Eat a dog, save the earth

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
SUVs owners are often castigated by treehuggers for their Earth-unfriendly lifestyle. A new book argues that pets are just as bad.

New Zealand authors Robert and Brenda Vale's book, "Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living" is an exhaustive analysis of the environmental impact of common pets such as cats and dogs. The authors studied the carbon emissions created by pets, including the ingredients in their food and the land required to grow it. And the results don't bode well for Fido, who compares poorly to that SUV.

The Values noted that a medium dog consumes 90 grams of meat and 156 grams of cereals daily in its recommended 300-gram portion of dried dog food. They then determined that Fido wolfs down about 164 kilograms of meat and 95 kilograms of cereals per year.

It takes 43.3 square meters of land to generate 1 kilogram of chicken per year — far more for beef and lamb — and 13.4 square meters to generate a kilogram of cereals. So that gives him a footprint of 0.84 hectares. For a big dog such as a German shepherd, the figure is 1.1 hectares.

Meanwhile, a Toyota Land Cruiser driven a modest 10,000 kilometers a year, uses 55.1 gigajoules, which includes the energy required both to fuel and to build it. One hectare of land can produce approximately 135 gigajoules of energy per year, so the Land Cruiser's eco-footprint is about 0.41 hectares — less than half that of a medium-sized dog.

Eat a Dog, Save the Earth - How Green? - FOXNews.com

Time for all the tree huggers to do the best thing they can do for the planet and off themselves.

Problem solved.

All those dead bodies wouldn't help though. Best solution is to cremate the bodies after.

I don't know what's worse. That someone actually went ahead and wrote a book like this or that people are actually going to buy it. :eusa_eh:

Dog meat is eaten throughout many areas in Africa and the far east. It is a legitimate source of food.

SUVs owners are often castigated by treehuggers for their Earth-unfriendly lifestyle. A new book argues that pets are just as bad.

New Zealand authors Robert and Brenda Vale's book, "Time to Eat the Dog: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living" is an exhaustive analysis of the environmental impact of common pets such as cats and dogs. The authors studied the carbon emissions created by pets, including the ingredients in their food and the land required to grow it. And the results don't bode well for Fido, who compares poorly to that SUV.

The Values noted that a medium dog consumes 90 grams of meat and 156 grams of cereals daily in its recommended 300-gram portion of dried dog food. They then determined that Fido wolfs down about 164 kilograms of meat and 95 kilograms of cereals per year.

It takes 43.3 square meters of land to generate 1 kilogram of chicken per year — far more for beef and lamb — and 13.4 square meters to generate a kilogram of cereals. So that gives him a footprint of 0.84 hectares. For a big dog such as a German shepherd, the figure is 1.1 hectares.

Meanwhile, a Toyota Land Cruiser driven a modest 10,000 kilometers a year, uses 55.1 gigajoules, which includes the energy required both to fuel and to build it. One hectare of land can produce approximately 135 gigajoules of energy per year, so the Land Cruiser's eco-footprint is about 0.41 hectares — less than half that of a medium-sized dog.

Bad boy. Now we must whip you in the face with a rolled up newspaper. :eek:

picking on dawgs?
Bad boy. Now we must whip you in the face with a rolled up newspaper. :eek:

i heard of killing cows and pigs off, but dogs?!

cows and pigs produce enough fart gas, methane-filled, that makes the earth hotter as it is.

Dog meat is eaten throughout many areas in Africa and the far east. It is a legitimate source of food.

When Lewis and Clark reached the Pacific Northwest, they got so sick of eating salmon, that they bought a couple of dogs from the native americans and ate them.

I'd eat one of my neighbors brats before I ate one of my dogs

Baby, the other other white meat

fat_bastard.jpg

my dog and I have an agreement: If we are ever crashed on the other side of the Andes Mountains then he with the opposable thumb gets to eat the other one.

New Topics

Forum List

Back