Earth's Near Miss..... July 27, 2019

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
'City Killer' Asteroid Came Scarily Close To Earth Yesterday

"Okay, we evaded disaster by approximately 0.19 lunar orbits, but in terms of space distance, this is a pretty narrow near miss indeed."

Its not AGW that is going to take us out.... Our systems didn't even register this asteroid. Had it impacted earth a city the size of NY would have become ashes and potential volcanic activity due to the shock-waves globally could have done serious damages.

From the Article;

"Estimated to be around 57 to 130 meters wide (187 to 427 feet) according to NASA data, this asteroid would have released more energy than the biggest nuclear bomb on the planet, capable of wiping out an entire city. If it had crashed into the ocean – as would have been the likelihood – it would have triggered colossal tsunamis.

This is reportedly the closest we’ve come to an Armageddon-esque scenario for a good few years, with a potentially catastrophic cocktail of size and closeness.

As reported by IFLScience!, this asteroid – casually named 2019 OK – snuck up on us, catching astronomers by surprise.

2019 OK was first observed last month, however its scalp-skimming orbit was only noticed a few short hours before it hurtled past. This is because it had approached Earth from the Sun side, only becoming visible at twilight."

"Okay, we evaded disaster by approximately 0.19 lunar orbits, but in terms of space distance, this is a pretty narrow near miss indeed."

Its not AGW that is going to take us out.... Our systems didn't even register this asteroid. Had it impacted earth a city the size of NY would have become ashes and potential volcanic activity due to the shock-waves globally could have done serious damages.

Oops......

Eh. As long as it doesn't hit where I live. :dunno:
If it had hit land mass, it wouldn't have mattered where you live on earth.. Dust would have entered the stratosphere from the impact and massive cooling would be the order of the next decade. Not to mention the volcanoes that would most certainly become active due to the shock waves. People just dont understand how these things can affect our globe in very short order..

In terms of space distance, china is like right up my arse......in terms of reality, not so much

Its a shooting gallery universe, and it might only be a matter of time before we are hit by a big one. But it could be a million years. Personally I hope the next one lands on Mecca.

I wonder if we could project a holographic bulls eye over L.A., NYC, and SF...

In terms of space distance, china is like right up my arse......in terms of reality, not so much
There is this thing called gravitational pull... It was close enough for earth to have grabbed it and pulled it in. Thank God its speed didn't allow that.

There is this thing called gravitational pull... It was close enough for earth to have grabbed it and pulled it in. Thank God its speed didn't allow that.

If it didn't have speed it wouldn't have been there to begin with :eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back