Economics lession For Liberials

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Jroc, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,538
    I heard this on Levin again today, this is a great essay on how our economy works, even a liberal should be able to understand its simplicity: Read the whole piece if you haven't read it, this is only a teaser.

n....

I, Pencil | Foundation for Economic Education

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,554
    if it was on levin, it's not worth bothering with. *shrug*

but if it's simplistic, it explains why it would appeal to rightwingnuts. :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Jroc

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,538
    So you would be that closed minded as to not even bother to read it? I must say I'm disappointed you my friend.:confused:

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,795
    I thought all the pencils were made in China now?

5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,554
    why would i waste my time reading something that's BS?

6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,554
    and therein lies the real economic lesson.

7. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Anyone with a brain knows that the whining, screaming maniac with a girl's soprano voice Levin is a DICK!. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,795
    Hmmm, learn some global economics right wingers.

Friday, August 12, 2005
    US Pencil Imports Continue Growth
    The latest update to US import statistics for wood cased pencils support the growth trend experienced for some years now. Over the past 5 years through 2004 pencil imports into the US have increased at an average annual rate of 6.0% on a dollar value basis and of 7.8% on a unit volume basis. This is reflects an average annual reduction of 1.8% in import prices over this period. In total 2004 unit volume imports were 17.6 million gross (this 2.5 billion pieces for the year or almost 9 pencils per capita).

Our own estimates indicate that imported pencils now represent approximately two-thirds of the total US annual consumption on a unit volume basis. We estimate that the share of US manufactured pencils has dropped from around 50% of the market just three or four years ago.

Timberlines: US Pencil Imports Continue Growth

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,795
    Lesson 2 on the economics of pencils for right wingers.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005
    Pencil Anti-Dumping Duties: Primer
    The following is the first of a series of Timberlines articles to be posted in the coming weeks discussing the impact various world trade issues and practices have upon the Pencil Industry.

Import and export duties, value added taxes, export credits or export VAT rebates, fixed currency exchange rates are all examples of factors that impact trade flows around the world. Such meddling with what “free market thinkers” would call free and unrestricted trade is a common practice from nation to nation. Certainly the World Trade Organization and other regional trading block agreements such as NAFTA, various EU agreements, APEC, ASEAN and MERCOSUR work to liberalize such trade barriers worldwide. However, there is clearly a level of relative national and regional competitive advantage to be gained when countries set their policies regarding these market influencing instruments. Often the duty policies of one or more countries for given products are set as retaliation for or to correct perceived unfair trade practices of another particular country.

The pencil industry is no exception to this situation and a number of these market “interventions” or “correction factors” (depending upon where you come out on the free trade scale) exist within our industry. Today’s topic of anti-dumping duties is just one such example. Currently, several countries worldwide have implemented incremental Anti-Dumping duties specifically placed upon imported Chinese pencils as a result of lobbying from local pencil manufacturer groups. These anti-dumping duties are imposed over and above any normal import duty pencils may be subject to. Among such countries with Anti-Dumping duties are the United States, Mexico and Turkey. I expect there may be some others of which I am not currently aware. For these three countries, anti-dumping duties range from just over 100% to over 400% of the invoice value of the pencils.

Here in the US the current country wide anti-dumping deposit rate for pencils exported from China to the USA is 114.9%. The importer of record is required to “deposit” funds into an escrow type account upon importation of the pencils. This rate is applicable to all imported Chinese pencils, unless a specific Chinese exporter/producer has gone through an administrative review process with the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) to have their company audited for a reduced rate. However, this is an expensive and very complicated audit process and as such not many Chinese companies pursue reduced dumping margin rates. Currently, four Chinese entities or combined manufacturer/export company groups (including our own subsidiary facility) have received reduced dumping deposit rates ranging from 0% (ours) to around 23%. In effect these companies have demonstrated that they are not dumping pencils or should not be at the China-wide rate for the most recently reviewed period. Under DOC rules the country wide rate is set by the highest rate determined for any given Chinese company that ever requested a review by DOC. As such the original rate of around 53% was increased to the current 114.9% level a few years back.

Timberlines: Pencil Anti-Dumping Duties: Primer

10. Jroc

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,538
    How do you know if it's BS if you don't even read it? This essay was originally written when Levin was about a year old..I just heard it read on Levin, he has nothing to do with the piece ,I shouldn't even have mentioned him