Economy Adds 163,000 Jobs, but UE ticks up to 8.3%

Long story short, this is the worst economy since Roosevelt's New Deal fucked us up for 8 years and for the same reasons: we have a Marxist ideologue in the White House who think bureaucrats in Washington better understand business than businessmen

Unemployment doesn't go up when people drop out of the labor force. That's perfectly backwards.

Unemployment goes up as people either re-enter the labor force but are unable to find work OR the number of people in the labor force remains the same but the number employed goes down. Your problem is that you don't understand the link that you, yourself provided.

I'm just trying to figure out why they think someone who stops looking for work because they went back to school, retired or are focusing on family, that somehow that's a bad thing.

Idiot

Times are so good people are going back to school and retiring.

Idiot.

Sometimes I think the Republicans/conservatives focus on Obama is a waste of their time.

With UE over 8% and Obama claiming his ideas worked, why waste money campaigning agaisnt him? Should not the Right focus more on individual senate and state races.

I guess the right is trying to keep people from looking into Obama's eyes? Yep, they are a bit hypnotic.

Unemployment doesn't go up when people drop out of the labor force. That's perfectly backwards.
There are many examples of the Unemployment Level going up and the Labor Force going down and other cases of the Unemployment Rate going up and the Labor Force going down. Both happened this month....Unemployment went up 45,000, but Labor Force dropped 150,000

The Labor Force is a dependent variable...it's just the sum of Employed and Unemployed. It goes down when one of the two goes down by more than the other goes up.

Sometimes I think the Republicans/conservatives focus on Obama is a waste of their time.

With UE over 8% and Obama claiming his ideas worked, why waste money campaigning agaisnt him? Should not the Right focus more on individual senate and state races.

I guess the right is trying to keep people from looking into Obama's eyes? Yep, they are a bit hypnotic.

^^^^^

As good as an endorsement of Obama that can be mustered. :lol:

Unemployment goes up as people either re-enter the labor force but are unable to find work OR the number of people in the labor force remains the same but the number employed goes down. Your problem is that you don't understand the link that you, yourself provided.

I'm just trying to figure out why they think someone who stops looking for work because they went back to school, retired or are focusing on family, that somehow that's a bad thing.

Idiot

Idiot.

Frank, you're the only person I see being angry about people retiring.

Well, if we're going to get technical, let's throw in margins of error as well.....At 95% confidence the rate went from between 7.976% and 8.457% to between 8.012% and 8.495%

While true that the change was not statistically significant, the numbers are rounded for a reason and it's ridiculous to stretch out the meaningless decimal places to make a political point. Since the margin of error is 0.24 percentage points, drilling down to the thousandeths of a percentage point is ridiculous.

I'll bet he wouldn't make the same distinction if it went down by such a small amount.

Idiot

Idiot.

Well, our population is growing and this means that new people aren't getting jobs. To much red tape?:eusa_shifty:

There are many examples of the Unemployment Level going up and the Labor Force going down and other cases of the Unemployment Rate going up and the Labor Force going down. Both happened this month....Unemployment went up 45,000, but Labor Force dropped 150,000

The Labor Force is a dependent variable...it's just the sum of Employed and Unemployed. It goes down when one of the two goes down by more than the other goes up.
Right, but ceteris paribus the size of the labor force going down would lead to the unemployment rate going down - right? Since the number of employed folks would now be a larger portion of the total labor force.

Idiot

Idiot.

Well, our population is growing and this means that new people aren't getting jobs. To much red tape?:eusa_shifty:

No, too many older workers who can't retire because their retirement plans were trashed in 2008. This is why we should be happy about people retiring and leaving the work force. The more that happens, the more younger workers can get in.

Right, but ceteris paribus the size of the labor force going down would lead to the unemployment rate going down - right? Since the number of employed folks would now be a larger portion of the total labor force.

Unemployment Rate = Unemployed/(Employed + Unemployed). The Labor Force going down means that the sum of Employed and Unemployed is lower, meaning either both went down or one went down by more than the other went up. A lower denominator usually means the percent will be higher, unless the numerator goes down by a larger percent. So...If Employment stays the same, and Unemployment drops due to people no longer looking for work, then yes, the UE rate would drop.

But if Employment drops by more than Unemployment then the UE rate would go up.

Long story short, this is the worst economy since Roosevelt's New Deal fucked us up for 8 years.

You mean that period where we experienced some of the fastest growth in US peacetime history? When unemployment fell by a third?

That period, Frank?

Yes Sir!

Why even though the Federal Reserve put back the money they sucked out of the economy, unemployment averaged 20% until Hitler conquered France.

Is 20% unemployment for nearly 8 full years your definition of Success?

No, too many older workers who can't retire because their retirement plans were trashed in 2008. This is why we should be happy about people retiring and leaving the work force. The more that happens, the more younger workers can get in.

Don't be as stupid as you, people aren't retiring in greater number because the economy is so good.

Jackass

Don't be as stupid as you, people aren't retiring in greater number because the economy is so good.

Jackass

I never said they were.

You know, I wonder if your problem is that you have terrible reading skills.

Forum List

Back