Ebook Readers?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Kindle, Sony, Nook?

Do you like yours?

What do you love/hate.

I'm sort of leaning toward the Sony Touch Edition, as it supports EPUB.

Every time I pick up one of those things I think I am going to break it. I know the trend is toward lighter and thinner in electronics, but I want something that does not feel flimsy.

Real books. Love em.........

Agreed, but I am also loving my Kindle. It's great for commuting and travel.

My complaints:

- The DMA on kindle books doesn't allow one to read the book on a computer or other readers.

- Unlike CDs which one can convert to MP3s, there is no practical way to convert one's existing library into electronic format.

- Pricing is still too high. The e-book version should not be nearly the same as a new physical book.

As someone with a few thousand books stashed around the abode, I'd love a way to get a deal for the kindle versions.

Last edited:

My complaints:

- The DMA on kindle books doesn't allow one to read the book on a computer of other readers.

- Unlike CDs which one can convert to MP3s, there is no practical way to convert one's existing library into electronic format.

- Pricing is still too high. The e-book version should not be nearly the same as a new physical book.

As someone with a few thousand books stashed around the abode, I'd love a way to get a deal for the kindle versions.

Me too. They're really great for carrying around, less hassle than a book. But I still love an actual book.

I was an old-school, books only guy. I have a library full of them in my house, but my wife bought me a kindle for Christmas a couple years ago and I am hooked. I was against ereaders, because I was a book snob. But I love the kindle. I have the 2nd generation, not the new ones out now. The battery life is great, about 30 days before recharge, as long as you turn off the 3G function when you don't need it. My only beef is with the "next page" buttons, there placement causes you to advance a page when you want to go back a page.

I've never used one but can see the benefits of them, especially if you travel. Nice to download a book instantly and all too.

Having said that . . . . 6 paperbacks for $2 at Good Will. Can a Kindle do that? Then :eusa_hand:

I've never used one but can see the benefits of them, especially if you travel. Nice to download a book instantly and all too.

Having said that . . . . 6 paperbacks for $2 at Good Will. Can a Kindle do that? Then :eusa_hand:

I got the complete works of Poe, Shakespeare, Doyle for free. Plus, Pride and Prejudice for free as well.

My complaints:

- The DMA on kindle books doesn't allow one to read the book on a computer or other readers.

Sorry, my translator program doesn't seem to recognize that language.

My complaints:

I can fix one of your complaints.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_355960802_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_r=0FX8VAME8V4X8GD3HFW5&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1293556102&pf_rd_i=android]Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps[/ame]

Every time I pick up one of those things I think I am going to break it. I know the trend is toward lighter and thinner in electronics, but I want something that does not feel flimsy.

I can help you with that: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/CE-Compass-Cover-Kindle-Generation/dp/B004A7ZEI2/ref=pd_cp_e_3]Amazon.com: CE Compass Cover Case for Kindle 3 (3rd Third Generation 6" Kindle Wi-Fi + 3G) Black: Electronics[/ame]

My complaints:

That DRA proprietary format is the one thing that is pushing me away from Kindle. If you buy a Kindle you are stuck with Amazon forever.

Have an iPad and I love it!

I have low vision and even though I use it for audio books mostly, just the nature of the screen and internal magnification give it great versatility. In other words, I know I could read a book on it if I choose.

They seem interesting, but I'm sorta paranoid. What happens when some new technology comes along? I know my hardcopy will last forever.

The Nook rocks. Can also open the books you download at B&N for Nook on a PC.

I really like the Nook...it also will accept Epub documents, which means you can also use Google Ebook store for purchases.

They work on any Epub device, so you can change devices and still keep your E-Library.

Plus it is available with WIFI or WIFI & 3G capability.

But, it doesn't have a touch screen, which I really want.

The Sony Touch Edition has a touch screen and accepts Epub but no WIFI or 3G capability.

Tough decision, but I'm leaning toward the Sony.

I think I'd rather have the touch screen than instant access to a new book.

Tough decision

Forum List

Back