Earthquake 6.6 hits Japan

:lol: Thanks for doing my homework for me. I've got to go read up on that and how it works. If they can predict quakes now even minutes in advance that's huge. Or if they're basing a warning system on the amount of time it takes the waves to travel from the epicenter to populated areas, it's still worth doing. Thanks! :thup:

I want a text message sent to my phone and 'puter.

:eek:

There's no such thing as early warning for an earthquake. They can't be predicted.

What they can do is make predictions as to what faults are "due" using the history of quakes on that fault, the amount and speed of movement in the plates that cause the faulting, any deformation surrounding the fault, the type of crust in which the fault occurs, and a whole host of other factors and calculate roughly how much stress has accumulated in the fault since it was last released versus how much stress the fault can likely withstand before it goes off.

That's how they can determine a certain fault has a certain percent chance of a certain size quake within a range of years. But there are too many known and unknown variables, that's as close as they can get at this point.

Sorry to burst your bubble, even a few minutes' warning could save a lot of lives. Maybe some day! With the number of people in the US and worldwide living in dangerous fault zones, the research should be a high priority.

i believe he was talking about Tsunami's...not quakes....

There's no such thing as early warning for an earthquake. They can't be predicted.

What they can do is make predictions as to what faults are "due" using the history of quakes on that fault, the amount and speed of movement in the plates that cause the faulting, any deformation surrounding the fault, the type of crust in which the fault occurs, and a whole host of other factors and calculate roughly how much stress has accumulated in the fault since it was last released versus how much stress the fault can likely withstand before it goes off.

That's how they can determine a certain fault has a certain percent chance of a certain size quake within a range of years. But there are too many known and unknown variables, that's as close as they can get at this point.

Sorry to burst your bubble, even a few minutes' warning could save a lot of lives. Maybe some day! With the number of people in the US and worldwide living in dangerous fault zones, the research should be a high priority.

i believe he was talking about Tsunami's...not quakes....

No, it was the quake. Apparently japan has a warning system good enough to get information out between the time movement is detected at the epicenter and when it reaches populated areas. They take this seriously there. I wonder if it would work in a place like California though, where the main fault is on land and directly under urban areas?

It's still impressive. I doubt our current system could get info out that fast. They don't have all the different layers of Federal and State bureaucracy to coordinate, not to mention contacting the privately owned tv and radio stations rather than a State owned broadcaster. It's logistics here. But good for them!

It's still impressive. I doubt our current system could get info out that fast. They don't have all the different layers of Federal and State bureaucracy to coordinate, not to mention contacting the privately owned tv and radio stations rather than a State owned broadcaster. It's logistics here. But good for them!

sure, but I'm not moving to Japan any time soon. Hawaii maybe. Japan, not likely,

God!!! My best friend's about to go to Japan for foreign education. But with those earthquake, i don't know how he can live there :eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back