Economic inequality is holding back economy

ipaps

Dec 14, 2011
Hi, I'm from Taiwan. I don't really have a solid background in Economics, nevertheless here's what I want to say.

I my opinion. Economic inequality is the major cause of current economic regression.

First, I want to point out that investment itself doesn't contribute to real economy. Solid economy depends on consumption. That is to say, one cannot invest in something and make money without consumers buying the end product.

What happens when the majority of GDP goes to a few people and corporations?

The result is that, while the majority of people have their ability to consume reduced, the rich and the corporations, who are unable to spend all the money, invest the excess money somewhere in hope to make more. This means that interest rate will be low because there's too much idle money (not helping consumption) around. Reduced consumption means declined demand for products (not because people have less needs, they just can't afford to satisfy them), which then create a surplus of man power, resulting in high unemployment.

This is bad because high unemployment further make consumers poorer, reduce consumption power and demand even more.

In my country, corporations usually raise price when material price rise, but almost never lower it for any reason. Worker's salary is forever thinning out by inflation. Salary rise never keeps up, for the reason that industry will move to other country. Further more when corporations needs to cut cost in hard times, they usually look to workers first. This is really imbalanced and is, imo, the main reason behind the growing gap between the rich and the poor.

My government is doing little in either easing inflation or taking care of labors. On one hand they kind of think people can't find jobs because they lack competency, on the other hand they spend tax money lavishly, sometimes ridiculously just to digest budget, saying that government spending can boost economy automatically. I don't think so because the majority of those money still goes to corporations.

To summarize, I think corporations cannot make money without consumers buying their products, yet their typical behaviors are thinning out consumers ability to purchase. If the government(s) don't make efforts to stop this feedback, economy will be bad.

Hi, I'm from Taiwan. I don't really have a solid background in Economics, nevertheless here's what I want to say.

I my opinion. Economic inequality is the major cause of current economic regression.

First, I want to point out that investment itself doesn't contribute to real economy. Solid economy depends on consumption. That is to say, one cannot invest in something and make money without consumers buying the end product.

The result is that, while the majority of people have their ability to consume reduced, the rich and the corporations, who are unable to spend all the money, invest the excess money somewhere in hope to make more. This means that interest rate will be low because there's too much idle money (not helping consumption) around. Reduced consumption means declined demand for products (not because people have less needs, they just can't afford to satisfy them), which then create a surplus of man power, resulting in high unemployment.

This is bad because high unemployment further make consumers poorer, reduce consumption power and demand even more.

In my country, corporations usually raise price when material price rise, but almost never lower it for any reason. Worker's salary is forever thinning out by inflation. Salary rise never keeps up, for the reason that industry will move to other country. Further more when corporations needs to cut cost in hard times, they usually look to workers first. This is really imbalanced and is, imo, the main reason behind the growing gap between the rich and the poor.

My government is doing little in either easing inflation or taking care of labors. On one hand they kind of think people can't find jobs because they lack competency, on the other hand they spend tax money lavishly, sometimes ridiculously just to digest budget, saying that government spending can boost economy automatically. I don't think so because the majority of those money still goes to corporations.

To summarize, I think corporations cannot make money without consumers buying their products, yet their typical behaviors are thinning out consumers ability to purchase. If the government(s) don't make efforts to stop this feedback, economy will be bad.

I think you are basically right, ipaps.

I'll go a step further and suggest to you that as it regards the US economy, it was the steady erosion of working class purchasing power that set us up for the great real esates meltdown that lead to the great BANKSTERS' meltdown, that is leading us (I think) in a worldwide DEPRESSION.

If one wants to have a consumer drivens capitalst economy, the balance in wealth between the investment class and the consuming classes cannot get too far out of balance before that imbalance causes problems in the workings of the market.

The USA has been pursuing SUPPLY SIDE economic and tax policies for AT LEAST the last 30 years and that imbalance in wealth has screwed the world's economy.

...I don't really have a solid background in Economics, nevertheless here's what I want to say...
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your ideas. You say you don't know economics very well. When you don't know about something it's better to ask questions. After you learn about it then you'll have "something to say" that will make much more sense.

Equality refers to position before the law.

A nation can have economic equality or it can have prosperity.

Not both.

I think you are basically right, ipaps.

I'll go a step further and suggest to you that as it regards the US economy, it was the steady erosion of working class purchasing power that set us up for the great real esates meltdown that lead to the great BANKSTERS' meltdown, that is leading us (I think) in a worldwide DEPRESSION.

If one wants to have a consumer drivens capitalst economy, the balance in wealth between the investment class and the consuming classes cannot get too far out of balance before that imbalance causes problems in the workings of the market.

The USA has been pursuing SUPPLY SIDE economic and tax policies for AT LEAST the last 30 years and that imbalance in wealth has screwed the world's economy.

1. "it was the steady erosion of working class purchasing power..."
Bogus.

a. “…in 1967 only one in 25 families earned an income of $100,000 or more in real income, whereas now, one in six do. The percentage of families that have an income of more than $75,000 a year has tripled from 9% to 27%. But it's not just the rich that are getting richer. Virtually every income group has been lifted by the tide of growth in recent decades.” Great American Dream Machine

2. "...that set us up for the great real esates meltdown that lead to the great BANKSTERS' meltdown,..."
Bogus-er.

Government deciding who should have homes is the cause, starting with FDR's GSE's and right through Carter (CRA) and Clinton's HUD policies....and blocking of reform by Frank and Dodd....
...purely coincidental that all of the above are Democrats.

3. "... the balance in wealth between the investment class and the consuming classes cannot get too far out of balance..."
Bogus-est.

Balance???
None of your business how much another makes.
In America, the more you work, the more you earn.
Period.

...Balance??? None of your business how much another makes. In America, the more you work, the more you earn. Period.
That's your opinion.

OK, it's my opinion too but lots of people on this thread want total state control of allocating resources. It's like my saying that if IPAPS doesn't know about economics then he should ask before telling everyone about it. My opinion only; lots of people (especially those who like state control of the economy) don't know anything and keep talking anyway.

...Balance??? None of your business how much another makes. In America, the more you work, the more you earn. Period.
That's your opinion.

OK, it's my opinion too but lots of people on this thread want total state control of allocating resources. It's like my saying that if IPAPS doesn't know about economics then he should ask before telling everyone about it. My opinion only; lots of people (especially those who like state control of the economy) don't know anything and keep talking anyway.

That's why we're here....
....we have to be the Mother Teresa of economic education.

(Oops...was that blasphemous???)

Reality forces me to accept that very few ever benefit from our 'help' here. Seems that so many spout off about things they don't have a clue about, but hey if they were banned then we'd have hardly anyone to talk to.

Plus, you can't buy entertainment like this...

To suggest that investment has nothing to do with contributing to economic growth is wrong IMHO. Job creation in any country primarily comes from new businesses, which in turn requires capital investment. Banks are not going to fund any business venture without sufficient collateral, simple as that. Even existing businesses thart want to expand will require capital to do that; no capital, no growth.

First, I want to point out that investment itself doesn't contribute to real economy.

You're right about one thing, you have no background in economics nor the understanding of same.

If I want to start a business, a machine shop, and I need to buy a $1 million, 5 axis vertical mill, I have a couple of choices, I can go to a bank, and borrow, in which the bank and those who put money in the bank, are investing in my venture, or I can seek venture capital from direct investors.

Either way, the prerequisite for economic activity is the contribution of the investors.

Investment itself contributes everything to a real economy.

Solid economy depends on consumption. That is to say, one cannot invest in something and make money without consumers buying the end product.

In order for consumers to buy a product, don't you think there is a need to actually produce it?

The result is that, while the majority of people have their ability to consume reduced, the rich and the corporations, who are unable to spend all the money, invest the excess money somewhere in hope to make more.

Which is economic expansion and grows and economy. As they invest, businesses start or expand, hiring people who get paychecks and buy things.

You illustrate why people need to take classes in economics.

This means that interest rate will be low because there's too much idle money (not helping consumption) around.

Why would "the rich" have idle money? What good would that do them?

Reduced consumption means declined demand for products (not because people have less needs, they just can't afford to satisfy them), which then create a surplus of man power, resulting in high unemployment.

You are very confused.

In my country, corporations usually raise price when material price rise, but almost never lower it for any reason.

Really?

So if I buy products from Taiwanese giant Asus, the products I buy today will be more expensive than similar products 10 years ago?

Is that your assertion?

Worker's salary is forever thinning out by inflation. Salary rise never keeps up, for the reason that industry will move to other country. Further more when corporations needs to cut cost in hard times, they usually look to workers first. This is really imbalanced and is, imo, the main reason behind the growing gap between the rich and the poor.

Turn off Olbermann, navigate away from Democratic Underground and ThinkProgress, and get some basic education.

Reality forces me to accept that very few ever benefit from our 'help' here. Seems that so many spout off about things they don't have a clue about, but hey if they were banned then we'd have hardly anyone to talk to.

Plus, you can't buy entertainment like this...

I do SOOO agree re: entertainment!

I love it!

But I wasn't being flip about the education factor...not of the folks we back-and-forth with, but the folks who only read rather than post.

If you check the numbers, it is the rare thread that had more than 15% posters vs. readers. So 85% of the folks read...and I fervently believe that this is a marketplace of ideas, and the best ones influence folks.

So....keep on keepin' on!

the balance in wealth between the investment class and the consuming classes cannot get too far out of balance before that imbalance causes problems in the workings of the market.

Of course as a liberal you have no idea whatsoever what on earth you are talking about. Warren Buffet, for example, is a wealthy investor. He invests all his money in companies that create 1000's of jobs and 1000's of affordable products for the consuming classes.

Your liberal minders have tricked you into believing that the wealthy, in effect, hide there money in a mattress. You have bought the perfect liberal lie. Now you can understand why the likes of Hitler Stalin and Mao were able to find so many liberal followers. A liberal will believe anything he is told.

Last edited:
...I don't really have a solid background in Economics, nevertheless here's what I want to say...
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your ideas. You say you don't know economics very well. When you don't know about something it's better to ask questions. After you learn about it then you'll have "something to say" that will make much more sense.

Well, I just wanna point out that it's an idea that might not be true or all true. It still takes statistics and data to verify those points. :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
How will you fix economic inequality?

Well, you could steal from the rich at the point of a liberal gun or you could encourage the poor to complete high school and not to get pregnant before high school or college was completed.

Guess which the liberal will choose?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back