East coast earthquake

Just talked to my wife. House sustained no damage -- We're prolly 50 miles from the epicenter. She said it was really loud rumbling and the walls shook (maybe moved) felt like a big blast of wind (without the wind part).

All I can say is it's bigger than any quakes i went through living in Cali. I know they have them occasionally, but I never was in one bigger. And like someone else said, you can keep them out there. Funny thing is we were just in San Francisco about 2 weeks ago wondering if there would be a quake while we were there. Come back here and wham! :lol:

Being a house painter I can bet you guys probably have some nail pops that need to be fixed now :thup:

Just talked to my wife. House sustained no damage -- We're prolly 50 miles from the epicenter. She said it was really loud rumbling and the walls shook (maybe moved) felt like a big blast of wind (without the wind part).

All I can say is it's bigger than any quakes i went through living in Cali. I know they have them occasionally, but I never was in one bigger. And like someone else said, you can keep them out there. Funny thing is we were just in San Francisco about 2 weeks ago wondering if there would be a quake while we were there. Come back here and wham! :lol:

Being a house painter I can bet you guys probably have some nail pops that need to be fixed now :thup:
LMAO!

Every time we get a lil' shaker here, I climb the ladder to check out the top of the pergola over the back patio, and sure enogh, there's about 200 nails that have backed out......Pain in the ass is what it is.

LMAO!

Every time we get a lil' shaker here, I climb the ladder to check out the top of the pergola over the back patio, and sure enogh, there's about 200 nails that have backed out......Pain in the ass is what it is.

Run some lags into that baby.

Drudge has a pretty good collection of news accounts on his web page now and there are other sources availale. Apparently government buildings including the Pentagon were evacuated until engineers could pronounced them structurally safe. DC airports closed temporarily - cell phone service disrupted - a few ceiling tile came down at Reagan.

Epicenter near Richmond VA 5.8 - there was some minor damage, stuff tossed off shelves etc. near the epicenter. Was reading up that east coast quakes are felt for much further distances than are west coast quakes which is why even NYC got a bit of a shaking. Daughter lives in Arlington VA but was on business in Florida this week. She'll probably be sorry she missed it. She misses California where she lived near a major fault and they really had earthquakes.

We had a 5.3 quake in Northern NM/Southern CO last night that did do some minor structural damage to buildings.

Wham?

:lol:

wham.jpg

Wham?

wham.jpg

I'm out of rep or I'd have to Neg ya for that one

LMAO!

Run some lags into that baby.
Naaaaah, we're having it ripped out after the summer, and a new one will be built. It was built in the early eighties. It's the last thing we have to do to fully complete the restoration.

I'm feeling an odd sensation, still, in my head and it's screwing with my vision a bit.

Like I'm off center.

Is that normal or am I a bigger freak than I thought?

Depends where you are. If you're in a building built to withstand earthquakes, the structure will sway (slightly) which makes you feel dizzy.

Lake Anna Nuclear Power Plant just went off line becasue of the quake.
...voluntarily, by the way, as a precaution. We aren't evacuating the state just yet.

It was actually scarcely noticeable on the road. My car did that weird swaying kinda thing like when you're on a bridge and a big truck goes by, or there are really strong winds. cept there was no wind or truck.

Be glad you weren't on a freeway that buckled right in front of you, like the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) did near Century City in 1994.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist like Terral to notice that there's definitely been a fucking LOT of strange and unusual occurances in nature the last couple years.

All the tornados
All the earthquakes
1000's of birds randomly dying and dropping out of the sky
Same thing with fish

Everyone's got a threshold for accepting things as just coincidence and I think I'm starting to cross mine.

Mother Earth is pissed off at the abuse she's taken.

Not at all man, after it was over my vision was a little blurry and it still felt like i was shaking. My equilibrium was off for a little bit.

Thanks Paulie

I don't know what it is, but I have an odd sensation running from, where the 3rd eye would be, staight to the base of my skull.
and everything still has an odd "shadow" to it.

Get your wife to slap you - hard - across the face.

Trust me, I'm a Californian. We know about these things.

Oh, and a 5.8.... that's not an earthquake.... it's hardly even a tremor where I come from.

Wimps.

Although the first can be pretty scary. After that, in CA anyway, we can almost smell one coming and unless the quake is a big one and lasts more than a minute it's ho-hum. Shortly after I moved back to VT, I felt an earthquake about 5:30AM and when I got to work started asking if anyone had felt it. They looked at me like I was nuts. Turns out it was a 3.5 and lasted about 5 seconds, but after 18 years in CA, I was programmed to tell the difference between a semi going by and a tremor.

Lake Anna Nuclear Power Plant just went off line becasue of the quake.
...voluntarily, by the way, as a precaution. We aren't evacuating the state just yet.

It was actually scarcely noticeable on the road. My car did that weird swaying kinda thing like when you're on a bridge and a big truck goes by, or there are really strong winds. cept there was no wind or truck.

Be glad you weren't on a freeway that buckled right in front of you, like the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) did near Century City in 1994.
How about the LAPD motor officer who went right off the end of a bridge when the 14/5 interchange collapsed in Newhall, while he was on his way to work that morning?

Hell of a way to die.

You were last in a 6 or above when CG? This was a 100 year quake here. Last time there was one bigger was 1897. We get to say wham. Obviously, other than some stone falling off the National Cathedral we didn't have structural damage, so no one is pretending it's some big bad quake or anything (by comparative measures), but when the ground NEVER moves and then you get a 5.9, it's a big fucking deal.

It's like LA getting hit by a Category 2 hurricane. We east coasters would tell you to let us know when you had a real hurricane, but you'd be pretty impressed.

Meh, I have relatives in hurricane areas.... been there, done that, and I really do have the tee shirt. :lol:

I just don't scare easy.

I hope you never have to find out just how brave you are. My parents lived in Mississippi when Camille hit, in a horseshoe shaped two-story apartment complex overlooking the Gulf in Pass Christian. My brother, then in college, and his roommates bragged they were going to ride it out, played poker until water started coming across the lawn and the winds began breaking the windows. They moved their game to a bar on higher ground further inland. The next day, the whole apartment complex had been leveled. My parents lost everything in their apartment, but thankfully it was an interim living situation as their house was being built, so much of their "stuff" was in storage. Others weren't so lucky. Most lost everything they owned, and 17 people died because they "didn't scare easy." Just saying.

USMB Member Chime in on the causes of the Earthquake

Terral: Obama's Earthquake Machine

Rdean: Tea Party to Blame!

Forum List

Back