Economic cost of legal and illegal immigration.

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
ECONOMIC COST OF LEGAL AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country... Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
Abraham Lincoln 1809 - 1865

Economic costs of legal and illegal immigration
Economic costs of mass immigration (legal and illegal immigration) - CAIR - Colorado Alliance for Immigration Reform

Go take a look at my signature and click the link, they have a really good break down on costs nationally and state wide. And it's documented, for certain people's benefit.

Children of illegals gettin' college expenses paid for...
:confused:
Web pleas help migrants pay for college
Sept. 13, 2011 - Last April, German Cadenas received some good news from Arizona State University.
Out of 125 applicants, Cadenas was one of seven accepted into a Ph.D. program in psychology. But paying for the program was even more challenging for Cadenas than a typical student. Because Cadenas, 24, a native of Venezuela, is an illegal immigrant, he must pay out-of-state tuition, which is twice as expensive as in-state rates. The same 5-year-old Arizona law that imposed out-of-state tuition rates also bars undocumented students from receiving any taxpayer-funded financial aid. Undeterred, he created a Web page dubbed "German. Chasing his Dream!" on gofundme.com, a fundraising site. He started a blog chronicling his academic achievements to draw in more donations. And he began soliciting money on YouTube and on his Facebook page, which lists 942 friends.

Cadenas is one of a small but growing number of undocumented immigrants in Arizona and other states using online campaigns to raise money to pay for college and graduate school. The approach allows undocumented students in states like Arizona to continue their education despite laws aimed at cutting them off from public funding. Without legal status, most undocumented students won't be able to put their degrees to use, because illegal immigrants can't legally work in the U.S. But raising money to stay in school also buys them time should Congress pass comprehensive immigration reform or the Dream Act, a proposed law that would allow undocumented students to legalize their status if they attended college or joined the military. "I figure if I am not able to work, I might as well continue my education," Cadenas said one recent morning in a cafe on the ASU campus in Tempe.

His goal is to become a psychology professor and then develop a program that helps high-school students from disadvantaged backgrounds overcome adversity to attend college. So far, his online campaign has been effective. As of Sept. 9, Cadenas had raised $19,253 toward his $25,000 goal, the amount Cadenas figures he will need to cover the first year of the five- to seven-year program. That includes $18,386 for out-of-state tuition (that's $8,165 more than in-state), plus books and living expenses. Cadenas said he got the idea for an online campaign from Silvia Rodriguez, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico who graduated from North High School in Phoenix in 2005 and from ASU in 2009.

Last year, Rodriguez, 24, raised about $20,000 through an online campaign to help pay for graduate school at Harvard University. She called the campaign "Harvard. Si, se puede." The online campaign included a blog about her goal to attend Harvard and a documentary-style video she posted on YouTube asking for donations. She raised the rest of the $50,000 she needed for tuition and living expenses through private scholarships and selling paintings and other artwork she makes. In May, she graduated from Harvard with a master's degree in education. "My story went all over the place," said Rodriguez, who now plans to get a doctorate. As a result, "a lot of (undocumented) students started contacting me and asking me how I did it."

Matias Ramos, a fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies, a liberal think tank in Washington, D.C., said he has heard of other undocumented students using online campaigns to raise money for college or graduate school. But, he said, "it's not really common. I don't know of a lot of people doing it, but I would say it is growing." By appealing for money online, undocumented students risk drawing attention from immigration officials, said Ramos, a co-founder of the United We Dream Network, a national coalition that pushed for passage of the Dream Act. But it's unlikely the online campaigns will get them arrested or deported, he said. Though the Obama administration has deported record numbers of illegal immigrants, officials announced in August that they plan to back off from deporting undocumented students and other illegal immigrants without criminal records to focus on deporting criminals.

Read more: Web pleas help migrants pay for college

See also:

California weighs college aid for illegal immigrants
12 Sept.`11 - Nearly 20 years ago, California became the first state to crack down on immigration when voters approved a measure that cut off education, health and other benefits to illegal immigrants and their children.
Now, Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown is considering signing a bill that would grant financial aid to some illegal immigrants attending state colleges and universities. That would be in addition to laws that allow some illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition and let them accept privately funded college grants. As states such as Arizona, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina push hard stances against illegal immigrants, the turnaround in the Golden State is viewed as either a Democratic-controlled Legislature ignoring the will of Californians, or a path that other states will soon be following.

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican, is convinced that people in his state are opposed to the state's move toward acceptance of illegal immigrants. When Californians approved Proposition 187 — the voter referendum that cut benefits to illegal immigrants — in 1994, it passed with 59% of the vote. He's confident that voters still feel that way, so he's prepared to push for another voter referendum to overturn the college financial aid bill if Brown signs it into law. "Why is an illegal's dream more important than an American's dream?" asked Donnelly, who founded a Minuteman group to patrol the U.S.-Mexico border before being elected to office. "There's a tsunami of discontent with this bill. Outrage isn't even a strong enough word."

The bill, passed Sept. 2 by the Legislature, would give illegal immigrant students about $40million in financial aid and fee waivers. Anti-immigration groups says it makes even less sense when considering California's financial plight. "With a state that's billions of dollars in the red — our own version of Greece in the United States — the idea of giving additional taxpayer money to illegal immigrants is surreal," said Mark Krikorian of the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates lower levels of immigration. "It's hard to believe."

Some say the state's growing acceptance of illegal immigrants is a preview of what will happen as Hispanics — the fastest-growing demographic in the country — spread out to new states and establish families. "It appears that you get the most anti-immigration sentiment where immigrant populations are newer and where they are growing and when there's a climate where political leaders are drawing attention to this," said John Skrentny, director of the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies at the University of California-San Diego.

MORE

Economic cost of legal and illegal immigration.

Fruits and vegetables cost less.

Children of illegals gettin' college expenses paid for...
:confused:
Web pleas help migrants pay for college
Sept. 13, 2011 - Last April, German Cadenas received some good news from Arizona State University.
Out of 125 applicants, Cadenas was one of seven accepted into a Ph.D. program in psychology. But paying for the program was even more challenging for Cadenas than a typical student. Because , he must pay out-of-state tuition, which is twice as expensive as in-state rates. The same 5-year-old Arizona law that imposed out-of-state tuition rates also bars undocumented students from receiving any taxpayer-funded financial aid. Undeterred, he created a Web page dubbed "German. Chasing his Dream!" on gofundme.com, a fundraising site. He started a blog chronicling his academic achievements to draw in more donations. And he began soliciting money on YouTube and on his Facebook page, which lists 942 friends.

Cadenas is one of a small but growing number of undocumented immigrants in Arizona and other states using online campaigns to raise money to pay for college and graduate school. The approach allows undocumented students in states like Arizona to continue their education despite laws aimed at cutting them off from public funding. Without legal status, most undocumented students won't be able to put their degrees to use, because illegal immigrants can't legally work in the U.S. But raising money to stay in school also buys them time should Congress pass comprehensive immigration reform or the Dream Act, a proposed law that would allow undocumented students to legalize their status if they attended college or joined the military. "I figure if I am not able to work, I might as well continue my education," Cadenas said one recent morning in a cafe on the ASU campus in Tempe.

His goal is to become a psychology professor and then develop a program that helps high-school students from disadvantaged backgrounds overcome adversity to attend college. So far, his online campaign has been effective. As of Sept. 9, Cadenas had raised $19,253 toward his $25,000 goal, the amount Cadenas figures he will need to cover the first year of the five- to seven-year program. That includes $18,386 for out-of-state tuition (that's $8,165 more than in-state), plus books and living expenses. Cadenas said he got the idea for an online campaign from Silvia Rodriguez, an undocumented immigrant from Mexico who graduated from North High School in Phoenix in 2005 and from ASU in 2009.

Last year, Rodriguez, 24, raised about $20,000 through an online campaign to help pay for graduate school at Harvard University. She called the campaign "Harvard. Si, se puede." The online campaign included a blog about her goal to attend Harvard and a documentary-style video she posted on YouTube asking for donations. She raised the rest of the $50,000 she needed for tuition and living expenses through private scholarships and selling paintings and other artwork she makes. In May, she graduated from Harvard with a master's degree in education. "My story went all over the place," said Rodriguez, who now plans to get a doctorate. As a result, "a lot of (undocumented) students started contacting me and asking me how I did it."

Matias Ramos, a fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies, a liberal think tank in Washington, D.C., said he has heard of other undocumented students using online campaigns to raise money for college or graduate school. But, he said, "it's not really common. I don't know of a lot of people doing it, but I would say it is growing." By appealing for money online, undocumented students risk drawing attention from immigration officials, said Ramos, a co-founder of the United We Dream Network, a national coalition that pushed for passage of the Dream Act. But it's unlikely the online campaigns will get them arrested or deported, he said. Though the Obama administration has deported record numbers of illegal immigrants, officials announced in August that they plan to back off from deporting undocumented students and other illegal immigrants without criminal records to focus on deporting criminals.

Read more: Web pleas help migrants pay for college

See also:

California weighs college aid for illegal immigrants
12 Sept.`11 - Nearly 20 years ago, California became the first state to crack down on immigration when voters approved a measure that cut off education, health and other benefits to illegal immigrants and their children.
Now, Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown is considering signing a bill that would grant financial aid to some illegal immigrants attending state colleges and universities. That would be in addition to laws that allow some illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition and let them accept privately funded college grants. As states such as Arizona, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina push hard stances against illegal immigrants, the turnaround in the Golden State is viewed as either a Democratic-controlled Legislature ignoring the will of Californians, or a path that other states will soon be following.

Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, a Republican, is convinced that people in his state are opposed to the state's move toward acceptance of illegal immigrants. When Californians approved Proposition 187 — the voter referendum that cut benefits to illegal immigrants — in 1994, it passed with 59% of the vote. He's confident that voters still feel that way, so he's prepared to push for another voter referendum to overturn the college financial aid bill if Brown signs it into law. "Why is an illegal's dream more important than an American's dream?" asked Donnelly, who founded a Minuteman group to patrol the U.S.-Mexico border before being elected to office. "There's a tsunami of discontent with this bill. Outrage isn't even a strong enough word."

The bill, passed Sept. 2 by the Legislature, would give illegal immigrant students about $40million in financial aid and fee waivers. Anti-immigration groups says it makes even less sense when considering California's financial plight. "With a state that's billions of dollars in the red — our own version of Greece in the United States — the idea of giving additional taxpayer money to illegal immigrants is surreal," said Mark Krikorian of the Center for Immigration Studies, which advocates lower levels of immigration. "It's hard to believe."

Some say the state's growing acceptance of illegal immigrants is a preview of what will happen as Hispanics — the fastest-growing demographic in the country — spread out to new states and establish families. "It appears that you get the most anti-immigration sentiment where immigrant populations are newer and where they are growing and when there's a climate where political leaders are drawing attention to this," said John Skrentny, director of the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies at the University of California-San Diego.

MORE

Venezuela has more than 90 institutions of higher education, with 860,000 students in 2002. Higher education remains free under the 1999 constitution and was receiving 35% of the education budget, even though it accounted for only 11% of the student population. More than 70% of university students come from the wealthiest quintile of the population. To address this problem, instead of improving primary and secondary education, the government established the Bolivarian University system in 2003, which designed to democratize access to "higher education" by offering heavily politicised study programmes to the public with only minimal entrance requirements. Autonomous public universities have had their operational budgets frozen by the state since 2004, and staff salaries frozen since 2008 despite inflation of 20-30% annually.

Education in Venezuela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Send Cadenas back home ASAP. He can get free higher education. FREE?

. Proof of Mexican citizenship is required to attend public schools for free, but foreigners can attend public schools by paying a tuition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Mexico#Higher_education

WTF? Send Rodriguez home also. Arizona is already hurting because of illegal aliens. Why punish them more.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back