Ebooks, video downloads and other things.

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Ereaders are dropping in price and bookstores are in ever bigger trouble. Video downloads exist but are not yet at takeoff. The SWAGs I get claim about a 1.2 million job loss in production and distribution over the next two years. What else is likely to eliminate Mcjobs? And how big of a hit is likely?

well the internet has savaged the news print industry, the retail industry, along with as much commercial real estate already.

Even the postal service is hurting due to e-mail, while UPS and FedEx are thriving.

Books, movies, free television programing and television itself as well as cable may be next. Why not radio as well?

So you think these job losses will be realized at home but the new jobs that replace them will originate overseas?

Last edited:
the next thing to go is movie theaters and what a great day it will be!

the mppa is already working on deals so that you can stream movies to your house that are currently in theaters. Once this happens, theaters are going to die with 95% of people under 30.

I have a huge TV and surround at my house, why the fuck would I pay $10+ a movie to deal with dumbass people and $8 for a small drink?

once every house has broadband the entire industries of print newspapers, movie theaters, etc will die

well the internet has savaged the news print industry, the retail industry, along with as much commercial real estate already.

Even the postal service is hurting due to e-mail, while UPS and FedEx are thriving.

Books, movies, free television programing and television itself as well as cable may be next. Why not radio as well?

So you think these job losses will be realized at home but the new jobs that replace them will originate overseas?
Actually no and Cable is already starting to lose subscriptions. It's the software distribution channels that are dying. For example I go to hulu almost every night to watch TV shows but since last night was drop night I went to my local Barnes and Noble.

I was shocked when I got there four or more book cases were gone to make room for a larger Nook display, DVDs were taking over CDs as Audio downloads destroy the CD market, even the expresso machine was down. So how long until I can go to B&N.com and get video burned on a DVD? I can download CDs now, I can down load books at a deep discount to hardcopy now. Since I am skittish about Amazon.com and its possible tracking software I will probably stick with B&N or BAM. Books-A-Million now has a promotion of its downloads at every cash register. I don't know the exact tipping point but within a year I expect hard copy books to be a specialty item like analog audio vinyl is now. Video and games are the next thing to go to internet distribution.

Huge sections of public libraries will go vacant before libraries close for good. Book, music, video, games and no doubt other things I can't even imagine or even think of as software will go bye-bye. I have never learned HTML because I think of it as a transitional technology. I figure it is not going to be too long before I find a quick link on my toolbar that will create links for me. Working on computer circuits back in the day of transistors I remember the numerous memory aids for the resistor color code, the magnifiers to tell em from mu and other hard won knowledge that is now worthless. Hell, I even have a working sliderule with owner's manual, greased that bad boy up with WD-40 just last week.

Maid/Gardner/handyman robots with down loadable instructions for the Honey Do list are going to eliminate millions of Mcjobs and eventually the original Mcjob at McDonald's. This is a huge shift.

the next thing to go is movie theaters and what a great day it will be!

the mppa is already working on deals so that you can stream movies to your house that are currently in theaters. Once this happens, theaters are going to die with 95% of people under 30.

I have a huge TV and surround at my house, why the fuck would I pay $10+ a movie to deal with dumbass people and $8 for a small drink?

once every house has broadband the entire industries of print newspapers, movie theaters, etc will die
So true but it will increase unemployment.

We still have a drive in movie down the road.
Some exceptions do persist. The US still has farriers and buggywhip makers too and they are good paying jobs even though there are not many of them. Entire websites providing mail and plate armor plus repairs also exist. About three miles from my house is a "Knives R Us" where I can buy bastard swords right off the shelf and special order fitted armor but it ain't a growth industry. Barding a horse for a tournament is nearly as expensive as the horse but I can get that done local too. Chariot races tend to be more rare but I understand they are available within driving distance. Movie theaters will not vanish entirely either but they will become rare.

Actually no and Cable is already starting to lose subscriptions. It's the software distribution channels that are dying. For example I go to hulu almost every night to watch TV shows but since last night was drop night I went to my local Barnes and Noble.

I was shocked when I got there four or more book cases were gone to make room for a larger Nook display, DVDs were taking over CDs as Audio downloads destroy the CD market, even the expresso machine was down. So how long until I can go to B&N.com and get video burned on a DVD? I can download CDs now, I can down load books at a deep discount to hardcopy now. Since I am skittish about Amazon.com and its possible tracking software I will probably stick with B&N or BAM. Books-A-Million now has a promotion of its downloads at every cash register. I don't know the exact tipping point but within a year I expect hard copy books to be a specialty item like analog audio vinyl is now. Video and games are the next thing to go to internet distribution.

Huge sections of public libraries will go vacant before libraries close for good. Book, music, video, games and no doubt other things I can't even imagine or even think of as software will go bye-bye. I have never learned HTML because I think of it as a transitional technology. I figure it is not going to be too long before I find a quick link on my toolbar that will create links for me. Working on computer circuits back in the day of transistors I remember the numerous memory aids for the resistor color code, the magnifiers to tell em from mu and other hard won knowledge that is now worthless. Hell, I even have a working sliderule with owner's manual, greased that bad boy up with WD-40 just last week.

Maid/Gardner/handyman robots with down loadable instructions for the Honey Do list are going to eliminate millions of Mcjobs and eventually the original Mcjob at McDonald's. This is a huge shift.

It started out as the dawn of a new industry and evolved into an industry killing automation scheme.

It really is a great example of Oddball's premise that technology reduces the resource consumption/unit.

Forum List

Back