Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs, but UE ticks up to 8.3%

Unemployment doesn't go up when people drop out of the labor force. That's perfectly backwards.

Unemployment goes up as people either re-enter the labor force but are unable to find work OR the number of people in the labor force remains the same but the number employed goes down. Your problem is that you don't understand the link that you, yourself provided.

Actually I do understand the links, not link, perfectly.

The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently collecting UE benefits now than last month. Its simple...if we had 1000 people in the workforce the data shows that now 83 instead of 82 are collecting unemployment.

You could also affect the numbers by changing the size of the workforce, which the links say happened.

Last edited:
Unemployment doesn't go up when people drop out of the labor force. That's perfectly backwards.

Unemployment goes up as people either re-enter the labor force but are unable to find work OR the number of people in the labor force remains the same but the number employed goes down. Your problem is that you don't understand the link that you, yourself provided.

I'm just trying to figure out why they think someone who stops looking for work because they went back to school, retired or are focusing on family, that somehow that's a bad thing.

I never said that at all. I merely posted the links to the actual nubmers everyone is basing their rhetoric off of.

There are many examples of the Unemployment Level going up and the Labor Force going down and other cases of the Unemployment Rate going up and the Labor Force going down. Both happened this month....Unemployment went up 45,000, but Labor Force dropped 150,000

The Labor Force is a dependent variable...it's just the sum of Employed and Unemployed. It goes down when one of the two goes down by more than the other goes up.

hence why I provided the two links, I was wrong to assume the poster cared enough to actually look into it themselves.

The Employment to Population Ratio took a Major Nosedive!!!!!!!!

fredgraph.png

The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently collecting UE benefits now than last month. Its simple...if we had 1000 people in the workforce the data shows that now 83 instead of 82 are collecting unemployment.

You have been told and shown links many many times that the Unemployment rate is not and has never been based on people receiving UI benefits.

Of the current 12,794,000 unemployed, 1,417,000 were on temporary layoff (I could be wrong but I didn't think those were usually eligible for UI), 1,319,000 were temp workers who finished their job (usually not eligible either), 878,000 quit (almost never eligible), 3,380,000 were re-entering the Labor Force (definitely not UI recipients) and 1,311,00 have never held a job. Source: Table A-11 of the Employment Situation How are you claiming that only UI recipients are counted?

Let's go even further....the reference week for July was the week of July 8-14. During that week, DOL reported a total of 5,964,553 people receiving benefits from all programs. How are you claiming that 5,964,553 = 12,794,000????

And Americans are concerned about Chik-Fil-A. Go figure.

MSNBC has spent a ton of time on such nonsense
and don't go anywhere near the real issues facing Americans.
They don't want to have to cover for Obama every nite.
So they follow the WH directive and just spend every nite attacking
Romney over a whole lot of stupid shit.:confused:

Long story short, this is the worst economy since Roosevelt's New Deal fucked us up for 8 years.

You mean that period where we experienced some of the fastest growth in US peacetime history? When unemployment fell by a third?

That period, Frank?

So now we've got a liberal who has no idea the New Deal was the the Great Depression? Was Hitler our friend too???

Last edited:
From the wonderful world of counter intuitive claptrap
deadhorse.gif
...I have said it before when the rate dropped on lower job creation than this, and now at 163K, the best month of the last 2 Quarters,it ticks up....

yes yes, seasonally this, drop off that, massage this...whatever add to the fact that they appear to have no idea what to expect , as this was a huge leap over "expectations".

So that seasonal gain and the 195.000 :eusa_think:

The report showed that the actual amount of Americans working dropped by 195,000, with the net job gain resulting primarily from seasonal adjustments. The birth-death model, which approximates net job growth from newly added or closed businesses, added 52,000 to the total.

snip-
The average work week held steady at 34.5 hours while average hourly earnings rose 2 cents to $23.52.

Economy Creates 163,000 New Jobs but Rate Rises to 8.3% - US Business News - CNBC

and....

WASHINGTON—U.S. employers stepped up hiring in July as the economy continued its uneven recovery heading into this fall's presidential election.

U.S. payrolls increased by a seasonally adjusted 163,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday, but the unemployment rate, obtained by a separate survey of U.S. households, ticked up one-tenth of a percent to 8.3%.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires expected a gain of 95,000 in payrolls and an 8.2% jobless rate.

snip-

June and May payroll numbers were revised with only a small net effect—June payrolls rose 64,000 compared with the initially reported 80,000, and May was up 87,000 versus an earlier estimate of 77,000.

more at-

Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs - WSJ.com

The Seasonally adjusted numbers have never been higher. And the BD adjustment in the prior month was only 5k, one tenth of this months.

You have been told and shown links many many times that the Unemployment rate is not and has never been based on people receiving UI benefits.

Of the current 12,794,000 unemployed, 1,417,000 were on temporary layoff (I could be wrong but I didn't think those were usually eligible for UI), 1,319,000 were temp workers who finished their job (usually not eligible either), 878,000 quit (almost never eligible), 3,380,000 were re-entering the Labor Force (definitely not UI recipients) and 1,311,00 have never held a job. Source: Table A-11 of the Employment Situation How are you claiming that only UI recipients are counted?

Let's go even further....the reference week for July was the week of July 8-14. During that week, DOL reported a total of 5,964,553 people receiving benefits from all programs. How are you claiming that 5,964,553 = 12,794,000????

I didn't claim that at all.

I should have said considered unemployed instead of receiving unemployment benefits is all. Just mispoke a tiny bit, the rest of what I said still is unchanged by that.

Let me fix it for you since you couldn't see it on your own.

The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently considered unemployed now than last month. Its simple...if we had 1000 people in the workforce the data shows that now 83 instead of 82 are considered unemployed.

You could also affect the numbers by changing the size of the workforce, which the links say happened.

The Employment to Population Ratio took a Major Nosedive!!!!!!!!

fredgraph.png

2 tenths of a percentage point is a major nosedive? It's not even statistically significant. The "real" change was somewher between -0.3 and +0.1 percentage points.

The household survey showed a 196K drop in employment. That is a leading indicator of the payroll survey. Also a drop in the employment to population is very bad along with a rise in unemployment rate. Jobs are going off the cliff again.

I'm just trying to figure out why they think someone who stops looking for work because they went back to school, retired or are focusing on family, that somehow that's a bad thing.

because they had no alternative?

Well, you did: "The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently collecting UE benefits now than last month. " It seems you mispoke and that's not what you meant to say, but you still said it. I can't read your mind to know what you really meant, I can only go off of what you actually write.

The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently considered unemployed now than last month. Its simple...if we had 1000 people in the workforce the data shows that now 83 instead of 82 are considered unemployed.
True enough.

Not quite. Nobody can change the size of the Labor Force...it's just the sum of Employed and Unemployed. It does change, but nobody is making it change. For July, Employed went down 195,000 and Unemployed went up 45,000 so the labor force went down 150,000 (45,000 - 195,000)

Last edited:
From the wonderful world of counter intuitive claptrap
deadhorse.gif
...I have said it before when the rate dropped on lower job creation than this, and now at 163K, the best month of the last 2 Quarters,it ticks up....

yes yes, seasonally this, drop off that, massage this...whatever add to the fact that they appear to have no idea what to expect , as this was a huge leap over "expectations".

So that seasonal gain and the 195.000 :eusa_think:

The report showed that the actual amount of Americans working dropped by 195,000, with the net job gain resulting primarily from seasonal adjustments. The birth-death model, which approximates net job growth from newly added or closed businesses, added 52,000 to the total.

snip-
The average work week held steady at 34.5 hours while average hourly earnings rose 2 cents to $23.52.

Economy Creates 163,000 New Jobs but Rate Rises to 8.3% - US Business News - CNBC

and....

WASHINGTON—U.S. employers stepped up hiring in July as the economy continued its uneven recovery heading into this fall's presidential election.

U.S. payrolls increased by a seasonally adjusted 163,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department said Friday, but the unemployment rate, obtained by a separate survey of U.S. households, ticked up one-tenth of a percent to 8.3%.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires expected a gain of 95,000 in payrolls and an 8.2% jobless rate.

snip-

June and May payroll numbers were revised with only a small net effect—June payrolls rose 64,000 compared with the initially reported 80,000, and May was up 87,000 versus an earlier estimate of 77,000.

more at-

Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs - WSJ.com

without looking at the Fox "News" link I would say they are refering to private sector jobs, state governments are continuing to cut jobs, especially red states.

Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs - WSJ.com[/url]

We could add 10 million jobs if the liberals would ship the illegals home with a note pinned on their chests saying they could have prosperity and jobs in their own countries if they would switch to Republican capitalism.

because they had no alternative?

Exactly. This horrible economy forced them into those decisions instead of allowing them to do what they wanted, go back to work.

Well, you did: "The 8.3% is the result of a very slightly higher percentage of the workforce currently collecting UE benefits now than last month. " It seems you mispoke and that's not what you meant to say, but you still said it. I can't read your mind to know what you really meant, I can only go off of what you actually write.

True enough.

Not quite. Nobody can change the size of the Labor Force...it's just the sum of Employed and Unemployed. It does change, but nobody is making it change. For July, Employed went down 195,000 and Unemployed went up 45,000 so the labor force went down 150,000 (45,000 - 195,000)

Pinqy the size of the overall labor force shrunk, as you just said, which is why even though we added some new jobs the number of those considered unemployed actually went up as a percentage of the labor force.

Pinqy the size of the overall labor force shrunk, as you just said, which is why even though we added some new jobs the number of those considered unemployed actually went up as a percentage of the labor force.
Absolutely true. But you wrote "You could also affect the numbers by changing the size of the workforce" which is untrue. You can't change the size of the workforce, it's dependent variable. Some have implied (and I have no idea if that was your intent or not) that "the government" has artificially changed/manipulated the size of the labor force in order to lower the UE rate. That's not possible and I was trying to address the difference between "changed" and "was changed"; the latter implying someone causing it to change.

Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs - WSJ.com[/url]

We could add 10 million jobs if the liberals would ship the illegals home with a note pinned on their chests saying they could have prosperity and jobs in their own countries if they would switch to Republican capitalism.

They are self-deporting as we speak.

they are still standing under the pick up signs each day in my towm!!
As I said just that treasonous liberal act alone could create 10 million new jobs and end this depression

Forum List

Back