Ebola Guy Isn't American. We're All Paying For His Free Medical Care.

Rikurzhen

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
Terrific. Look how on the ball our immigration officials are:

Look up "likely visa overstay" in the dictionary, and you should find a picture of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who is the first Ebola case diagnosed within the United States, and who is now being treated in a Dallas hospital.

This looks like another good case for the consular officers training manual of a non-immigrant visa that never should have been issued, but which could have serious public health consequences, not to mention monetary costs.

According to his Facebook page and other reports, Duncan is a 40-something, single, unemployed Liberian living in Ghana who applied sometime in the last year for a visa to visit his sister in the United States. It was reportedly his first time visiting this country.

That is six strikes against his application:

1. Single
  2. Unemployed
  3. Liberian (5th highest overstay rate of any country in the world)
  4. Living outside country of citizenship
  5. First time traveler to the United States
  6. Sister living in the United States.
Together, all these factors should have weighed very heavily against the issuance of a visitor's visa to Duncan. He clearly appears unqualified.

In 2013, more than 3,500 non-immigrant visas were issued to Liberians. This number has grown steadily since 2009, when just over 1,300 were issued. Most are issued to tourists and business travelers. A relatively high percentage do not return, but settle here illegally to join a well-established Liberian community (many of whom have won green cards in the visa lottery).

The federal government has yet to disclose the details of Duncan's immigration history, but it is fair to ask why he was issued a visa in the first place? More importantly, what steps are being taken to prevent others who may be infected from entering the country?

Using 2013 non-immigrant visa issuance statistics and information on visa validity periods, I estimate that there are about 5,000 people from Sierra Leone, 5,000 people from Guinea, and 3,500 people from Liberia who have valid non-immigrant visas to enter the United States.

The president and his immigration agencies have the authority and the responsibility to deny admission to any alien that has (or cannot establish to the government's satisfaction that he or she doesn't have) a communicable disease of public health significance, such as ebola. In the midst of this severe outbreak, the government should be setting up more robust screening protocols. Reportedly, travelers to the United States are simply being questioned about their contact with infected people and are checked for a fever. In contrast, three African countries (Namibia, Kenya, and Zambia) have banned travelers from the countries that are experiencing the outbreak (Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea).

In July, a member of Congress sent a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson suggesting that we bar entry to any foreign travelers who have visited the three Ebola-stricken countries within 90 days of seeking entry to the United States.

But, as with the threat from terrorism and from foreign criminal cartels, the Obama administration seems reluctant to use immigration controls even to protect the homeland.​

Although he could certainly be used as a poster-boy for what is wrong with the screening process at our ports of entry...

Now that he's here, and now that he's sick...

A few measly hundreds-of-thousands of dollars, or a million or two, is a drop in the bucket, compared to what it would be, if this modern-day plague gets loose.

He's not American? Well shit. I don't want to pay for that shit. Just throw him out of the hospital to take care of himself. He shouldn't infect too many people before he dies. And anyway, it's Texas. Who gives a shit? Amiright? 'Merica!

He's not American? Well shit. I don't want to pay for that shit. Just throw him out of the hospital to take care of himself. He shouldn't infect too many people before he dies. And anyway, it's Texas. Who gives a shit? Amiright? 'Merica!
Why, so he can infect more people? At least send him to Dearborn first, or Chicago.

Of course we taxpayers are paying for his ass just like we're paying for all those illegal kids our fucking Govt let into this country. The kids Barry has granted amnesty to.

Just like we taxpayers are paying for every freeloader in America through Welfare, Medicaid and that POS ACA.

Just like we are paying those Clowns in DC for the rest of their useless lives.

Whats new? Nothing.

Crap- We're already paying for every deadbeat under the suns health care. That's the part of the law they had to pass without reading, so that they could pass the law.

-Geaux

This is only the beginning. The American tax payer will be paying for much more than the healthcare of this one man.

Could this be yet another effort by the elites in government, to expand government?

Lesson learned here:

If I'm in Africa, and I pretty much know, or guess I have Ebola, I do everything I can to get on a plane to get to America.

Lesson learned here:

If I'm in Africa, and I pretty much know, or guess I have Ebola, I do everything I can to get on a plane to get to America.

What you reward is what you get more of, what you punish is what you get less of.

Again, I think that the African migration to the US is being grossly overlooked as we choose to focus primarily and exclusively on south of America.

1. African immigrants get almost a billion in aid per country.
2. African immigrants receive affirmative action - and quite candidly displacing Americans that qualify exclusively in the tech and oil industry.
3. African immigrants arent the model minority that the mainstream media portrays. In particular - and I know not all African immigrants are the same, country by country - Nigerians drug trafficking from cocaine to heroin (our government has conveniently ignored this), internet fraud and other crimes.
4. Many Africans are muslims - and radical muslims at that. They are very close to the ME borders and have been intertangled with the ME for centuries, not just years. We dont screen them - and yet the majority of them have joined Isis.

I dont have a problem with migration before anyone scolds me. I have a problem with migration when your country is receiving aid. It is not our responsibility to build an infrastructure for you. it is not our responsibility to ensure that your aid gets to you. The people's will has to emerge from the crisis and take back their government in their respective countries.

I have no problem with the blacks here, the natives here, the mexicans here that are LEGAL!

Terrific. Look how on the ball our immigration officials are:

Look up "likely visa overstay" in the dictionary, and you should find a picture of Thomas Eric Duncan, the Liberian man who is the first Ebola case diagnosed within the United States, and who is now being treated in a Dallas hospital.

This looks like another good case for the consular officers training manual of a non-immigrant visa that never should have been issued, but which could have serious public health consequences, not to mention monetary costs.

According to his Facebook page and other reports, Duncan is a 40-something, single, unemployed Liberian living in Ghana who applied sometime in the last year for a visa to visit his sister in the United States. It was reportedly his first time visiting this country.

That is six strikes against his application:

1. Single
  2. Unemployed
  3. Liberian (5th highest overstay rate of any country in the world)
  4. Living outside country of citizenship
  5. First time traveler to the United States
  6. Sister living in the United States.
Together, all these factors should have weighed very heavily against the issuance of a visitor's visa to Duncan. He clearly appears unqualified.

In 2013, more than 3,500 non-immigrant visas were issued to Liberians. This number has grown steadily since 2009, when just over 1,300 were issued. Most are issued to tourists and business travelers. A relatively high percentage do not return, but settle here illegally to join a well-established Liberian community (many of whom have won green cards in the visa lottery).

The federal government has yet to disclose the details of Duncan's immigration history, but it is fair to ask why he was issued a visa in the first place? More importantly, what steps are being taken to prevent others who may be infected from entering the country?

Using 2013 non-immigrant visa issuance statistics and information on visa validity periods, I estimate that there are about 5,000 people from Sierra Leone, 5,000 people from Guinea, and 3,500 people from Liberia who have valid non-immigrant visas to enter the United States.

The president and his immigration agencies have the authority and the responsibility to deny admission to any alien that has (or cannot establish to the government's satisfaction that he or she doesn't have) a communicable disease of public health significance, such as ebola. In the midst of this severe outbreak, the government should be setting up more robust screening protocols. Reportedly, travelers to the United States are simply being questioned about their contact with infected people and are checked for a fever. In contrast, three African countries (Namibia, Kenya, and Zambia) have banned travelers from the countries that are experiencing the outbreak (Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea).

In July, a member of Congress sent a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson suggesting that we bar entry to any foreign travelers who have visited the three Ebola-stricken countries within 90 days of seeking entry to the United States.

But, as with the threat from terrorism and from foreign criminal cartels, the Obama administration seems reluctant to use immigration controls even to protect the homeland.​

He came for the free medical care. As soon as he knew he had been exposed he got on the first plane to the US.

Lesson learned here:

What you reward is what you get more of, what you punish is what you get less of.

Seriously guys...I'm being very serious here. I understand the whole republican mantra of "I got mine" and everything and that your opposition to govt even spans to letting people die if they cant hack it.

But seriously, what do you think will happen if this guy is let out the hospital? Of course his medical bills shouldnt be your "problem" (air quotes) but his virus should be taken care of right?

Although he could certainly be used as a poster-boy for what is wrong with the screening process at our ports of entry...

A few measly hundreds-of-thousands of dollars, or a million or two, is a drop in the bucket, compared to what it would be, if this modern-day plague gets loose.
Cheaper, safer, and much more effective at controlling the spread of this disease would be to put him down like a rabid animal and torch the remains.

Cheaper, safer, and much more effective at controlling the spread of this disease would be to put him down like a rabid animal and torch the remains.
Yeah ummm this isn't the Walking Dead. We don't put people down, you psychotic asshole.

Lesson learned here:

Seriously guys...I'm being very serious here. I understand the whole republican mantra of "I got mine" and everything and that your opposition to govt even spans to letting people die if they cant hack it.

But seriously, what do you think will happen if this guy is let out the hospital? Of course his medical bills shouldnt be your "problem" (air quotes) but his virus should be taken care of right?
Have you been paying attention? They already did turn him loose on an unsuspecting community. Now there is potential exposure of school children due to this guy's criminal intent and the ignorance/stupidity/incompetence of the medical "professionals" who set him loose.

Trouble is, he was loose for - what? - 4 days or more - and at least part of that time after he had already become 'communicable', so, the bug may already be loose. We can only hope and/or pray that that is not actually the case. The next few days should tell that story.

Planes from Africa should never be allowed to touch down. Nationals from the affected areas should never be allowed into this country at all. Just like every other rational country has done. Ebola is only in Africa and the United States. Which state agency controls international travel? The federal government says it is under their exclusive control. This is what they did with that control. They didn't drop the ball, they refused to pick up the ball.

Forum List

Back