Economy continuing to collapse : trucking volume is collapsing and will be going down

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
Economy continuing to collapse : trucking volume is collapsing and will be going down

Trucking Volume Collapses, Falls Most Month To Month Since March 2009

Tonnage fell by 2.7% from July to August, according to the American Trucking Association.

That's the biggest month over month fall since March 2009.

The chief economist at the ATA, Bob Costelo, says this slowdown was expected and that it should be slowing further with the economy for the remainder of the year.

The two times that the Baltic Dry Index went up in the past two years were directly related to the Chinese stimulus program. They spent over a Trillion Dollars boosting their economy by buying lots and lots and lots of raw product at discount. It was shipped to China and stored most anywhere for future use.

Their stimulus program (Even though their manufacturing capacity is half that of the US) was almost twice our stimulus in the same time.

In some of your futures you will see a move back towards localized production and manufacture.

That is a pipe dream of democrats. It will not happen in our lifetime. Large container ships are extremely efficient. Far more fuel is used transporting from port to your Wal-Mart store or driving to Wal-Mart to purchase the item than was used to ship it from China.

Until China is forced to impose tough environmental mandates & not fill the oceans & air with garbage, nothing will change.

In some of your futures you will see a move back towards localized production and manufacture.

That is a pipe dream of democrats. It will not happen in our lifetime. Large container ships are extremely efficient. Far more fuel is used transporting from port to your Wal-Mart store or driving to Wal-Mart to purchase the item than was used to ship it from China.

Until China is forced to impose tough environmental mandates & not fill the oceans & air with garbage, nothing will change.

It is a coming fact not a pipe dream.
As energy gets more expensive and scarcer in oil at least we WILL move back more towards local economies.

the problem for the USA is that it was designed and constructed around abundant cheap energy.

It is a coming fact not a pipe dream.
As energy gets more expensive and scarcer in oil at least we WILL move back more towards local economies.

the problem for the USA is that it was designed and constructed around abundant cheap energy.
Your commute to work or store will suffer more than ocean & rail transport. Unless you make & grow the things you want or need within walking distance, this will not happen. Make it yourself or buy it from China, that is your only choice. If anyone thinks they can open a business to make things here to sell they are deluded. It is far to expensive to manufacture here & to many rules, regs & taxes. Every day new companies relocate manufacturing to China.

Transporting goods is very energy efficient. Transporting people in the USA is not energy efficient. The population will move to the cities & close to their jobs, school & shopping long before manufacturing will return to the USA. It is more energy efficient to shop on-line & order something from China & have it delivered to your door than for the average American to drive their fat ass to the store & back.

The USA is a innovative, service & consumer economy. Dumbocrats need to quit dreaming of bring back jobs pounding rivets in a dirty manufacturing plant that Americans don't want in their back yard & won't work at anyway.

Last edited:
Anyone know what percentage of cost of imported Chinese goods is due to transportation costs?

I am talking about finished good shipping from factory to retail establishment. Not just to a US distributor.

Of course you could add in the transportation costs for the materials used to make the finished good for sale.

Anyone know what percentage of cost of imported Chinese goods is due to transportation costs?

I am talking about finished good shipping from factory to retail establishment. Not just to a US distributor.

Of course you could add in the transportation costs for the materials used to make the finished good for sale.

Only the shipping cost from China to the US matter, as if we made the stuff here, We would still have to ship it all around the country.

A massive Container ship is by far the Most efficient means of cargo transportation on earth. Nothing else can move so much for so cheap.

A container shipped from Asia costs about $2000 headed from there to here and sometimes as little as $900 return trip. A lot of em get sent back empty.

Trucking that container from LA to Chicago costs more than crossing the ocean. Which is why Buffet bought Burlington Northern. Trains are the cheapest way to transport cargo across land. But still more costly than ocean going ships.

To ship cargo from Shanghai, China to Long Beach, California takes about 72 gallons of bunker fuel per loaded 40 ton 40"x8'x8' ISO shipping container on a fully loaded large efficient ship.

That means 1.8 gallon per ton or 35.55 cubic foot of goods per gallon.

If oil gets to expensive these ships could easily run on nuclear as opposed to fossil fuel.

The average American waste far more fuel just driving to work every day than it takes to supply them with everything from China.

This is bad news to me...

My Class A with all endorsements CDL is up for renewal, this year, and it's going to cost about $60, IF I drop my haz-mat endorsement.

It was one of the Plan B's that Dear and I have sort of counted upon, 'cuz if all else fails, we could always hit the road, again, you know?

We came IN from the road when we started seeing some of the UNSAFE practices that were going on,

and because we got sick of Seeing America from it's FREEWAYS.

<sigh>

Well, maybe I'll just forgo ANY DL for a bit, and act dumb if accosted.

To ship cargo from Shanghai, China to Long Beach, California takes about 72 gallons of bunker fuel per loaded 40 ton 40"x8'x8' ISO shipping container on a fully loaded large efficient ship.

If oil gets to expensive these ships could easily run on nuclear as opposed to fossil fuel.

The average American waste far more fuel just driving to work every day than it takes to supply them with everything from China.

Volume at Long Beach collapsed in August. Don't know if its come back.

Ohh I agree the ships are efficient, but they do also cost money to buy and operate aside from fuel. There are other transportation costs. Loading, unloading, crew, etc.

Ohh I agree the ships are efficient, but they do also cost money to buy and operate aside from fuel. There are other transportation costs. Loading, unloading, crew, etc.

economies of scale favor bigger vehicles moving freight. Trucks are less efficient than trains which are less efficient than ocean going freighters.

It takes a day to load and again to unload a container ship which may carry 600 semi loads across the Pacific in 7 days, and it only takes a 20 man crew. The ship may cost a LOT of money but it doesn't cost as much as 600 semi trucks. And it is more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Useage of even those semi trucks will diminish as energy gets more expensive. Industry and services will have more of a decentralization push to minimize transportation costs.

Who all has thought this through to a logical conclusion of No Fucking FOOD?

Are you figuring out how YOU can feed yourself, withOUT grocery stores?

RUB those brain cells together, PLEASE!

It's doable, but you're going to have to be able to be responsible for YOU, and your life...

p.s. My feral cats? Are NOT "Up For Grabs" ...

I have some good internet friends that went underground, last year.

If you'd like some links for How To,

PM me.

It's going to get REAL, in a heartbeat, and if you aren't even SEMI-prepared?

It's already all over for you.

Sad ~ and I DO grieve about this ~ but true.

Forum List

Back