Ebola Prisoner in Kenya

TheAmerican

May 4, 2014
I think a travel ban is pretty mild by comparison.

DAYS 'WITHOUT FOOD & WATER’ LIBERIAN ‘EBOLA PRISONER’ IN KENYA

Written by Rodney D. Sieh, rodney.sieh@frontpag eafricaonline.com
Published: 16 October 2014

“I’m pregnant, but was made to sleep on a hard bench, it’s not even a bed, for over 24 hours without food, water or anything, can you imagine, this is the room, that’s the toilet, this is me.” - Monique Tata Allison

In the past week, the stigmatization of Ebola hit new lows, not just for citizens of nations hardly-hit by the virus residing in western nations, but also for Africans within Africa, a sad reality Monique Tatu Allison discovered when she touched down at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport last Sunday.

“Can you imagine a Liberian citizen being detained in Kenya for over 24 hours in this kind of room, sleeping on this hard bed, I don’t even want to call it a bed, this hard bench?, a pregnant woman, from Brussels into Kenya Airport, “ Monique laments on a self-made video she made while in a holding room at the Kenyan airport.

Monique, who had flown into Nairobi to visit an aunt, Sharon Cooper told FrontPageAfrica Wednesday that immigration authorities in Kenya refused to allow her in. “They put me this room, detained me all day.” It took the intervention of Liberia’s Foreign Minister Augustine Ngafuan for the matter to be resolved.

Immigration authorities had threatened to send Monique back to Brussels, but after Minister Ngafuan called his counterpart in Nairobi, Monique was allowed to leave the airport and to see her aunt she had arrived in Kenya to visit. “I’m relieved but a bit disappointed, “she said Wednesday. “So much for African solidarity”.

Monique says since she touched down in Nairobi Sunday night about 11:15am Kenya time, she was booked as soon as immigration officers recognized her Liberian passport and suspected that she may have been infected with the virus but failed to give her a temperature test.

Full article: FrontPageAfrica - Days Without Food Water Liberian Ebola Prisoner in Kenya

“I’m pregnant, but was made to sleep on a hard bench, it’s not even a bed, for over 24 hours without food, water or anything, can you imagine, this is the room, that’s the toilet, this is me.” - Monique Tata Allison

In the past week, the stigmatization of Ebola hit new lows, not just for citizens of nations hardly-hit by the virus residing in western nations, but also for Africans within Africa, a sad reality Monique Tatu Allison discovered when she touched down at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport last Sunday.

“Can you imagine a Liberian citizen being detained in Kenya for over 24 hours in this kind of room, sleeping on this hard bed, I don’t even want to call it a bed, this hard bench?, a pregnant woman, from Brussels into Kenya Airport, “ Monique laments on a self-made video she made while in a holding room at the Kenyan airport.

Monique, who had flown into Nairobi to visit an aunt, Sharon Cooper told FrontPageAfrica Wednesday that immigration authorities in Kenya refused to allow her in. “They put me this room, detained me all day.” It took the intervention of Liberia’s Foreign Minister Augustine Ngafuan for the matter to be resolved.

Immigration authorities had threatened to send Monique back to Brussels, but after Minister Ngafuan called his counterpart in Nairobi, Monique was allowed to leave the airport and to see her aunt she had arrived in Kenya to visit. “I’m relieved but a bit disappointed, “she said Wednesday. “So much for African solidarity”.

Monique says since she touched down in Nairobi Sunday night about 11:15am Kenya time, she was booked as soon as immigration officers recognized her Liberian passport and suspected that she may have been infected with the virus but failed to give her a temperature test.

Full article: FrontPageAfrica - Days Without Food Water Liberian Ebola Prisoner in Kenya
Obama would welcome her with open arms..........and a voter registration card. :welcome: :smiliehug:

Obama would welcome her with open arms..........and a voter registration card. :welcome: :smiliehug:

Hahahaha!!! At least you guys are making me laugh - it keeps me a bit sane!

Final Tests Show Ebola Vaccine is Highly Effective...
icon_cool.gif

Tests Show Ebola Vaccine is Highly Effective
December 22, 2016 - Final test results confirm an experimental Ebola vaccine is highly effective, a major milestone that could help prevent the spread of outbreaks like the one that killed thousands in West Africa.
Scientists have struggled to develop an Ebola vaccine over the years, and this is the first one proven to work. Efforts were ramped up after the infectious disease caused a major outbreak, beginning in 2013 in Guinea and spreading to Liberia and Sierra Leone. About 11,300 people died. The World Health Organization, which acknowledged shortcomings in its response to the West Africa outbreak, led the study of the vaccine, which was developed by the Canadian government and is now licensed to the U.S.-based Merck & Co. Results were published Thursday.

Merck is expected to seek regulatory approval in the U.S. and Europe sometime next year. The experimental vaccine was given to about 5,800 people last year in Guinea, as the virus was waning. All had some contact with a new Ebola patient. They got the vaccine right away or three weeks later. After a 10-day waiting period, no Ebola cases developed in those immediately vaccinated, 23 cases turned up among those with delayed vaccination.

3C99FF08-EE4D-4597-B0FA-AC265BC7028E_w250_r1_s.jpg

Health workers wash their hands after taking a blood specimen from a child to test for the Ebola virus in a area were a 17-year old boy died from the virus on the outskirts of Monrovia, Liberia.​

The Lancet paper published Thursday mostly crystallizes what was already largely known from interim results released last year. The vaccine proved so effective that the study was stopped midway so that everyone exposed to Ebola in Guinea could be immunized. "I really believe that now we have a tool which would allow (us) to control a new outbreak of Ebola of the Zaire strain," said Dr. Marie-Paule Kieny, a WHO assistant director-general who was the study's lead author. "It's the first vaccine for which efficacy has been shown."

She noted that other Ebola vaccines are underdoing testing, and that a vaccine is also needed to protect against a second strain, Sudan. The virus first turned up in Africa in 1976 and had caused periodic outbreaks mostly in central Africa, but never with results as deadly as the West Africa outbreak. Many previous vaccine attempts have failed. Among the hurdles: the sporadic nature of outbreaks and funding shortages.

Tests Show Ebola Vaccine is Highly Effective

‘Superspreaders’ spread Ebola...
confused.gif

‘Superspreaders’ passed on Ebola
Wed, Feb 15, 2017 - Most of the people infected with Ebola in the West Africa epidemic that began in 2014 got sick through contact with a small number of “superspreaders” with the disease, researchers said on Monday.
The study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences shows such “superspreaders” can be extremely dangerous when it comes to infectious disease outbreaks. The West African Ebola epidemic was the largest in history and killed more than 11,300 people, with many of the cases involving people infected while caring for a sick person or burying a body. “We now see the role of superspreaders as larger than initially suspected,” said coauthor Benjamin Dalziel, an assistant professor of population biology in the College of Science at Oregon State University. “It was the cases you didn’t see that really drove the epidemic, particularly people who died at home, without making it to a care center.”

At the time, researchers counted cases according to those seen in medical centers, but they later realized these were a small fraction of the total. “There wasn’t a lot of transmission once people reached hospitals and care centers,” Dalziel said. “In our analysis we were able to see a web of transmission that would often track back to a community-based superspreader,” he said. Researchers said 61 percent of those infected with the disease caught it from people accounting for just 3 percent of those who got sick.

The study included researchers from Princeton University, Oregon State University, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the Imperial College London and the US National Institutes of Health. If superspreading had been completely under control about two-thirds of Ebola cases could have been avoided, the report said. Superspreaders have also played a role in the epidemic of severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, in 2003 and Middle East respiratory syndrome in 2012.

‘Superspreaders’ passed on Ebola - Taipei Times

Forum List

Back