Earthquake in Pakistan

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051225/ap_on_re_as/pakistan_quake

Now I know what your asking, why put this in the politics section.

Well i check out the message board for the article and there are liberals trying to argue that global warming has caused more earthquakes. I am not lying here. Apparently they are trying to argue that the melting of the ice caps is putting more weight on the tetonic plates and causing more earthquakes.

Personally, i think they are nuts. I still havent seen sufficient evidence that global warming is occuring. And if it is I see no reason to believe that melting ice causes earthquakes. Or that either is the fault of human beings rather than the natural climate change of the earth.

I will admit the arguments are creative. I just find the assumptions lacking in substanance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051225/ap_on_re_as/pakistan_quake

Now I know what your asking, why put this in the politics section.

Well i check out the message board for the article and there are liberals trying to argue that global warming has caused more earthquakes. I am not lying here. Apparently they are trying to argue that the melting of the ice caps is putting more weight on the tetonic plates and causing more earthquakes.

Personally, i think they are nuts. I still havent seen sufficient evidence that global warming is occuring. And if it is I see no reason to believe that melting ice causes earthquakes. Or that either is the fault of human beings rather than the natural climate change of the earth.

I will admit the arguments are creative. I just find the assumptions lacking in substanance.

They were making the same claim last year when the tsunami hit (which coincidentally, also happened on Christmas day).

Earthquakes are caused by plate tectonics, i.e. the same thing that produces continental drift. The Earth's surface is divided into plates, which float on top of the material in the Earth's mantle. When those plates shift, an earthquake occurs. Global warming, if it exists, has nothing to do with it.

I could make the equally ludicrous claim, that, the tsunami of last Christmas and the earthquake this Christmas are both God's vengenance on the Moslem nations for waging war on the followers of His Son, i.e. the Christians. And I would be denounced as a right wing religious extemist, homophobic, sexist, racist and bigotted.

And apparently, some people are already making this claim.

Forum List

Back