East Timor's Unfinished Business Has The US & EU Up In Arms

Discussion in 'Asia' started by NATO AIR, Nov 8, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    what a wonderful country, east timor, how sad they had to endure brutal violence for making their yearnings for freedom known... now they are free and want justice, but their government is trying to move on... which is more important?

justice or prosperity?

2. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    NATO: I swear, if Powell resigns as Secretary of State, I'm gonna recommend that GW appoint you. I'd forgot all about East Timor. So what is the right way to go.....forget that people died in the fight for freedom and forget the oppressors, and sell out to the global economy that sadly will keep them in a third world status as long as they can, but is that somehow better than the abject poverty now. Jeez, this stuff just keeps swirling around and around and just keeps coming back on us.

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Frankly, they don't have much of a choice but to try and put it behind them for peace. Indonesia (Muslims) surrounds them (don't forget, the Timorese are Catholic) and they saw what happened to the Chinese-Indonesians in the 1998 riots and that is something they don't want to happen to them.

Everybody has forgotten the autrocities carried out against the Catholic and Buddhist Chinese in Jakarta and other parts of Indonesia during and after the fall of Suaharto.

I had a lot of Chinese-Indo friends that left Indonesia after all that took place. The media here hardly covered it and the blogs were not like they are now. They got the word out by sending emails with pictures (usually taken by the Indonesian soldiers committing the crimes) of women being raped, burned with cigarettes on their privates, etc. and men having their penises chopped off, their heads chopped off, etc. It was bad and like I said, hardly even covered by the Western media.

Indonesian Treatment of Ethnic Chinese

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    free, i met a bartender when we were on port call in singapore who had fled indonesia after that. he told me about the horrible things the indonesian police and military had done. truly an awful day. credit must be given to amnesty international and human rights watch, who both lost members to torture and murder who were trying to compile and report what was happening. their efforts helped CNN to be the lone western media agency to actually report and profile the violence for several days.

i think you are right to the extent that indonesia does surround them. however, we can hope the indonesian government (which is now a democracy and has a new president) will avoid this sort of divisive violence in the future. we'll see though. i still think justice at least in the cases of the generals should happen.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    thank you. :)

however, i couldn't stomach being a diplomat like powell is now. having to sit in the same room and talk with some of the monsters he has to hobnob with a regular basis would make me physically ill.

sadly, i believe that the people of east timor will have to put all this behind them and move on. i think there is another reason why the generals are being let off the hook... the folks who run the military in indonesia are likely scared to death of how much information the generals could give the west about the crimes they'd commited for decades both in east timor and in indonesia.

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    They are an Islamic democracy, just like Malaysia and very, very, very corrupt. Just like Malaysia. Believe me, I spent a LOT of time in both of those countries and NOTHING is going to happen to Muslim Generals. Period.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i would agree with that observation.