eBay Problem:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I ordered a kneeling chair (lumbar relief chair) from an eBay vendor. I promptly received a very worn carton, obviously opened and resealed with cellophane tape, much too small to contain an assembled chair, and full of loose, rattling parts.

No need to open this carton because the contents are something I obviously don't want. So in accordance with eBay's "satisfaction guarantee" policy and instructions I attempted to contact the vendor but the message would not send.

I contacted eBay Customer Service and was told the reason the message to vendor wouldn't send is a cookie in my computer and this reply contained instructions for removing the offending cookie. I followed the instructions and the problem persists. I still can't message the vendor.

I notified eBay Customer Service of this problem and am waiting to hear from them.

I don't know what the outcome of this possible run-around will be. Time will tell. There was no "cookie" problem with placing the order, paying for it, or contacting Customer Service. But initiating a return/refund request is stonewalled by a problem with my computer?

So while I'm waiting for the next step in this dance I'm wondering if anyone here has had problems with eBay's return policy.

No. You need to go through the resolution procedure Ebay has set up - step by step. You will be given a 100% refund, MikeK. Just go by the procedure and follow it - I wonder if you could write the request for refund to a 2nd party and have them forward it to this vendor. Just so you could tell ebay that you did this to make sure he received an email from you. I find the cookie excuse very strange. I've yet to hear of such a thing.

p.s. do not allow this delay to make you lose your peace of mind. You will get your refund - Ebay stands behind that guarantee 100% and you will get it - so do not even let the thought enter your mind that you are not going to be refunded. You will be refunded. Okay? You will be refunded. Put your mind at ease about that, Mike.

No. You need to go through the resolution procedure Ebay has set up - step by step. You will be given a 100% refund, MikeK. Just go by the procedure and follow it - I wonder if you could write the request for refund to a 2nd party and have them forward it to this vendor. Just so you could tell ebay that you did this to make sure he received an email from you. I find the cookie excuse very strange. I've yet to hear of such a thing.

p.s. do not allow this delay to make you lose your peace of mind. You will get your refund - Ebay stands behind that guarantee 100% and you will get it - so do not even let the thought enter your mind that you are not going to be refunded. You will be refunded. Okay? You will be refunded. Put your mind at ease about that, Mike.
Thanks!

That's good news.

I sell a lot on Ebay and Amazon. The smart thing for sellers to do is to photograph like there's no description and describe like there's no photos.

Study the original offering for any details that could help your claim get expedited. On the right side of the page, you'll find the contact info but you'll also see that seller's rating.

Take high quality photos of every angle of the box and include them in your messages to Ebay.

If you have not yet opened a complaint file, do that now.

You can also go to the forums. They're not particular user friendly but its do-able. Post in detail, including the seller's name. Also read other buyer's experiences and pay close attention to the terminology.

Ebay's customer service # 866-540-3229

Don't lose this number but also don't expect to move heaven and earth with it because its a royal pain in the butt to get shuffled from one non-English speaker to the next. Keep calling. They'll give you a 'case number' you will be able to use in future calls and/or correspondence.

I'm sorry I can't give you links but Ebay makes it hard to find certain things unless you have an open case. I don't think that's an accident. That's why the forums can be a big help.

Even if you can't reach your seller, Ebay's policy is to refund. Don't give up.

It sounds like it was disassembled for shipping. It would be odd to send furniture fully assembled. You should at least take a look at it.

I sell a lot on Ebay and Amazon. The smart thing for sellers to do is to photograph like there's no description and describe like there's no photos.

Study the original offering for any details that could help your claim get expedited. On the right side of the page, you'll find the contact info but you'll also see that seller's rating.

Take high quality photos of every angle of the box and include them in your messages to Ebay.

If you have not yet opened a complaint file, do that now.

You can also go to the forums. They're not particular user friendly but its do-able. Post in detail, including the seller's name. Also read other buyer's experiences and pay close attention to the terminology.

Ebay's customer service # 866-540-3229

Don't lose this number but also don't expect to move heaven and earth with it because its a royal pain in the butt to get shuffled from one non-English speaker to the next. Keep calling. They'll give you a 'case number' you will be able to use in future calls and/or correspondence.

I'm sorry I can't give you links but Ebay makes it hard to find certain things unless you have an open case. I don't think that's an accident. That's why the forums can be a big help.

Even if you can't reach your seller, Ebay's policy is to refund. Don't give up.
Thanks!

Very helpful information.

It sounds like it was disassembled for shipping. It would be odd to send furniture fully assembled. You should at least take a look at it.
No need for that. There was no mention of assembly requirement, and if assembly is required I don't want it.

Also, the shipping carton is very worn and there are two old shipping labels stripped off. So this is a shady vendor who might not care about bad feedback.

No need for that. There was no mention of assembly requirement, and if assembly is required I don't want it.

Also, the shipping carton is very worn and there are two old shipping labels stripped off. So this is a shady vendor who might not care about bad feedback.

Read his feedback. Its public and the link is on the right hand side of the listing, at the top and appears as a hot link. If you click on it, you'll go to his feedback page where you'll find a link to look at all his feedback.

The listing should also have stated whether or not you would have assemble the chair. If it doesn't, that's grounds for returning it.

I've got some high end chairs and tables I want to sell. Its ridiculous how much these chairs sell for. They'll need to be assembled by the buyer and I will make that really clear in the description.

Your description of the carton is iffy. If it was shipped before, that could account for the torn labels, etc.

[...]

Your description of the carton is iffy. If it was shipped before, that could account for the torn labels, etc.
The carton is very worn. It clearly has been opened and re-sealed with cellophane tape -- and there are vestiges of two other shipping labels which have been partially stripped off. when the carton is moved the sound of loose parts bouncing around inside, which is not the way to ship anything!

So it's obvious this thing has made the rounds and has every appearance and indication that the vendor is hoping to dump it on some buyer who will hold still for it.

It's possible that someone who is willing to settle might be able to put together a chair with the parts in the carton, but I have no intention of assembling it. If there was any mention of assembly being required I would not have ordered it.

There was some movement earlier. I was told to use another browser to forward the return request. I used Explorer and have a message that a return request is being processed.

So let's see what happens next. My hope is the vendor will issue a UPS pickup order for shipping I'm willing to pay for.[/U]

[...]

The carton is very worn. It clearly has been opened and re-sealed with cellophane tape -- and there are vestiges of two other shipping labels which have been partially stripped off. when the carton is moved the sound of loose parts bouncing around inside, which is not the way to ship anything!

So it's obvious this thing has made the rounds and has every appearance and indication that the vendor is hoping to dump it on some buyer who will hold still for it.

It's possible that someone who is willing to settle might be able to put together a chair with the parts in the carton, but I have no intention of assembling it. If there was any mention of assembly being required I would not have ordered it.

There was some movement earlier. I was told to use another browser to forward the return request. I used Explorer and have a message that a return request is being processed.

So let's see what happens next. My hope is the vendor will issue a UPS pickup order for shipping I'm willing to pay for.[/U]

That's what I meant by "iffy".

If its your fault, you pay return shipping. If its the seller's fault, he pays it. I would demand he pay return shipping. However, you may not be able to make that stick.

[...]

That's what I meant by "iffy".

If its your fault, you pay return shipping. If its the seller's fault, he pays it. I would demand he pay return shipping. However, you may not be able to make that stick.
I'm willing to pay for shipping both ways if he will just issue a UPS pickup order.

Switching browsers worked and I heard from the vendor today. He's starting to wiggle by asking if I don't know anyone who will assemble the chair for me. I told him no, but if he persists I will just complain to eBay and let them deal with him.

So thanks for your advice and counsel. Much appreciated.

Forum List

Back