Econ Under Bush: Rich Get Poorer and

tpahl said:
Well if it is true, it certainly is not something I would want advertised. througout most of US history every class has gotten richer. when that did not happen it was bad news for everyone. If in the past four years the rich have gotten poorer, that is a bad sign.

Travis

not necessarily. tax revenues have increased. It could be that reason they are poorer is because they are paying more in taxes. During the decline, many rich were able to continue to pay themselves out of savings (talking small businesses here which make up the majority of the "rich") and because they had losses, they paid less in taxes and therefore, they appeared "richer". Now that biz is settled down and things are getting back to normal, we are again paying our taxes and that is making us "poorer".

That has been my experience since about 2000 in my own business.

freeandfun1 said:
not necessarily. tax revenues have increased. It could be that reason they are poorer is because they are paying more in taxes. During the decline, many rich were able to continue to pay themselves out of savings (talking small businesses here which make up the majority of the "rich") and because they had losses, they paid less in taxes and therefore, they appeared "richer". Now that biz is settled down and things are getting back to normal, we are again paying our taxes and that is making us "poorer".

That has been my experience since about 2000 in my own business.

So we are cheering that small business owners are now paying more in taxes? Again, I would say this is bad news not good news. I want everyone to be paying LESS taxes.

Travis

Middle class had been the backbone of this country for years. Times they do change...Just read in the USA today about the pay-to-play in high school sports, now that is very disturbing, and unfortunate for the next generation.

tpahl said:
So we are cheering that small business owners are now paying more in taxes? Again, I would say this is bad news not good news. I want everyone to be paying LESS taxes.

Travis

if u are too stupid to understand the point I am making, forget it.

freeandfun1 said:
if u are too stupid to understand the point I am making, forget it.

Good idea. Call me stupid then you do not have to defend that business owners are paying more taxes.

opewon said:
Middle class had been the backbone of this country for years. Times they do change...Just read in the USA today about the pay-to-play in high school sports, now that is very disturbing, and unfortunate for the next generation.

Why should the government pay for children to play sports? Is that something that government really ought to be involved in?

Travis

tpahl said:
Good idea. Call me stupid then you do not have to defend that business owners are paying more taxes.

It is simple economics 101.

The more PROFITS a business makes, the more they pay in taxes. DOH!

opewon said:

Got to say, even many moons ago when I was in high school, (quite upper middle class area), we paid fees for sports. I'd say at relatively the same rate as I've paid for my own kids' participation. Cross Country/Track & Field (2 sport) cost fees of $80 per year-offsets salaries, gasoline, etc. Because there is little physical equipment-at least per athlete, not too bad. Cheerleading and Football much higher. Of course, even with the state in tight financial shape, no fear of losing art, music, sports! Guess it comes down to they know people will pay.

I've also known of some kids that wanted to play, friends told parents about 'not having the $' and Boosters step in, no one would no if they weren't on that committee in exec. session.

Forum List

Back