correlation between the minimum wage increasing and the price of pizza.
The only guarantee is that you are a lying idiot!
fredgraph.png

At least I can read a chart and not draw a false conclusion!

The minimum wage rose from $6.50 to $7.25 or roughly 10% in 2010. The CPI went up an average of about 2.5% each year for 7 years.. 2.5% times 7 is about 17.5% and that doesn't even count the cumulative increases, which means from 2010 to 2017 was probably closer to 20%. That means when the minimum wage went up, the effect was double that on the CPI!

Never argue numbers with a math teacher. You are going to lose every time.

The minimum wage rose from $6.50 to $7.25 or roughly 10% in 2010. The CPI went up an average of about 2.5% each year for 7 years.. 2.5% times 7 is about 17.5% and that doesn't even count the cumulative increases, which means from 2010 to 2017 was probably closer to 20%. That means when the minimum wage went up, the effect was double that on the CPI!

Except the minimum wage change wa in July 2009. The all items consumer price index for July 2009 was 214.726.
In September 2017, it was 245.373. So redo your math and tell us the total change.

So your estimate was way way off...both the average and total.
Oh. And an increase of 2.5% a year for 7 years is NOT calculated as .025*7, but 1.025^7
The actual average was way less than 2.5%, as I already showed.

And i’m Really not sure how you are attributing the total average price change to the change in minimum wage.

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Except the minimum wage change wa in July 2009. The all items consumer price index for July 2009 was 214.726.
In September 2017, it was 245.373. So redo your math and tell us the total change.

Oh. And an increase of 2.5% a year for 7 years is NOT calculated as .025*7, but 1.025^7

And i’m Really not sure how you are attributing the total average price change to the change in minimum wage.

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to correct all of your math errors, but I will show you one. You said the average was less than 2.5%. I got that visually from the chart. 1.025^7 shows a growth rate of 19% across those years, which is more than the 17.5% I "guess'-timated.

I suggest not arguing with a math teacher. You apparently don't have the number sense required to pull it off.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to correct all of your math errors, but I will show you one. You said the average was less than 2.5%. I got that visually from the chart. 1.025^7 shows a growth rate of 19% across those years, which is more than the 17.5% I "guess'-timated.

I suggest not arguing with a math teacher. You apparently don't have the number sense required to pull it off.
July 2009, CPI was 214.726
September 2017 was 245.373
Math time: 245.373/214.726 = 1.1427
That’s a total change of 14.27% Less than your claim. And the average change per year? (8 years, not 7) 1.1427^(1/8)=1.0168 or 1.7% not 2.5.
You were using the wrong average and the wrong number of years.

See that’s actual math, not guesses.
It’s not exact since it’s 7 years and 2 months and it’s the seasonally adjusted numbers

And as for qualifications? I am an economist who was one of the people who calculated the CPI and spent over a decade working with price indexes, and helping teach it and other statistics to PhDs.

So while your general math skills may be better than mine, you cannot touch me on this math.

Where do you see a 2.5% increase?

And why do you ignore the minimum wage increases in 1991, 1997 & 1998, whe CPI dropped following those increases?

That chart clearly reveals there's no correlation between minimum wage hikes and CPI. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down -- which it does even when there is no increase to the minimum wage. You're also ignoring all of the other factors which affect CPI.

That’s a total change of 14.27% Less than your claim. And the average change per year? (8 years, not 7) 1.1427^(1/8)=1.0168 or 1.7% not 2.5.

It’s not exact since it’s 7 years and 2 months and it’s the seasonally adjusted numbers

And as for qualifications? I am an economist who was one of the people who calculated the CPI and spent over a decade working with price indexes, and helping teach it and other statistics to PhDs.

So while your general math skills may be better than mine, you cannot touch me on this math.

No wonder you economists are stupid enough to think that raising labor costs have no impact on prices! You are simply dumber than dirt.

BTW, using numbers not in the chart and making numerous math errors, (which you did yet AGAIN) does not speak well of your claimed profession.

With skills such as that, I believe you are an economist like I am the King of Romania.

You are dismissed with prejudice. Have a nice life and get somebody else to handle your finances! :D

No wonder you economists are stupid enough to think that raising labor costs have no impact on prices! You are simply dumber than dirt.

BTW, using numbers not in the chart and making numerous math errors, (which you did yet AGAIN) does not speak well of your claimed profession.
I'm using the actual numbers from BLS on which the chart was based: All items in U.S. city average, all urban consumers, seasonally adjusted
upload_2017-11-8_9-10-55.png

September 2017 = 246.373
July 2009 = 214.726
246.373/214.726= 1.147383
Average yearly change over 8 years is 1.147383^(1/8) = 1.017334 Your eyeballing of 2.5% is way off.

But if you want to be more accurate, we switch from seasonally adjusted to not seasonally adjusted data and look at the July-July numbers since July 2009 when the minimum wage increased:
12 month percentage change, All items in U.S. city average, all urban consumers, not seasonally adjusted
upload_2017-11-8_9-17-8.png

(1.2+3.6+1.4+2+2+0.2+0.8+1.7)/8=1.625

The problem is that the chart you were looking at is the 12 month change for the same month in the previous year. So you were looking at July to July, August to August, September to September, etc.

Last edited:

I'm using the actual numbers from BLS on which the chart was based: All items in U.S. city average, all urban consumers, seasonally adjusted
View attachment 159278
September 2017 = 246.373
July 2009 = 214.726
Average yearly change over 8 years is 1.147383^(1/8) = 1.017334 Your eyeballing of 2.5% is way off.

But if you want to be more accurate, we switch from seasonally adjusted to not seasonally adjusted data and look at the July-July numbers since July 2009 when the minimum wage increased:
12 month percentage change, All items in U.S. city average, all urban consumers, not seasonally adjusted
View attachment 159281
(1.2+3.6+1.4+2+2+0.2+0.8+1.7)/8=1.1625

The problem is that the chart you were looking at is the 12 month change for the same month in the previous year. So you were looking at July to July, August to August, September to September, etc.

I didn't supply the chart. You are now on ignore for incompetency.

View attachment 159278
September 2017 = 246.373
July 2009 = 214.726

View attachment 159281

Dayam, he smoked you! :ack-1:

View attachment 159278
September 2017 = 246.373
July 2009 = 214.726

View attachment 159281

Why would it matter who supplied the chart? The data in the chart were correct, you just didn't understand what they meant.

The jobs market dipped into the negative for the first time since 2010

Hurricanes will hit jobs numbers hard

Jobs numbers feel the effects of hurricanes Harvey and Irma

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...canes-harvey-irma-bog-down-job-gains-says-adp

The Restaurant Industry Lost 105,000 Jobs in September

Economic Losses from Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria Estimated Over $50 Billion, Economist Says

Yes, the hurricanes affected the jobs report. How do you think people can work when their places of business are under water, or water is too high to get through to get there, or they have no power? Their homes were flooded, vehicles were flooded, public transportation stopped due to flooding, businesses roofs missing, supplies can’t get through. I could go on and on, having lived it.

The jobs market dipped into the negative for the first time since 2010

Hurricanes will hit jobs numbers hard

Jobs numbers feel the effects of hurricanes Harvey and Irma

https://www.usnews.com/news/economy...canes-harvey-irma-bog-down-job-gains-says-adp

The Restaurant Industry Lost 105,000 Jobs in September

Economic Losses from Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria Estimated Over $50 Billion, Economist Says

Yes, the hurricanes affected the jobs report. How do you think people can work when their places of business are under water, or water is too high to get through to get there, or they have no power? Their homes were flooded, vehicles were flooded, public transportation stopped due to flooding, businesses roofs missing, supplies can’t get through. I could go on and on, having lived it.
And that's not counting the fires in California either! Or the one in Oregon.

Civilian Labor Force
Sept 2017 161,146,000
Oct 2017 - 160,381,000
Jobs Lost . = - 765,000
US population grew 189,000 last month
= 954,000 jobs lost
Thank you Dumbass Trump!
Yup! - Trump lost a million jobs in 1 month & Repubtards make excuses! How long is it going to take to bring back another million jobs above population growth just to get back to even?

Civilian Labor Force
Sept 2017 161,146,000
Oct 2017 - 160,381,000
Jobs Lost . = - 765,000
US population grew 189,000 last month
= 954,000 jobs lost
Thank you Dumbass Trump!
Yup! - Trump lost a million jobs in 1 month & Repubtards make excuses! How long is it going to take to bring back another million jobs above population growth just to get back to even?
Two hurricanes and a fire are hardly excuses idiot! Kind of hard to work a job when the god damn buildings no longer exist!

Two hurricanes and a fire are hardly excuses idiot! Kind of hard to work a job when the god damn buildings no longer exist!
Don't you have to hire people to clear the damage and rebuild the buildings?
So it is a wash!

Trump economy is losing! The USA lost a Million Jobs last month!

Boeing just lost a $77 billion in contract to Europe Airbus & Trump blessed European Bayer buying Monsanto! Biggest Losses in History! Socialist Europe is kicking the shit out of Trump economy!

Forum List

Back