Earth's Rotation Affected by Earthquake

ajwps

Nov 7, 2003
Houston, TX
An 8.9-magnitude earthquake, centered off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

Look for this earthquake to effect the earth's current weather and seismic events in the next few weeks.

NATO AIR said:
that's incredible, and a bit worrisome. :eek:

Nato why do you find this event worrisome?

All matter in the universe is neither more nor less than condensed energy. This includes all physical beings on what we assume to be planet earth including events which seem to occur in front of our 5 senses.

The earth has been through much worse in history and yet nothing has sent the earth flying off its course around the sun and in its position in the Milky-Way.

ajwps said:
Nato why do you find this event worrisome?

All matter in the universe is neither more nor less than condensed energy. This includes all physical beings on what we assume to be planet earth including events which seem to occur in front of our 5 senses.

The earth has been through much worse in history and yet nothing has sent the earth flying off its course around the sun and in its position in the Milky-Way.
There's always a first time ! lol

dilloduck said:
There's always a first time ! lol

But this isn't the first time.

The very recent data from the International Earth Rotation Service
show numbers which allow calculating Delta T for June 13, June 14, and
June 20 of 2001:

June 13, 2001, Delta T = 64.208477 seconds
June 14, 2001, Delta T = 64.208550 seconds
June 20, 2001, Delta T= 64.209395 seconds

tworx384.gif

I was think more in terms of a large asteroid hit that could cause dangerous conditions for human life. Nature has a variety of methods to alter the course of man's existence that man can do nothing about. Fear may be a naive response but a natural one ,wouldn't you agree?

dilloduck said:
I was think more in terms of a large asteroid hit that could cause dangerous conditions for human life. Nature has a variety of methods to alter the course of man's existence that man can do nothing about. Fear may be a naive response but a natural one ,wouldn't you agree?

Fear is a naive repsonse but not necessary at all.

The mere fact that this single planet exists in the universe with every minute detail fixed for existence and consciousness leaves one more fear and awe than any natural or man made event that might end it all.

Statistically the odds for this myriad of coinicidences of life in this existence on a dust speck is so infintesimally small (as to be impossible) that there is absolutely no reason to fear all life coming to an end by default.

ajwps said:
Fear is a naive repsonse but not necessary at all.

The mere fact that this single planet exists in the universe with every minute detail fixed for existence and consciousness leaves one more fear and awe than any natural or man made event that might end it all.

Statistically the odds for this myriad of coinicidences of life in this existence on a dust speck is so infintesimally small (as to be impossible) that there is absolutely no reason to fear all life coming to an end by default.

I didn't say "necessary"---I said "natural'.

dilloduck said:
I didn't say "necessary"---I said "natural'.

Fear is relative as to who might find it to be natural or to those who might find fear not necessary.

IOW, fear of an earthly disaster is not natural to ALL or even MOST.

ajwps said:
Fear is relative as to who might find it to be natural or to those who might find fear not necessary.

IOW, fear of an earthly disaster is not natural to ALL or even MOST.

LMAO--ok oh resistant one-----how about fear being a fairly "common" reaction when a large natural disaster occurs ?

dilloduck said:
LMAO--ok oh resistant one-----how about fear being a fairly "common" reaction when a large natural disaster occurs ?

Alright.... Naturual fear is one of the reactions of man. It's origin is found in the area of the lower brainstem.

Example of lack of fear:

One-trillionth of a second before the blast in Nagasaki Japan in 1946.

How many of the inhabitants of that city had a natural fear of the unknown disaster about to befall them?

If a natural disaster strikes earth not only will you not have natural fear but you won't even know what happened to you. If you have natural fear of the the large asteroid scheduled to either strike or nearly miss earth in 2029, you have a long time to worry and fret.

But in reality it is irrelevant unless you are watching too much Twilight Zone or Dr. Strangelove.

ajwps said:
Alright.... Naturual fear is one of the reactions of man. It's origin is found in the area of the lower brainstem.

Example of lack of fear:

One-trillionth of a second before the blast in Nagasaki Japan in 1946.

How many of the inhabitants of that city had a natural fear of the unknown disaster about to befall them?

If a natural disaster strikes earth not only will you not have natural fear but you won't even know what happened to you. If you have natural fear of the the large asteroid scheduled to either strike or nearly miss earth in 2029, you have a long time to worry and fret.

But in reality it is irrelevant unless you are watching too much Twilight Zone or Dr. Strangelove.

Possibly NATO found this event "worrisome" because he is currently near the area affected or is concerned for the welfare of the people affected---even an effect on global economy may be considered.

The Japanese definately feared ANOTHER nuclear attack--maybe even found it worrisome.
What is it that you DO consider relevant?

dilloduck said:
Possibly NATO found this event "worrisome" because he is currently near the area affected or is concerned for the welfare of the people affected---even an effect on global economy may be considered.

The Japanese definately feared ANOTHER nuclear attack--maybe even found it worrisome.
What is it that you DO consider relevant?

We were talking about 'natural fear' and not something worrisome.

Somewhat relevant is the fear of the unknown.

It may be worrisome for NATO who may have concerns about his or others survival on the earth. But conscious awareness on the level of personal existence has difficulty with comprehending the possibility that a natural or man made event may or may not suddenly end one's life or all life as we know it.

ajwps said:
We were talking about 'natural fear' and not something worrisome.

Somewhat relevant is the fear of the unknown.

It may be worrisome for NATO who may have concerns about his or others survival on the earth. But conscious awareness on the level of personal existence has difficulty with comprehending the possibility that a natural or man made event may or may not suddenly end one's life or all life as we know it.
NATO specifically said "worrisome". Is fear of the known relevant , natural, common , rational.?

:rotflmao: this is over my head at this point... hit me back in 3 years when i'm back in college and not so stressed out and can handle a great "life and nature" discussion like this. :happy2:

on a serious note though, i am heartbroken over the many who died, and for their families who now must deal with their deaths. i will guess a considerable number of those who died were fishermen, men who are the main providers for their family and community.

NATO AIR said:
:rotflmao: this is over my head at this point... hit me back in 3 years when i'm back in college and not so stressed out and can handle a great "life and nature" discussion like this. :happy2:

on a serious note though, i am heartbroken over the many who died, and for their families who now must deal with their deaths. i will guess a considerable number of those who died were fishermen, men who are the main providers for their family and community.

LOL AJ is over everyones' head-----huge tragedy --over 10,000 dead and rising.

dilloduck said:
NATO specifically said "worrisome". Is fear of the known relevant , natural, common , rational.?

Nato and just about everyone else who lives in a sane world has something 'worrisome' in their lives. The same concepts apply to 'fear of things' which are also a part of the human condition.

All these common ordinary concepts are relevant, natural and rational only as long as our minds allow us to be aware of our 5 senses relative to our daily existence.

Whether it be a change in the rotation of the earth relative to its position to the sun as it moves around it or whether it be problems with paying our bills, existense becomes irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Humans must first understand that everything does not rotate around each of us and that the same course of events for everybody was the same as it was before our existence and will continue afterward into infinity.

IMHO

ajwps said:
Nato and just about everyone else who lives in a sane world has something 'worrisome' in their lives. The same concepts apply to 'fear of things' which are also a part of the human condition.

All these common ordinary concepts are relevant, natural and rational only as long as our minds allow us to be aware of our 5 senses relative to our daily existence.

Whether it be a change in the rotation of the earth relative to its position to the sun as it moves around it or whether it be problems with paying our bills, existense becomes irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Humans must first understand that everything does not rotate around each of us and that the same course of events for everybody was the same as it was before our existence and will continue afterward into infinity.

IMHO

I can see the merits and truth of that statement.

I personally feel while everything does not revolve around you or anyone else, you should do your best to influence events in a positive way to leave behind a better position and situation for others.

dilloduck said:
LOL AJ is over everyones' head-----huge tragedy --over 10,000 dead and rising.

This hasn't stopped you in the past dilloduck.

10,000 dead and rising is the number of human lives lost in a giant Sunami wave. Many more thousands of human beings died today from natural causes like AIDs and murders of populations in third world countries or starvation in sub-Saharan deserts.

Human suffering and death occurs ten times this amount every day of every year of every century. This tragedy is a part of our awareness and many send in their dollars to feed hungry children but to what avail?

So is the cycle of the living cells in your blood stream and the bacteria in your intestines.

What would you like to do about it?

NATO AIR said:
I can see the merits and truth of that statement.

I personally feel while everything does not revolve around you or anyone else, you should do your best to influence events in a positive way to leave behind a better position and situation for others.

IMHO you have hit the nail on the head.

It is my impression that our sole purpose on this planet is nothing more or less than following the path of good and not evil. As our every action, little or great effects all other beings.

Forum List

Back