Earth Day... 40 Years of Human Self-Loathing....

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Earth Day Network

^Check out the Partners... Classic.

If Memory Serves me, these People were Predicting another Ice Age WAY back in the Neanderthal Days of the 1970's...

Weren't they?...

Anyway, it doesn't Matter if the Earth Warms or Cools, or stays 100% Average regarding Climate, these People will Find a way to Punish Humans for it.

:)

peace...

please tell me you're kidding, hon.

being responsible is not self-loathing.

I Think MUCH of it is Based in Self-Loathing...

I don't Burn my Trash in the Backyard and Dump my Oil in the Grass...

I take Cans to get Recycled...

I Drive a Honda Accord that's Recycled... 1992.

We don't Need a Holiday and an Obvious Political Movement to do the Right thing on a Daily...

Check the Earth Day Site...

This is a Fucking Religion.

And NO Matter what goes on regarding the Climate, Man will be the Bad Guy.

It was that way in the 1970's when they were Scaremongering another Ice Age, and it's NO Different NOW.

peace...

Paul H. Rubin: Environmentalism as Religion - WSJ.com
Many observers have made the point that environmentalism is eerily close to a religious belief system, since it includes creation stories and ideas of original sin. But there is another sense in which environmentalism is becoming more and more like a religion: It provides its adherents with an identity.

Scientists are understandably uninterested in religious stories because they do not meet the basic criterion for science: They cannot be tested. God may or may not have created the world—there is no way of knowing, although we do know that the biblical creation story is scientifically incorrect. Since we cannot prove or disprove the existence of God, science can't help us answer questions about the truth of religion as a method of understanding the world.

But scientists, particularly evolutionary psychologists, have identified another function of religion in addition to its function of explaining the world. Religion often supplements or replaces the tribalism that is an innate part of our evolved nature.

Original religions were tribal rather than universal. Each tribe had its own god or gods, and the success of the tribe was evidence that their god was stronger than others.

But modern religions have largely replaced tribal gods with universal gods and allowed unrelated individuals from outside the tribe to join. Identification with a religion has replaced identification with a tribe. While many decry religious wars, modern religion has probably net reduced human conflict because there are fewer tribal wars. (Anthropologists have shown that tribal wars are even more lethal per capita than modern wars.)

It is this identity-creating function that environmentalism provides. As the world becomes less religious, people can define themselves as being Green rather than being Christian or Jewish.

Consider some of the ways in which environmental behaviors echo religious behaviors and thus provide meaningful rituals for Greens:

• There is a holy day—Earth Day.

• There are food taboos. Instead of eating fish on Friday, or avoiding pork, Greens now eat organic foods and many are moving towards eating only locally grown foods.

• There is no prayer, but there are self-sacrificing rituals that are not particularly useful, such as recycling. Recycling paper to save trees, for example, makes no sense since the effect will be to reduce the number of trees planted in the long run.

• Belief systems are embraced with no logical basis. For example, environmentalists almost universally believe in the dangers of global warming but also reject the best solution to the problem, which is nuclear power. These two beliefs co-exist based on faith, not reason.

• There are no temples, but there are sacred structures. As I walk around the Emory campus, I am continually confronted with recycling bins, and instead of one trash can I am faced with several for different sorts of trash. Universities are centers of the environmental religion, and such structures are increasingly common. While people have worshipped many things, we may be the first to build shrines to garbage.

• Environmentalism is a proselytizing religion. Skeptics are not merely people unconvinced by the evidence: They are treated as evil sinners. I probably would not write this article if I did not have tenure.

Some conservatives spend their time criticizing the way Darwin is taught in schools. This is pointless and probably counterproductive. These same efforts should be spent on making sure that the schools only teach those aspects of environmentalism that pass rigorous scientific testing. By making the point that Greenism is a religion, perhaps we environmental skeptics can enlist the First Amendment on our side.

Mr. Rubin is a professor of economics at Emory University. He is the author of "Darwinian Politics: The Evolutionary Origin of Freedom" (Rutgers University Press, 2002).

Environmentalists think that man is the cause of all the earths woes and the worst thing to happen to the earth.

That, Jill, is self loathing.

Environmentalists think that man is the cause of all the earths woes and the worst thing to happen to the earth.

no. that's the characterization by the rightwingnuts.

there are extremists in every area. i don't have much use for PETA loons either and I love animals. but an acknowledgement that we EXACERBATE circumstances by not being good shepards of our environment is simply stupid.

there is no self-loathing about it.

there are extremists in every area. i don't have much use for PETA loons either and I love animals. but an acknowledgement that we EXACERBATE circumstances by not being good shepards of our environment is simply stupid.

Then I'm not Directing this Thread at you...

I've already told you that I don't Deliberately Pollute, I Recycle and I Drive a Used Car that's 18yrs Old that gets Great Gas Mileage and Live in a Used House that's over 60yrs Old...

The Earth Dayers... The One's who are Celebrating Today and Expecting others to Join them, even with Force of Law, are NO Different to me than the Birthers or the Truthers.

peace...

Cheaped out this morning and just found a $1.99 plastic Earth Day flag. Fifteen seconds of fun with a lighter. So...any other Earth Day activities for you?

This self-loathing thing is out of control. I listened to the news last night and now the nuts are trying to say the volcaneos are going to erupt more in Iceland because the glaciers are melting. They claim the ice forms a cap with downward pressure to hold back the volcaneos. To me, that just sounds like something that would let the pressure build more and lead to a more violent eruption. Anyways, they are attempting to blame man. Pretty lame.

Mr Rubin's article is interesting. And I agree with much of it. But just as I accept the Judeo-Christian principles underlying my country's legal system and sense of morals as being beneficial I can accept the tenets of the Green religion as being beneficial for humankind. I don't have to worship in a church, a synagogue or a forest, I just abide by the principles espoused.

At this point the environmentalists have taken things to the extreme. There are too many personal demands being thrown into the environmentalist pot - and not a lot of resolution of these demands. Trees are probably in less danger now of becoming paper because of replanting programs, recycling, etc. - but the original solution of using plastic in order to save the trees has become one of our largest environmental nightmares. The plastic is going to be around for a long, long time because it doesn't decompose quickly. The EPA is another bureaucratic nightmare that moves very, very slowly and is not all that effective. We still have lots of emissions going into our air and crap entering our waterways.

Making the earth more environmentally friendly takes personal responsibility, character and courtesy in general. Forcing "solutions" down people's throats is not necessarily productive and/or well received by the general population.

Mr Rubin's article is interesting. And I agree with much of it. But just as I accept the Judeo-Christian principles underlying my country's legal system and sense of morals as being beneficial I can accept the tenets of the Green religion as being beneficial for humankind. I don't have to worship in a church, a synagogue or a forest, I just abide by the principles espoused.

Take Action | Earth Day Network

If only Free Will were the Goal...

These Earth Dayers don't want you to Willingly Participate...

They are Moving for Legislation and have been for YEARS.

peace...

I would agree with you. Man is damaging the environment in many cases. I respect your opinion. I guess I was referring more the PETA and other more extreme organizations.
I also love animals and have never and would never purposefully kill an animal, unless I didn't have any other food. I don't, however, feel that animals have rights. They don't have rights, but we do have the responsibility as man to take care of the earth and the animals in a responsible way.

I personally feel it is wrong to kill an animal for sport, but wouldn't stop someone else from doing so.

Malcontent, another person who thinks life is a fantasy land where we have an unlimited supply of resources, garbage just magically disappears, and there is no such thing as pollution.
:cuckoo:

The people that tend to make this a political thing is conservatives, god forbid they are a bit inconvenienced by some realities that aren't very pleasant, and tiny bit more effort to recycle and be a little more conscious of human effects on the environment

Last edited:

Malcontent, another person who thinks life is a fantasy land where we have an unlimited supply of resources, garbage just magically disappears, and there is no such thing as pollution.

The people that tend to make this a political thing is conservatives, god forbid they are a bit inconvenienced by some realities that aren't very pleasant, and tiny bit more effort to recycle and be a little more conscious of human effects on the environment

Dr. Gregg... the one that knows better than we do about how to live our lives responsibly and the one that forces his environmental morals on others.

^My Posts in this Thread Defy Dipshit's LATE Claims...

Try again, Shitpack. :lol:

peace...

^My Posts in this Thread Defy Dipshit's LATE Claims...

Try again, Shitpack. :lol:

peace...

He said shitpack :lol:

I set out the recycle bin every first and third Wednesday. Hard to feel that your saving the planet when you find out they just throw it in the land fill most of the time. Even the environmental technologies guys need to have recycling make a buck or just find the cheapest way to get rid of the stuff. A bet most of you enviro-faithers thought all that stuff got turned into park benchs huh?

Earth Day Network

^Check out the Partners... Classic.

If Memory Serves me, these People were Predicting another Ice Age WAY back in the Neanderthal Days of the 1970's...

Weren't they?...

Anyway, it doesn't Matter if the Earth Warms or Cools, or stays 100% Average regarding Climate, these People will Find a way to Punish Humans for it.

peace...

Mother Earth has been busy creating Earthquakes killing hundreds of thousands of people. Maybe we should go back to virgin sacrifices to appease Mother Earth, but I doubt we'll find any.

Happy Earth Day Everybody. Whether you celebrate it by planting a tree or killing one, do it from the heart.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be Fruitful,
Multiply,
Replenish.

:) :) :) :) :)

Forum List

Back