Eason V Mattis

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Gotta wonder about the ink:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001435.htm

Michelle has it, links at site:

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is calling on the Pentagon to discipline Lt. Gen. James Mattis, who earlier this week said it is "fun to shoot some people."

"We do not need generals who treat the grim business of war as a sporting event," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad. "These disturbing remarks are indicative of an apparent indifference to the value of human life." Awad urged that "appropriate disciplinary action" be taken against Gen. Mattis.
God forbid a Marine be permitted to speak his mind.

Ralph Peters writes a passionate defense of Mattis in this morning's New York Post:

The language wasn't elegant. But we don't need prissy military leaders. We need generals who talk straight and shoot straight, men who inspire. And I guarantee you that any real Marine or soldier would follow Gen. Mattis.

Peters nails it, as always.

Meanwhile, several bloggers are asking why the MSM has devoted so much ink to Mattis' comments while ignoring the alleged slime assertions of CNN bigwig Eason Jordan in Davos.

Maybe Washington Post/CNN media maven Howard Kurtz can answer that tomorrow.

Update: Gerard Vanderleun at American Digest, another of my favorite must-reads you should bookmark, explains Eason Jordan and the Unwritten Blacklist.

And if you're catching up after a busy week on all the EJ/Davos controversy, check LaShawn Barber, Hugh Hewitt, and Captain's Quarters for recaps and updates.

All eyes are on this blog for video of Jordan's remarks.

Jack Kelly's column on the media as anti-U.S. military dupes is here.

And via Powerline, we learn of a new group blog dedicated to Easongate.

Ex-CNN journalist Rebecca MacKinnon, who was in attendance at the Jordan/Davos panel in question, is doing her own tracking of Easongate and observes:

So far, most of the activity is on the right-hand side of the political spectrum, with center and left blogs plus non-rightwing MSM largely silent.
It's pretty clear that the Right is light-years ahead of the Left (or the center) when it comes to blogstorm warfare tactics.

Yup.

Granny says, "Dat's right - he'll knock dem politicians dat don't know how to win a war on dey's cans...
icon_grandma.gif

Mattis: Time for a 'Mad Dog' at Pentagon?
Nov 24, 2016 | The prospect of James Mattis being named as Secretary of Defense has sparked excitement among former Marines who served under him.
Is the time ripe for a "Mad Dog" to lead the Defense Department, just as an unconventional president takes the helm? Or will the president-elect, with his famously thin skin for criticism, shy away from a defense secretary known for his bluntness? Marines of all stripes expressed excitement about the prospect of retired Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis -- a revered figure who led Camp Pendleton troops into battle in Iraq -- being considered to head the Pentagon. Mattis, who retired with four stars in 2013, met with President-elect Donald Trump this weekend as a candidate on the short list to direct the Defense Department. Afterward, Trump called the retired Marine icon "impressive" in a tweet.

Mattis is, perhaps, a dark-horse candidate. Other prospects are proven politicians, more likely to smoothly navigate Capitol Hill and without the need for a waiver from Congress to serve. Federal statute dictates a seven-year gap after active military service for a defense secretary. The other reported top contenders are Sen. Jim Talent, a Republican from Missouri; Stephen Hadley, former national-security adviser under George W. Bush; and Sen. Tom Cotton, a first-term Republican from Arkansas who served as an Army officer in Iraq and Afghanistan. San Diego County Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, also a Marine Corps veteran, was discussed as an early possibility.

mattis112416.jpg

Lt. Gen. James Mattis speaks to members of Marine Wing Support Group 27 in Al Asad, Iraq.​

But Mattis' name has sparked the most excitement -- in the media, and among former Marines who served under him. "I consider the time I spent on his personal staff as THE formative experience of my time in the Marine Corps. Hands down, he was the best leader that I ever served with," said Joe Plenzler, a retired Marine public affairs officer who did tours under Mattis at Camp Pendleton. Joe Chenelly was a young enlisted Marine in late 2001 when Mattis led Task Force 58 into Afghanistan. "It's my personal opinion that we've been at war for 15 straight years because, in part, we haven't had enough real warriors at the helm. General Mattis could change that," Chenelly said. Task Force 58 was the first large U.S. ground force in that nation, and Mattis was just a one-star from Pendleton at the time. He was already making waves with his blunt talk.

U.S. officials blanched when Mattis was quoted as saying, "The Marines have landed and we now own a piece of Afghanistan" -- even though the White House had said it didn't covet foreign territory. Mattis went on to lead San Diego County Marines in the initial invasion of Iraq in 2003 and the bloody Fallujah campaign of 2004. He later had a hand in writing the counterinsurgency doctrine that helped turn around the deadly Al Anbar district after 2006. But his frank comments continued to be a headache for Pentagon brass, such as at a 2005 panel discussion in San Diego. Mattis now famously said: "Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot. ... I like brawling." He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway."

MORE

Forum List

Back