Earths Electromagnetic field may be reversing/with adverse consequences.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I saw a science show the other day ,were they state that the Earths electromagnetic field may have begun the process of reversing. This event occurs every 300,000.00 years, were
the North pole switches places with the south pole, with regards to polarity.

This reversal of the Earths magnetic field, can expose the Earth to dangerous UV radiation, as the reversal begins.

Without this Electromagnetic field, the Earths Ozone layer could be stripped from the outer atmosphere, along with
many other layers of the atmosphere.

Last edited:
While there are possibilities of detrimental effects, the number of times this field has reversed in the geological past, and the fact that there are no coresponding periods of extinction seems to indicate that this is not a major event for the biota on the Earth.

There is nothing in the record to indicate any of the times the field has reversed in the past have caused any kind of significant atmospheric changes or effects on land-based life of any kind. Let me guess, somebody's selling gloom and doom on the History Channel again?

I saw a science show the other day ,were they state that the Earths electromagnetic field may have begun the process of reversing. This event occurs every 300,000.00 years, were

This reversal of the Earths magnetic field, can expose the Earth to dangerous UV radiation, as the reversal begins.

Without this Electromagnetic field, the Earths Ozone layer could be stripped from the outer atmosphere, along with

WRONG it switches at RANDOM intervals and if that would kill us then the whole mamal population would have been killed of some time ago. The reversal will be virtually INSTANT and does NOT pose a threat. You know how I KNOW this? Because I studied it in my geology class.

Look it up for yourself.

That would require some work, Cold.

It's the same thing as the 2012 galactic non-alignment hoopla and the Yellowstone brouhaha and the Moon conspirators and their prattling about the Van Allen belts. It's sensational and people like to watch it on TV, but take a little time to understand the science and it's obviously just made up to sell ads and books.

Great, my SUV is fucking up the Earth's Magnetic field.

Google South Atlantic Anomaly

Last edited:

WRONG it switches at RANDOM intervals and if that would kill us then the whole mamal population would have been killed of some time ago. The reversal will be virtually INSTANT and does NOT pose a threat. You know how I KNOW this? Because I studied it in my geology class.
Look it up for yourself.

Because of the relitively short span of time, geologically speaking, that such reversals take, it was long regarded that it was very quick. However, the story told by the Steens Mountain basalts have a much more complex plot. Since this article was written, much more work has been done, and the tale is even more complex than first indicated.

ScienceDirect - Earth and Planetary Science Letters : Core flow instabilities and geomagnetic storms during reversals: The Steens Mountain impulsive field variations revisited

Abstract
The origin of the large variations in magnetization direction recorded in two different lava flows at Steens Mountain, Oregon, is discussed. The time constant for lava-flow cooling and the amplitude of the variations imply extremely large variation rates for the ambient field, four orders of magnitude above the present-day secular variation. Two different mechanisms in the liquid outer core (namely turbulence and inertial waves) that may produce such variations are investigated. Energetic considerations indicate that the observed impulsive variations are unlikely to be of internal (core) origin. On the other hand, it is shown that during reversals, when the dipolar field is reduced by a factor ten, magnetic storm perturbations at the Earth's surface are enhanced by a factor two with respect to their present amplitude. It follows that intense magnetic storms can significantly contribute to ambient field changes during reversals. The amplitude of the impulsive variations recorded at Steens Mountain is shown to be consistent with the effect of a strong magnetic storm occurring during cooling of a flow. The direction of the variations is also shown to be consistent with this mechanism if the dipolar field contributes significantly to the internal field during the impulsive change.

I am following this story with much interest.

It's the same thing as the 2012 galactic non-alignment hoopla and the Yellowstone brouhaha and the Moon conspirators and their prattling about the Van Allen belts. It's sensational and people like to watch it on TV, but take a little time to understand the science and it's obviously just made up to sell ads and books.

Don't know what you mean by the Yellowstone brouhaha, but Yellowstone is a clear and present danger. In terms of geological time.

I am quite sure that it will erupt in a major way in the next 50,000 years. But it bears watching, for sure. We have evidence of geysers that blew off to the altitude of over 5000 ft in the not so distant past. That would definately ruin a lot of peoples vacation were it to happen near a campground. And, occasionly, it pops a little eruption off, about the size of, or a bit smaller, than St. Helens. That, too, could ruin a few vacations.

Were it to erupt in a major way now, it would be the end of the US as a world power. And create hardship the world over. The worst part of this is we have not had a major caldera volcano erupt in historical times, so we have no idea of what the precursors are.

Look it up for yourself.

Because of the relitively short span of time, geologically speaking, that such reversals take, it was long regarded that it was very quick. However, the story told by the Steens Mountain basalts have a much more complex plot. Since this article was written, much more work has been done, and the tale is even more complex than first indicated.

ScienceDirect - Earth and Planetary Science Letters : Core flow instabilities and geomagnetic storms during reversals: The Steens Mountain impulsive field variations revisited

Abstract
The origin of the large variations in magnetization direction recorded in two different lava flows at Steens Mountain, Oregon, is discussed. The time constant for lava-flow cooling and the amplitude of the variations imply extremely large variation rates for the ambient field, four orders of magnitude above the present-day secular variation. Two different mechanisms in the liquid outer core (namely turbulence and inertial waves) that may produce such variations are investigated. Energetic considerations indicate that the observed impulsive variations are unlikely to be of internal (core) origin. On the other hand, it is shown that during reversals, when the dipolar field is reduced by a factor ten, magnetic storm perturbations at the Earth's surface are enhanced by a factor two with respect to their present amplitude. It follows that intense magnetic storms can significantly contribute to ambient field changes during reversals. The amplitude of the impulsive variations recorded at Steens Mountain is shown to be consistent with the effect of a strong magnetic storm occurring during cooling of a flow. The direction of the variations is also shown to be consistent with this mechanism if the dipolar field contributes significantly to the internal field during the impulsive change.

If that were true we would have rocks that would have crystals that would form facing in ALL directions which I am not aware of being true. As I understand it those crystals point either N or S.

Yellow Stone is a "Hot spot" that is responsible for MANY other land formations. Like the Hawian islands have formed in a "string" from another "hot spot" so has a lot of geological formations in S.W. Idaho. The plate below Idaho is moving in a S.W. direction moving away from Yellow Stone. One thing for sure if Yellow Stone goes up it would likely be an "Earth Killer" type event.

Don't know what you mean by the Yellowstone brouhaha, but Yellowstone is a clear and present danger. In terms of geological time.

I am quite sure that it will erupt in a major way in the next 50,000 years. But it bears watching, for sure. We have evidence of geysers that blew off to the altitude of over 5000 ft in the not so distant past. That would definately ruin a lot of peoples vacation were it to happen near a campground. And, occasionly, it pops a little eruption off, about the size of, or a bit smaller, than St. Helens. That, too, could ruin a few vacations.

Were it to erupt in a major way now, it would be the end of the US as a world power. And create hardship the world over. The worst part of this is we have not had a major caldera volcano erupt in historical times, so we have no idea of what the precursors are.

This Yellowstone Caldera eruption is going to happen someday. Now this is something for people living in the mid west to be concerned about.!

Look it up for yourself.

Abstract

If that were true we would have rocks that would have crystals that would form facing in ALL directions which I am not aware of being true. As I understand it those crystals point either N or S.

Because most of the rock that is used for judging the direction of the field during its formation is erupted between the relitively short periods of transisition, that was thought to be the case. Here is an abstract to an article from the same area that indicates it is far more complex than that.

The 16.6 Ma Steens Mountain Geomagnetic Polarity Reversal: Additional Complexity

Publication Date:
05/2007
Origin:
AGU
AGU Keywords:
1115 Radioisotope geochronology, 1135 Correlative geochronology, 1520 Magnetostratigraphy, 1530 Rapid time variations, 1535 Reversals: process, timescale, magnetostratigraphy
Abstract Copyright:
(c) 2007: American Geophysical Union
Bibliographic Code:
2007AGUSMGP43A..07J

Abstract
The best known record of the earth's magnetic field behavior during a geomagnetic polarity reversal preserved in volcanic rock is the reverse to normal (R-N) polarity reversal found in the Steens Basalts of SE Oregon. At three locations where reverse to normal sections are found (Steens Mountain, Catlow Peak, and Poker Jim Ridge), four high precision 40Ar/39Ar plateau ages of plagioclase separates from transitionally magnetized rocks were determined. The ages are the same within error and have a weighted mean age of 16.58 ± 0.14 Ma. Errors are two sigma. A more precise constraint on the youngest possible age of the reversal is 16.548 ± 0.050 Ma determined from the normally magnetized Oregon Canyon tuff capping the Catlow Peak section. Comparison of these ages to the new geomagnetic polarity time scale of Gradstein et al. (A Geologic Time Scale 2004, 589 pp., Cambridge University Press, 2004.), after adjustments due to differences in Fish Canyon sanidine (FCs) standard ages (28.02 Ma, this study; 28.24 Ma, Gradstein et al.), shows that the Steens reversal is uniquely identified as the top of the C5Cr chron. The high precision of the ages and the Steens' reversal location in the geomagnetic polarity timescale convincingly demonstrate that these stratigraphically uncorrelated transitional sections were erupted during the same transition and their transitional paths should be combined. The high-quality, detailed benchmark record of this reversal (Mankinen et al., JGR, 90(B), 10.393-10.416, 1985; Prevot et al., Nature, 316, 230-234, 1985) is a composite derived from two sampled sections 2 km apart on Steens Mountain that overlapped significantly, Steens A above and Steens B below. This study showed that the magnetic field during the reversal moved from reverse to normal and then bounced back to transitional before finally returning to normal (a R-T-N-T-N path). The unexamined upper part of the Steens B section was later sampled and revealed an additional bounce of the field during the transition (Camps et al., JGR, 104(B8), 17747- 58, 1999). This increased the reversal's complexity to a R-T-N-T-N-T-N pattern. We have studied a R-N volcanic section at Catlow Peak 70 km SSE of Steens Mountain with 32 flows erupted during the transition. The transitional directions trace a path very close to the Steens A and B reversal path but contain an additional large swing through the reversed field direction, demonstrating an even more complex R-T-N-T-N-T-R-T-N path. We will also report on two R-N sections recently sampled at Poker Jim Ridge 80 km west of Steens Mountain that add new directions to the Steens record. The complex composite Steens reversal path recorded in these high fidelity lavas gives some credence to suggestions of very complex magnetic field behavior during reversals, previously seen only in sediment records where the acquisition of magnetization is less well understood.

Many birds depend on magnetic N/S fields to migrate

If there is a reversal.

Will this affect their migratory abilities and most will parish?

Obviously the geese and others have survived past periods of reversal. How it will affect the majority of the population will have to be seen at that time. Curious myself as to how that will play out.

This Yellowstone Caldera eruption is going to happen someday. Now this is something for people living in the mid west to be concerned about.!

50,000 years is a long time. Realizing that it might erupt much sooner, or even later than that. Yes, it bears watching. But not panicing about unless we start seeing major seimic activity there.

I know about the hazard in geological time, Rocks. And the Toba bottleneck doesn't give modern humans any reason to be complacent. I was referring more to the sensationalists screaming "we're overdue" and taking the natural actions of a breathing caldera as proof positive we're going to see an eruption in our lifetimes. In geological time Yellowstone may be a ticking time bomb, but in human terms the threat is remote.

Smells fishy to me, I'll bet Big Compass* is behind it

* they're like Big Oil, except they control the world compass market

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back