East coast earthquake

Just talked to my wife. House sustained no damage -- We're prolly 50 miles from the epicenter. She said it was really loud rumbling and the walls shook (maybe moved) felt like a big blast of wind (without the wind part).

All I can say is it's bigger than any quakes i went through living in Cali. I know they have them occasionally, but I never was in one bigger. And like someone else said, you can keep them out there. Funny thing is we were just in San Francisco about 2 weeks ago wondering if there would be a quake while we were there. Come back here and wham! :lol:

Wham?

:lol:

Just talked to my wife. House sustained no damage -- We're prolly 50 miles from the epicenter. She said it was really loud rumbling and the walls shook (maybe moved) felt like a big blast of wind (without the wind part).

All I can say is it's bigger than any quakes i went through living in Cali. I know they have them occasionally, but I never was in one bigger. And like someone else said, you can keep them out there. Funny thing is we were just in San Francisco about 2 weeks ago wondering if there would be a quake while we were there. Come back here and wham! :lol:

Wham?

You were last in a 6 or above when CG? This was a 100 year quake here. Last time there was one bigger was 1897. We get to say wham. Obviously, other than some stone falling off the National Cathedral we didn't have structural damage, so no one is pretending it's some big bad quake or anything (by comparative measures), but when the ground NEVER moves and then you get a 5.9, it's a big fucking deal.

It's like LA getting hit by a Category 2 hurricane. We east coasters would tell you to let us know when you had a real hurricane, but you'd be pretty impressed.

Wham?

You were last in a 6 or above when CG? This was a 100 year quake here. Last time there was one bigger was 1897. We get to say wham. Obviously, other than some stone falling off the National Cathedral we didn't have structural damage, so no one is pretending it's some big bad quake or anything (by comparative measures), but when the ground NEVER moves and then you get a 5.9, it's a big fucking deal.

It's like LA getting hit by a Category 2 hurricane. We east coasters would tell you to let us know when you had a real hurricane, but you'd be pretty impressed.

Meh, I have relatives in hurricane areas.... been there, done that, and I really do have the tee shirt. :lol:

I just don't scare easy.

Last edited:
A 5.8 is moderate. In Calif, only those close to the epicenter would feel it, because when the waves hit another fault, they kinda dissipate. The east coast is one solid plate, so the waves can just keep on going. Also, it was shallow, so folks within 50 miles of the epicenter probably felt a pretty good jolt.

But I've gotta laugh about the east coasts' lack of earthquake awareness. The last thing you do is go running out into the street, so all the glass and debris can rain down on you. Hell, they evacuated nearly every building from NYC to DC! LOL! From what I saw, not even a pane of glass broke in DC or NYC. Might be a few broken windows in Virginia, though.

Wolf Blitzer was funny. His eyes were huge as he described this violant shaking that lasted 25 or 30 seconds. An hour later, they found one of their cameras had been rolling and they caught it on film. When they showed the film, I lol'd! It showed a piece of studio scenery jiggling for about 4 seconds. That's it. Four seconds. Hell, when I was a kid an earthquake threw the entire bed across a carpeted floor, with me in it! Now THAT is an earthquake. :D

Last edited:
A 5.8 is moderate. In Calif, only those close to the epicenter would feel it, because when the waves hit another fault, they kinda dissipate. The east coast is one solid plate, so the waves can just keep on going. Also, it was shallow, so folks within 50 miles of the epicenter probably felt a pretty good jolt.

But I've gotta laugh about the east coasts' lack of earthquake awareness. The last thing you do is go running out into the street, so all the glass and debris can rain down on you. Hell, the evacuated nearly every building from NYC to DC! LOL! From what I saw, not even a pane of glass broke in DC or NYC. Might be a few broken windows in Virginia, though.

Wolf Blitzer was funny. His eyes were huge as he described this violant shaking that lasted 25 or 30 seconds. An hour later, they found one of their cameras had been rolling and they caught it on film. When they showed the flm, I lol'd! It showed a piece of studio scenery jiggling for about 4 seconds. That's it. Four seconds. Hell, when I was a kid an earthquake threw the entire bed across a carpeted floor, with me in it! Now THAT is an earthquake. :D

LOL. Ain't that just like a man.... add a few inches for dramatic effect and think no one will notice.

But I've gotta laugh about the east coasts' lack of earthquake awareness. The last thing you do is go running out into the street, so all the glass and debris can rain down on you. Hell, they evacuated nearly every building from NYC to DC! LOL! From what I saw, not even a pane of glass broke in DC or NYC. Might be a few broken windows in Virginia, though.

Wolf Blitzer was funny. His eyes were huge as he described this violant shaking that lasted 25 or 30 seconds. An hour later, they found one of their cameras had been rolling and they caught it on film. When they showed the film, I lol'd! It showed a piece of studio scenery jiggling for about 4 seconds. That's it. Four seconds. Hell, when I was a kid an earthquake threw the entire bed across a carpeted floor, with me in it! Now THAT is an earthquake. :D

Well, who gives a fuck what "Wolf Blitzer" says -

The SOB lasted 40+ seconds and scared the living shit out of my son an I

Lake Anna Nuclear Power Plant just went off line becasue of the quake. Lousia County VA

Just caught it on the news

The Plant is 6 or 7 miles from the epi-center, it did exactly what it was designed to do, shut down.

The report I saw on the Feds - Office of Personnel Management site was that one of the two nuke plants lost outside power and had to go to generator. That was the reason for the shut down.

Was about 35 minutes south of where we live (closer towards the epicenter) checking out a new large thrift store. When it hit people started screaming and running for the doors while my wife and I just stood there watching the unnecessary panic. It only lasted a few seconds and wasn't that bad, nothing fell off the shelves (I've been in much worse earthquakes while living in the orient). Well people everywhere freaked and left work for home all around the same time which meant our 35 minute drive suddenly became an hour and a half.
Looks like the only real damage in this area is to the old National Cathedral and the Smithsonian Castle downtown in DC.

Last edited:

Damn you I should neg you for bring one of their babies home with you.:lol:

LOL....well you could but I don't think it would help. Say don't you have a hurricane to get ready for?

yes I do but I have lived through Hugo Fran and emily so I am not to worried.

Well, whether it bounced the camera around or not, you could feel it shaking for more than 30 seconds. The general consensus in the office is 40 seconds. It sort of started slow like a train rolling by and built. At the very end it intensified and felt like a roll and then stopped.

In Virginia, it apparently took out power to one nuke plant. So, there was some damage of some sort along the power lines. None aside from National Cathedral and one embassy in the city that I have heard of. Nothing at my house got knocked off the wall or anything.

Definitely right about quake preparedness here. Nobody had a clue about what to do. We were joking about calling our Orange county, CA office for instructions.

Lake Anna Nuclear Power Plant just went off line becasue of the quake. Lousia County VA

Just caught it on the news

The Plant is 6 or 7 miles from the epi-center, it did exactly what it was designed to do, shut down.

The report I saw on the Feds - Office of Personnel Management site was that one of the two nuke plants lost outside power and had to go to generator. That was the reason for the shut down.

Nuclear power.....where nothing can possibly go wrong...go wrong....go wrong... go wrong...

I was living in Burbank when the Northridge Quake hit. My future wife and I were renting a lil' house in the foothills. We were dead asleep when all oven a sudden I was picked up, thrown over my wife, slammed into the window air conditioner next to our bed, and then thrown about 6 feet back over my wife onto the bedroom floor........You could literally feel the shockwaves hitting the foothills and reverberating back towards nothridge and the epicenter. That lil' house was literall hanging off the foundation. Needless to say, we had to move........My brother was living in Winnetka, literally a half mile from the epicenter. I couldn't get hold of him, and was seeing the devestation on the news in his area. Driving across the valley was as surreal as any war zone i've been in......Just devastation everywhere. Literally 50 to 100 foot flames shooting in the air from broken gas mains...Streets literally looked like someone took a knife and just ripped 'em, wide open. My brothers neighborhood was just decimated. I pulled up into his driveway, and literally half of his house was gone. Only the garage and bedroom areas remained....He was standing there in the front yard with his wife and two kids, and all four of 'em were just dazed and in shock.

Yep, crazy friggin' times indeed.

5.9?.....Pffft, whimps!:cool:

Last edited:
Was about 35 minutes south of where we live (closer towards the epicenter) checking out a new large thrift store. When it hit people started screaming and running for the doors while my wife and I just stood there watching the unnecessary panic. It only lasted a few seconds and wasn't that bad, nothing fell off the shelves (I've been in much worse earthquakes while living in the orient). Well people everywhere freaked and left work for home all around the same time which meant our 35 minute drive suddenly became an hour and a half.
Looks like the only real damage in this area is to the old National Cathedral and the Smithsonian Castle downtown in DC.

ACK....I know. I'm still in DC. I drove in for the first time in almost a year. And, what happens? we have a flipping earthquake. And, of course no big event in DC is complete until everyone gets in their cars and promptly runs into each other. Which they have at this point. Hopefully, I'll be home before 8 pm.

Well, whether it bounced the camera around or not, you could feel it shaking for more than 30 seconds. The general consensus in the office is 40 seconds. It sort of started slow like a train rolling by and built. At the very end it intensified and felt like a roll and then stopped.

In Virginia, it apparently took out power to one nuke plant. So, there was some damage of some sort along the power lines. None aside from National Cathedral and one embassy in the city that I have heard of. Nothing at my house got knocked off the wall or anything.

Definitely right about quake preparedness here. Nobody had a clue about what to do. We were joking about calling our Orange county, CA office for instructions.

Looks like a lot more damage in Culpepper.

I was living in Burbank when the Northridge Quake hit. My future wife and I were renting a lil' house in the foothills. We were dead asleep when all oven a sudden I was picked up, thrown over my wife, slammed into the window air conditioner next to our bed, and then thrown about 6 feet back over my wife onto the bedroom floor........You could literally feel the shockwaves hitting the foothills and reverberating back towards nothridge and the epicenter. That lil' house was literall hanging off the foundation. Needless to say, we had to move........My brother was living in Winnetka, literally a half mile from the epicenter. I couldn't hold of him, and was seeing the devestation on the news in his area. Driving across the valley was as surreal as any war zone i've been in......Just devastation everywhere. Literally 50 to 100 foot flames shooting in the air from broken gas mains...Streets literally looked like someone took a knife and just ripped 'em, wide open. My brothers neighborhood was just decimated. I pulled up into his driveway, and literally half of his house was gone. Only the garage and bedroom areas remained....He was standing there in the front yard with his wife and two kids, and all four of 'em were just dazed and in shock.

You you've been warned and you still live there???? Huh.

First an earthquake...and next a hurricane....

God is punishing us for electing Bob McDonnell!

I was living in Burbank when the Northridge Quake hit. My future wife and I were renting a lil' house in the foothills. We were dead asleep when all oven a sudden I was picked up, thrown over my wife, slammed into the window air conditioner next to our bed, and then thrown about 6 feet back over my wife onto the bedroom floor........You could literally feel the shockwaves hitting the foothills and reverberating back towards nothridge and the epicenter. That lil' house was literall hanging off the foundation. Needless to say, we had to move........My brother was living in Winnetka, literally a half mile from the epicenter. I couldn't hold of him, and was seeing the devestation on the news in his area. Driving across the valley was as surreal as any war zone i've been in......Just devastation everywhere. Literally 50 to 100 foot flames shooting in the air from broken gas mains...Streets literally looked like someone took a knife and just ripped 'em, wide open. My brothers neighborhood was just decimated. I pulled up into his driveway, and literally half of his house was gone. Only the garage and bedroom areas remained....He was standing there in the front yard with his wife and two kids, and all four of 'em were just dazed and in shock.

You you've been warned and you still live there???? Huh.
Yeah, we're not leaving....Shit happens no matter where you live......Our house here in Malibu is completely earthquake retrofitted..That's one of the first things we did when we bought it, and started the restoration on it. It literally sits on rubber pads, and is rated to withstand an 8.0, but would probably handle a little larger quake......Our main worry would be the hillside giving way, and taking us straight down into the ocean. But the soil studies show that it's highly unlikely.

Quakes are going to happen, just the same as brush fires in the area. You can't live in fear of it. Just be prepared for when it happens.

Forum List

Back