Eastern monarch butterflies at risk of extinction unless numbers increase

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Long-term declines in the overwintering eastern population of North American monarch butterflies are significantly increasing their likelihood of becoming extinct over the next two decades, according to Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego and U.S. Geological Survey research published today.

The new study, available in the journal Scientific Reports, found that the Eastern migratory monarch population declined by 84 percent from the winter of 1996-1997 to the winter of 2014-2015. Using this information, the study demonstrated that there is a substantial chance – 11 to 57 percent – of quasi-extinction over the next 20 years. A quasi-extinct population is one with so few remaining individuals left that recovery is impossible. While the remaining individuals may survive for a short time, the population as a whole will inevitably go extinct.

"Because monarch numbers vary dramatically from year to year depending on weather and other factors, increasing the average population size is the single-most important way to provide these iconic butterflies with a much-needed buffer against extinction,” said Scripps biologist Brice Semmens, the lead author of the study who studies extinction risk in fish and other animal populations.

Semmens said that as an example of this variability, just after the analysis concluded, the World Wildlife Fund Mexico and partners reported a large increase in monarch numbers since last year. However, this increase was followed by a recent winter storm that may have adversely affected the population. The authors emphasized that although one good winter – as occurred this year – is positive news, higher average monarch numbers are necessary for reducing the long-term risk of quasi-extinction.

It looks as if they are off to good start though.

My understanding is that the problem is that Monsanto's GMO corn, made to be resistant to Monsanto's Roundup, has allowed farmers to plant enormously more corn in what would otherwise have been fields filled with weeds that Monarchs would have fed on.

My understanding is that the problem is that Monsanto's GMO corn, made to be resistant to Monsanto's Roundup, has allowed farmers to plant enormously more corn in what would otherwise have been fields filled with weeds that Monarchs would have fed on.
Corn usage in the U.S. is the greatest con in the thousands year history of farming.

Corn usage in the U.S. is the greatest con in the thousands year history of farming.
but...but ethanol....how will we save the planet without it

Long-term declines in the overwintering eastern population of North American monarch butterflies are significantly increasing their likelihood of becoming extinct over the next two decades, according to Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego and U.S. Geological Survey research published today.

The new study, available in the journal Scientific Reports, found that the Eastern migratory monarch population declined by 84 percent from the winter of 1996-1997 to the winter of 2014-2015. Using this information, the study demonstrated that there is a substantial chance – 11 to 57 percent – of quasi-extinction over the next 20 years. A quasi-extinct population is one with so few remaining individuals left that recovery is impossible. While the remaining individuals may survive for a short time, the population as a whole will inevitably go extinct.

"Because monarch numbers vary dramatically from year to year depending on weather and other factors, increasing the average population size is the single-most important way to provide these iconic butterflies with a much-needed buffer against extinction,” said Scripps biologist Brice Semmens, the lead author of the study who studies extinction risk in fish and other animal populations.

Semmens said that as an example of this variability, just after the analysis concluded, the World Wildlife Fund Mexico and partners reported a large increase in monarch numbers since last year. However, this increase was followed by a recent winter storm that may have adversely affected the population. The authors emphasized that although one good winter – as occurred this year – is positive news, higher average monarch numbers are necessary for reducing the long-term risk of quasi-extinction.

It looks as if they are off to good start though.
Well, I'd hate to see them leave, but a non aerodynamic insect migrating thousands of miles over 5 generations every year may be just what Darwin was talking about.

but...but ethanol....how will we save the planet without it
Find me a single republican politician in an ethanol state that opposes ethanol. Though I'm sure they don't give a flip about saving the planet.

Ted Cruz is strongly opposed to the renewable fuel standard (RFS), which mandates that all gas sold in the US include a certain percentage of biofuels like ethanol. Ted Cruz's war on ethanol mandates Theres your guy to vote for to save the planet.....chop chop
Cruz will be out of politics in 2 years. I'm not going to support a loser.
Soybean-based biodiesel is more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels, a new study says.

Corn-grain ethanol, however—currently touted in a General Motors ad campaign titled "Live Green, Go Yellow"—is not.

"There are surprisingly large environmental impacts for corn-grain ethanol," said Jason Hill, a biologist with the University of Minnesota in St. Paul.

Ethanol Not So Green After All?

Ted Cruz is strongly opposed to the renewable fuel standard (RFS), which mandates that all gas sold in the US include a certain percentage of biofuels like ethanol. Ted Cruz's war on ethanol mandates Theres your guy to vote for to save the planet.....chop chop
Cruz will be out of politics in 2 years. I'm not going to support a loser.
Soybean-based biodiesel is more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels, a new study says.

Corn-grain ethanol, however—currently touted in a General Motors ad campaign titled "Live Green, Go Yellow"—is not.

"There are surprisingly large environmental impacts for corn-grain ethanol," said Jason Hill, a biologist with the University of Minnesota in St. Paul.

Ethanol Not So Green After All?
Yes ethanol is stupid.

Bullshit

Bullshit

Not so much...

It isn't so much about GMO corn as the ethanol mandate....huge swaths of land that would otherwise be fallow and overrun with milkweed are now cultivated and the loss of the milkweed is a loss of a major food source for the monarch butterfly...

Chalk up one more environmental disaster for the kings of unintended consequences.

Might I suggest anyone with an interest in helping the Monarch plant asclepias (milkweed) around their property. It is as easy to grow as any other weed and has a colorful and attractive flower in red, orange and yellow. We have had a fair-sized butterfly garden for over 20 years and have dozens of them. The numbers of monarchs we see has declined over the years, but we do still see them.

As for Elektra's "Bullshit" and SSDD's "Not so much"

Tracking the Causes of Sharp <br/> Decline of the Monarch Butterfly by Richard Conniff: Yale Environment 360

In an interview with Yale Environment 360contributor Richard Conniff, Taylor — founder and director of Monarch Watch, a conservation and outreach program — talked about the factors that have led to the sharp drop in the monarch population. Among them, Taylor said, is the increased planting of genetically modified corn in the U.S. Midwest, which has led to greater use of herbicides, which in turn kills the milkweed that is a prime food source for the butterflies.

Bullshit

Not so much...

It isn't so much about GMO corn as the ethanol mandate....huge swaths of land that would otherwise be fallow and overrun with milkweed are now cultivated and the loss of the milkweed is a loss of a major food source for the monarch butterfly...

Chalk up one more environmental disaster for the kings of unintended consequences.
Is it really that simple? It takes 5 generations of butterflies to make it to Mexico, where there is the most destruction of habitat. Can we simply blame it on Ethanol, I certainly would love to, beings I am against all forms of Renewable Energy. But, it is not that simple. From my simple searches two winters of severe storms in Mexico wrecked havoc on the Monarchs as well as much of the forest in Mexico is gone as well. Researchers have also found less eggs laid on the Milkweeds meaning less butterflies returned.

Monarch population rebounds as NRDC sues EPA for not stopping 'Armageddon'--Are GMOs the problem? | Genetic Literacy Project

The latest yearly count of the monarch butterfly shows a dramatic increase in their numbers, partly reversing at least temporarily recent sharp declines. Scientists with World Wildlife Fund Mexico estimate that some 56.5 million monarchs gathered for the winter after their trek across the United States—up more than 60 percent from last year, when 34 million were counted in Mexico’s Sierra Madre.

Forum List

Back